Try selling before scrapping

| More than Scrap Value
    GeorgeB started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Try selling before scrapping

This is more for the newbies than anyone else.

Anytime you get scrap metal, ESPECIALLY appliances, always ask if there is anything wrong with them. A majority of the time, they will work and people just simply upgraded is all.

When you get appliances, one of the places to easily sell is using Craigslist.org. I would suggest going to their appliances for sale section. See what other appliances are selling for, and sell yours for less.

Almost all appliances go for $100 or more on my local CL appliances section.

I just got a washer and dryer that both work, put them on Craigslist for $60 for the pair firm, with a $20 delivery charge. In 3 hours, I had a lady interest. She works for a LARGE commercial realty trust in the area, so with any luck, I will land some business from her.

I know that immediate money might always seem better, but if you do get things that work, just give it a day or two, and you might be surprised!
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

2. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by GeorgeB:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Last time I did that with an appliance, it was a refrigerator I gave to a guy I know. It worked for one day. Fortunately, I hadn't charged him anything for it, so he brought it back and dumped it off.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Last time I did that with an appliance, it was a refrigerator I gave to a guy I know. It worked for one day. Fortunately, I hadn't charged him anything for it, so he brought it back and dumped it off.

I will test them out myself before I do anything. I know I would be highly ticked if I paid anything for an appliance and that happened.

We bought a refrigerator about 3 years ago now for $100 from Habitat for Humanity. Still working.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah, one never knows what will bring in some fast cash....We just bought 370 pounds of old police radios and radar systems from a government auction. Come to find out many of them are worth some pretty decent money. Sold one radio system for more than what we paid for the whole lot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts
    What I like is finding the appliances that have notes taped to them saying what is wrong with it. Once I came across one that had ''6 years old, won't spin'' on a washer which saved me lots of time of trying to figure out on my own what was wrong with it. People will usually tell you whats wrong with them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newattitude View Post
    What I like is finding the appliances that have notes taped to them saying what is wrong with it. Once I came across one that had ''6 years old, won't spin'' on a washer which saved me lots of time of trying to figure out on my own what was wrong with it. People will usually tell you whats wrong with them.
    Most of the time the whole reason it wont spike is burnt out motor or broken belt that causes it to spin. Worth fixing up and selling if you are able to sell below what others are currently selling theirs for.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    Yeah, one never knows what will bring in some fast cash....We just bought 370 pounds of old police radios and radar systems from a government auction. Come to find out many of them are worth some pretty decent money. Sold one radio system for more than what we paid for the whole lot.
    My wife bought some type of CB radio (hand held) when she graduated from high school. Her mom and her were both EMT's for a while. Now, my wife belongs to the VADF which stands for the Virginia Defense Force. They are the relief to the National Guard, but can only be deployed in the state of VA.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Washers are fairly easy to test outside. But what about when you get a dryer or a stove that supposedly works? Dragging it in the house is not an option. How would you sell it? Tell the buyer to bring it back for a refund if it doesn't? And if it is older with the 3-prong hookup, is it even worth it to sell?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I have rigged up a cord that I can run from my dryer plug to the garage...unless you know exactly what your doing I would not bother tho...not much room for error when dealing with that kind of amperage/voltage.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    I added a sub panel and pulled # 6 wire to my workshop for my welder and testing AC units. It don't cost to much if you can do it yourself.
    As KZ said if you don't know how don't do it! One mistake and you can burn down the house.
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If that were not an option (I have no garage at home and my shop does not have 230v) would you just sell it to them and offer a full refund if it did not work? Provided they bring it back. Or just scrap it now?

I don't own the shop, so getting them to run a 230v drop will cost me money. At the house it may be a possibility down the road, but not now.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I just simply test them. My in laws have a basement, with a hook up for a washer and dryer, even though it is all upstairs. So I take them down there and hook them up.

Be to much of a waste if I sold it, then had to go pick it up, and provide a refund. Not worth all of that.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    sometimes appliance repair shops/secondhand appliance stores will test them for you and make you an offer on it depending on wether it works or not, everytime i have one there interested in he pays a little more then scrap price for non working ones and pretty well for stuff that does work.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    have youall ever sold a claw foot tub that needs refinishing? or just scrap them?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decjr2006 View Post
    have youall ever sold a claw foot tub that needs refinishing? or just scrap them?
    Not a claw foot, but a plain cast iron tub. Sold for $100.

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 8
      Last Post: 09-18-2014, 11:31 AM
    2. selling parts instead of scrapping them: which sell well?
      By ilyaz in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-10-2014, 07:28 AM
    3. Question about selling H.D.'s
      By Mechanic688 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM
    4. Need advice scrapping trailers! New to scrapping!
      By Instaed in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Thread Information