old junk yard i stumbled apon

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    rebelflagpatriot started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

old junk yard i stumbled apon

hey every one, its that young gun again,

so im in a bit of bind for money and honestly the crops in michigan arnt great this year, so my boss cant supply me with work. so im broke. But i found a old junk yard behind my house, on our property a while back, there are pianos, t.vs. microwaves. a old car battery. and toilets and old bikes. can i scrap these? or is it not worth my time? out of the appliances can i dissemble any? and what should i look for if i do.....getting money sucks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelflagpatriot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    good luck scrapping porcelain toilets. watch a few videos of breaking these items down, you'll see whats in them, and how to sort it all
    We're the renegades of Junk!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    If its truely an old junk yard you may find some great stuff. Items thrown away many years ago can be collectable today. Also beware that items thrown in the trash years ago might contain hazardous material. To answer your general question anything made of metal can be recycled. As far as bicycles are concerned mostly just remove the tires and put them in with the steel.

What you should be doing is reading all the old threads on this forum. You don't know what you don't know readin will help you alot, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    hek yeah, even the old piano has an iron soundboard in it. There's an ancient one in an old barn here that's about to fall down around it, I just haven't figured a way to get it out of there yet ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    bear if there is nothing but scrap in the barn i would just do a controlled burn. Collect the metal a rebuild if you want to. Then again i see big money coming out of old barns like that with crap shoved into the rafters or under the section that fell in. I'd call American archeology out there have them crawl around in it, then when they say there aint nothing left have one hell of a bon fire lol.
    Born to think, destine to succeed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    spend a week studying the archives then , go to the back yard and make some money.

On my trip to the yard yesterday to collect some tool and survival money, it turned my stomach to see so many survival "scrappers" who had no Idea what they were doing. sorry to be so blunt but this hurts every one. people bringing in 2 0r three bicycles with tires still attached, what can be easier then breaking down a bicycle for premium $. some brought in hand fulls of copper with hoses and other attachments for 35 cent MLC price when copper is $2.20. $2 vs $8 or $9. he88 it cost $5 to bring the stuff in. for the most part these were not people who were just recycling for the ECO value, they needed that $2. one guy brought in some compressors and motors and a disposal with all the attachment still attached and got mixed metal price.

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunemaul View Post
    bear if there is nothing but scrap in the barn i would just do a controlled burn. Collect the metal a rebuild if you want to. Then again i see big money coming out of old barns like that with crap shoved into the rafters or under the section that fell in. I'd call American archeology out there have them crawl around in it, then when they say there aint nothing left have one hell of a bon fire lol.
    That was an early consideration Dune, but it has a good tin roof I don't want to ruin. The only thing holding it up now are some pecan trees that have grown up around it! So, I'm just patiently waiting ; )

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    That was an early consideration Dune, but it has a good tin roof I don't want to ruin. The only thing holding it up now are some pecan trees that have grown up around it! So, I'm just patiently waiting ; )
    You might want to help it by pulling it on down and tear it apart after it's on the ground. When their rickety it's the only safe way.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    You might want to help it by pulling it on down and tear it apart after it's on the ground. When their rickety it's the only safe way.
    I'll do that Mech, maybe wait till this winter when the snakes are all gone to bed ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    The barn sounds like it is in bad shape but some people like old barn word. Mike

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    That older lumber is nice and a 2x4 actually was 2x4 not 1.5 x3.5
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to taterjuice for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    If a bicycle has steel wheels I don't take the tire off, you would be taken wieght off. If the wheel is alluminum then I take thr tire off and sell the rim as exstruded alluminum. Why do more work than you have to?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There's an old bicycle in a shed I'm hoping to clean out soon, also hoping she'll let me take the bike, It's like got the rail on front, kinda like an old Indian motorcycle. She's a friend of my Mom's, and I've been telling her when I found anything of real potential value (sentimental or monetary/or both), but I would like to see what I could do with that ol bike

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If its a old indian bike...beter check it. Seems to be worth tons of cash. Call up the american pickers..lol.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzy214 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post
    If its a old indian bike...beter check it. Seems to be worth tons of cash. Call up the american pickers..lol.
    who are "the american pickers" ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    who are "the american pickers" ?
    LOL. Do you have Television? History Channel, They're on all the time, Mike and Frank, American Archeaology, They go around and buy stuff out of people's collections of old junk

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    American pickers...excellent show, tho Frank can get on your nerves real quick. lol.

Good show, I watch it on regular tv when I can, failing that.. netflix for the first 3 seasons! I also use a free tv site but..I'll error on the side of caution an not post the link to it though.

You'd like it for nothing else then the crap they pull out of old barns, houses, yards, etc.

Sirscrapalot - Enjoys the items they find and sell.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post

Actually, I got it yesterday, it's in pretty bad shape, and the front tire is missing, but I'll probly still be looking for it a second home. In the front of the rail compartment, or whatever that thing is called (it would be the gas tank on a motorcyle) are two tiny light sockets(one still has a bulb in it) but the lense isn't on it ( if it ever had one)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Doesnt matter, sttill worth money, Maybe a couple hundrend. Mike Wolfe | American Pickers | Antique Archaeology | History Channel

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzy214 for This Post:

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Junk yard game
      By hobo finds in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
    2. junk yards, salvage yard confused
      By corycouch in forum More than Scrap Value
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
    3. Questions for car scrappers and/or junk yard owners
      By Mick in forum Off Topic Discussions