Ditchdigger started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Dumpsters on construction sites--Boy Scouts

Just throwing this out there, because it's something I'd not heard of before, and can't find any reference to it with a search here...

Going past a local excavator's yard, I've seen a Waste Management dumpster there with a banner hanging on it, Boy Scout Troop xxx. Dunno what that's about in particular.

Yesterday (Saturday) I'm passing my local Wendy's hamburger location, and there are two dunpsters in the parking lot. They're apparently replacing the facade on the building. Somebody in a pickup truck has the gate open on one of the dumpsters and is loading out all the sheet metal that's been torn off the building.

Today (yes, Sunday) I stopped there for a burger, and they were working, right outside the drive-thru windows. (Probably less business to disrupt on a Sunday.) Can't even pull up close enough to the window to pay or get the food. One of the construction guys is standing there, passing the money in to the cashier, the change back to me, and then the bag with the food. So I asked him, "Hey, what's your policy on the scrap metal?"

He tells me they're giving it to the Boy Scouts.

I guess that explains the guy loading his truck from the one dumpster.

Just a couple of things for the discussion here--

A) I didn't know the Scouts were competing with the rest of the dumpster divers for scrap. Did you?

And,

B) It comes up often enough on this board about whether it's ok to dumpster dive on construction sites. Apparently, if you do so without checking first, you might be taking something that's been earmarked for some non-profit organization.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditchdigger for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Apparently one of the troop leaders must have some scrapping experience and made the contact with the local Wendy's owner. I think it's just a local thing in your area but the idea might spread as a fund raiser. Locally here I see several "Can Bins" that have different non-profit names on them.
    If it wasn't for the $ in $crap, it would just be.....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    (1) I was dumpster diving one time and a cop pulls up and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was looking for scrap metal. He looked in the dumpster and saw there was trash in it and said" well looks like it's a trash dumpster, if it was all metal you would be going to jail" Then got back in his car and left. Ti dose not hurt to ask before going in someones dumpster. (2) the boy scouts around here have big roll offs for cans,plastic bottles, paper ect. as a way to raise money and now it looks like hiere going after the steel too.

Ditchdigger started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    (2) the boy scouts around here have big roll offs for cans,plastic bottles, paper ect. as a way to raise money and now it looks like hiere going after the steel too.
    Yeah. I just thought to use Google to find info:

Google

Some of the results are about how they did scrap metal drives during WWII, but there are others about their current activities in the field. Apparently they know a money making proposition when they see one too...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    yeah. the scouts have into recycling as a way to fundraise forever...... its usually not a constant thing but they do it often.
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i seen schools clubs and other organizations having ewaste fundraisers a bunch of times
    collecting san joses scrap

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    Just throwing this out there, because it's something I'd not heard of before, and can't find any reference to it with a search here...

Going past a local excavator's yard, I've seen a Waste Management dumpster there with a banner hanging on it, Boy Scout Troop xxx. Dunno what that's about in particular.

Yesterday (Saturday) I'm passing my local Wendy's hamburger location, and there are two dunpsters in the parking lot. They're apparently replacing the facade on the building. Somebody in a pickup truck has the gate open on one of the dumpsters and is loading out all the sheet metal that's been torn off the building.

Today (yes, Sunday) I stopped there for a burger, and they were working, right outside the drive-thru windows. (Probably less business to disrupt on a Sunday.) Can't even pull up close enough to the window to pay or get the food. One of the construction guys is standing there, passing the money in to the cashier, the change back to me, and then the bag with the food. So I asked him, "Hey, what's your policy on the scrap metal?"

He tells me they're giving it to the Boy Scouts.

I guess that explains the guy loading his truck from the one dumpster.

Just a couple of things for the discussion here--

A) I didn't know the Scouts were competing with the rest of the dumpster divers for scrap. Did you?

And,

B) It comes up often enough on this board about whether it's ok to dumpster dive on construction sites. Apparently, if you do so without checking first, you might be taking something that's been earmarked for some non-profit organization.
    One of the guys who owns a construction business that we used to hunt with leads a boy scout troop. And there was just recently a graduation party at his house and I saw a pile of metal and they told me he scraps it for his boy scout troop. Aswell he has a huge can crusher that he made up of steel beams and a hydraulic thing. It looks sick. But yeah, I guess they do it to raise money for trips and what not.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wish i would have know about scrapping when i was a scout..would have 10+ years in by now..watch out in the future..those eagle scouts may be able to make some headway collecting all that escrap out there

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemeate View Post
    i seen schools clubs and other organizations having ewaste fundraisers a bunch of times
    Around here, hardly anyone uses those drives. They get next to nothing off of those E-Waste collections

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitar View Post
    Around here, hardly anyone uses those drives. They get next to nothing off of those E-Waste collections
    They usually get paid pennies on the dollar.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's nice to see the metal is being collected to benefit a good cause but also stinksthat it's possibly taking away from a fellow scrapper trying to make a hard earned dollar to provide for his family. Cause and effect at its finest

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My Boy Scout Troop does nothing like that. I think I am going to use scrapping as one of my major fundraisers for my Eagle Scout project though. But I would just do it by myself.
    YOSF (You Only Scrap Forever)
    YOLO (You Only Live Once)

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. oh boy what did i get myself into..........
      By ozzy214 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM
    2. Construction sites
      By GeorgeB in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
    3. auction sites
      By PartTimeScrapper in forum Auction Talk
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 08-30-2011, 01:25 AM
    4. Gold in game boy games...