Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Storage Auctions

| Scrap Metal Spots
    GeorgeB started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Storage Auctions

Not sure who told me this, whether it was a fellow scrapper that I know, or someone here, but on any account, I just found out about auctions.

I didn't think that they let you see what is inside of them, but they do. You are allowed to look inside of them, see what is there, and if you like it, you bid on it.

So my question is this, how many of you incorporate auctions in your scrapping business and are pleased with it, and how do you determine if it is worth bidding on or not?

George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I personally like auctions. I never went to a storage auctions but auctions themselves I love. I just started myself going to them but never been disappointed on them. For both auctions and storage auctions you can look on auctionzip.com, type in your zip code and what radius you want to look and there is a lot of auctions pending where you are at. Most have pics or says what they are selling or part of it a few days before. Some don't know till an hour before but to me it never hurts to go look.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi22! for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I spend more time at auctions then I do recyling but they are both tied together in one of my businesses. I go to several different auctions including storage, I have a great time and make good money.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    I spend more time at auctions then I do recyling but they are both tied together in one of my businesses. I go to several different auctions including storage, I have a great time and make good money.
    Besides storage auctions, what other types of auctions do you attend?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi22! View Post
    I personally like auctions. I never went to a storage auctions but auctions themselves I love. I just started myself going to them but never been disappointed on them. For both auctions and storage auctions you can look on auctionzip.com, type in your zip code and what radius you want to look and there is a lot of auctions pending where you are at. Most have pics or says what they are selling or part of it a few days before. Some don't know till an hour before but to me it never hurts to go look.
    What do you generally find at them, that keeps your interest to keep going back to them?

Thanks for the url. I will definitely check them out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You're welcome. Well, from the few I attended I picked up cpus, monitors, some Cisco power sources which weigh atleast 50lbs each, and quit a few other things I can't recall att. But generally there is everything a scrapper would love from electronics to metal. They sold an ac unit at one I attended. Electronics usually sell for cheap at one auction place I go to cause nobody knows about escrap and I went to a city surplus auction today that just sold ridiculous stuff for way cheap. You can even find food items at a good amount of auctions.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi22! View Post
    You're welcome. Well, from the few I attended I picked up cpus, monitors, some Cisco power sources which weigh atleast 50lbs each, and quit a few other things I can't recall att. But generally there is everything a scrapper would love from electronics to metal. They sold an ac unit at one I attended. Electronics usually sell for cheap at one auction place I go to cause nobody knows about escrap and I went to a city surplus auction today that just sold ridiculous stuff for way cheap. You can even find food items at a good amount of auctions.
    Was it a storage auction that you went to for the few things you mentioned or something else?

Yeah, I definitely am interest in auctions now that I know you can see the contents before making a bid.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Storage auctions can be a great source of revenue and can produce some sweet finds....Before I started in e-cycling my wife and I did a lot of eBay and we attended many storage auctions. The best ones, at least for us, were in the small towns where there were few bidders. We bought one unit for $75 and right away sold the furniture inside for $150....We went on to find dozens of new in box Princess Barbie dolls ($50 each on eBay at that time) and new in box Cabbage Patch Kids ($100 each and up on eBay at that time). We made a killing. But not everyone is a homerun to be sure. Even the professional buyers will tell you that it is a fickle business to say the least.

School auctions are my favorite haunt now. They sell a lot of good stuff at very low prices.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    School auctions are my favorite haunt now. They sell a lot of good stuff at very low prices.
    One of my faves as well, wide selection of things from restaurant items to tools and of course school stuff that home school and daycare people love to buy.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Who did you contact to find out about the school auctions?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    In my area the school auctions are listed in the newspaper....Most of the school systems have an auction twice a year. However, you could contact the main office of the school system and ask about auctions.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    In my area the school auctions are listed in the newspaper....Most of the school systems have an auction twice a year. However, you could contact the main office of the school system and ask about auctions.
    Thanks for the tip. I know another way I can implement too.

Just to offer to take any metal or electronics that are beyond repair and not worth selling or auctioning off.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you guys haven't watched it yet, check out "Storage Wars" on A&E. They have a marathon on right now! Good stuff!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I love Storage Wars!!!! I tell you what though...That Dave Hester should be smacked!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I love Storage Wars!!!! I tell you what though...That Dave Hester should be smacked!
    I love him and the other guys. They don't know what things are worth and don't let people cheat them either! lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think Barry is my favorite....He just plays it cool all the way around....Usually he gets bit in the butt but every once in a while he hits something pretty good....For me nothing beats that coin collection that Darrell and his son picked up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think Barry is my favorite....He just plays it cool all the way around....Usually he gets bit in the butt but every once in a while he hits something pretty good....For me nothing beats that coin collection that Darrell and his son picked up.
    I saw that episode too. If I was Darrell, I would have done the same thing myself. Put it in my safe, and kept it for my kids.

The guy and his wife/gf though are funny. They never get anything in the episodes. Either he wants it, and she doesn't or vice versa lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeppers, Jarrod and Brandi are their own worst enemy during most of the auctions. They have passed up some great deals because of their bickering.

Nonetheless, Storage Wars is a great show. I can't believe what they pay for some of those units though. Half the time it is just their egos getting in their way and they end up overpaying for something stupid.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Shows have really driven the prices up and have drawn the whole process out longer then it used to be with everyone needing to take a peek even if their not bidding. That being said, I still tune in. Went to one yesterday that was moving crates and misc leftovers...pretty reasonable prices for a change.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Wish I didnt have to work yesterday I was going to hit that one too KZ. get any for your time?

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. auctions
      By timy in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
    2. Site to find storage auctions local to you
      By GeorgeB in forum Misc. Metal Recycling
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
    3. auctions:
      By EcoSafe in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 8