Jeremiah started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cherry Picking Boards For Above Avg PM Recovery

I've always wondered if buyers would offer $5-8 per pound for a colelction of motherboards that are special in terms of PM recovery. For example, a collection of extreamly old boards or ones with CPUs soldered. Anyone every had any experience with this?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No never tried it but numbers a data dont lie. Im sure if all your boards were from 1965-1993 then you would expect to get a higher board grading. And if you dont i would look into a new buyer. Even 100lbs of them would mean double or triple the amounts of PMs recovered. I still dream of the day i can get a few tons of 1970's computers. Probably would be my first attempt to do a commercial refining route. This 1995 and onwards the PM amounts become tiny and you need more material, more cost, just to even get close to the smaller amount of older gear.
    Born to think, destine to succeed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunemaul for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    True! Even older brown boards have more pm.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    That's funny! I have boxes of old ISA boards and EDO RAM, but no buyers wish to admit the PM in those are any better than later models? Go figure!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Why would they bother to tell us bear its how they make there money.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunemaul for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    That could very well be the reason why they're still in my boxes ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Find any oddity chips? i was looking at the versions of intel 4004 seems 1 is loaded up. but its worth way more in scrap. Also found out bout bally pinball machines and the microprocessors of the ones right around the turn of switching over. Now i know if i come across some ratted out scrap pinball machines to scoop them up at steel pricing. There be treasure in them hills.

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Dunemaul:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunemaul View Post
    Find any oddity chips? i was looking at the versions of intel 4004 seems 1 is loaded up. but its worth way more in scrap. Also found out bout bally pinball machines and the microprocessors of the ones right around the turn of switching over. Now i know if i come across some ratted out scrap pinball machines to scoop them up at steel pricing. There be treasure in them hills.
    Ive found a few oddity chips. Dec J-11

My collection is starting to grow. Zilog Z-80 center right

Dec Alpha in a 499 scocket on a 24767 board out of a Compaq personal server. Kept the MoBo out of 2 servers and the third server is good boots to BIOS just need to add OS.

Found a nice set of Moto 88100/88200 from what I can tell they are pretty rare.

wiki Quote:
    MC88100
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

The MC88100 is a microprocessor developed by Motorola that implemented 88000 instruction set architecture. Announced in 1988, the MC88100 was the first 88000 implementation. It was succeeded by the MC88110 in the early 1990s.

The microprocessor was a superscalar design with multiple integer and floating-point units that executed instructions in-order. The MC88100 had separate instruction and data caches. These caches were implemented with the MC88200 integrated circuit, which contains a memory management unit and an amount of cache. The MC88100 requires two of these devices for each cache, and additional MC88200s could be added to increase the size of the caches.

This partitioned scheme was chosen to provide system flexibility, the amount of cache could be varied depending on the price point. In practice, these additional chips required more space on the circuit board and the buses between the MC88200s and MC88100 added complexity and cost.

The MC88100 contained 165,000 transistors and the MC88200 750,000 transistors. Both were fabricated by Motorola in its 1.5 μm complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor process.

The MC88100 was ultimately commercially unsuccessful.[citation needed] This was due to a number of reasons, including requirement of MC88200s, but was mostly due to Motorola being a vendor of the highly successful 68000 family. As the 68000 division viewed the 88000 as a competitor, they forced the MC88100 to be priced unacceptably high for a volume part.[citation needed] The part did find use in the high-end embedded market, in Motorola's own computers, and in large computers from companies such as Data General and the Unisys S-8400 Unix Servers.
    Last edited by jaydee1445; 07-18-2012 at 06:50 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunemaul View Post
    Depends on which 4004 you are working with I have sold some for more than scrap value.
    We buy electronic scrap, Gold Karat scrap, gold filled, refined gold, silver and many other item's.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Barren im working on a post that your gonna love. It connects the gold chips to the machines they came out of. and shows the different versions of the chips.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah jaydee i saw you post in the vintage CPU forums. Also been stalking barren at gold refining forums lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    I remember playing those old bally pinball machines. I loveed them when I was a kid, WOW that was a long time ago.Wish I had all the quarters I droped in those machines, I could go on vacation.
    Last edited by happyscraper; 07-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.

17. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. More money from Hard Drives - Data recovery boards
      By wdaddy in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
    2. Trash Picking isn't possible in my town. What should I do?
      By Kochy in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-01-2012, 01:19 AM
    3. Avg Weight of Larger Copier Machines
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 07-29-2012, 10:29 PM
    4. avg. weight of computer tower?
      By fl1870 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM
    5. So I popped my cherry today...