Hybrid View

kcscrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

should i scrap or sell this engine and tranny

Buddy gave me a V8 302 with a C4 tranny but the block has been sitting outside for about 10 year thing I should try and sell it on craigslist before I scrap it?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Never hurts to try. Only takes time. If you dont need the money scrap would bring right now take the time and list it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    did you read someone's post about putting diesel in the cylinders and letting it soak a few days before you try to start it ? I think it was mech688.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Not possible don't have a car to put it in. I'm just gonna scrap the block and strip the tranny from iron and aluminum

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We I don't have a garage. I live in a apt so ya. But I may sell the heads and manifold and the stuff that was not weathered.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Any idea the year of the engine? Casting numbers should give you some help with determining that. Honestly, unless it something unusual like a Mexican block, they are so plentiful that you probably are better off just scrapping it. Earlier heads are worth more than mid-70's and later. E7 heads were worth a little more, but not much. If you can wait, you might look for engine rebuilder that would want it for a core. But that said, the last two I just threw on the trailer and hauled them in for scrap. The trans should bring a little more than scrap, but it may not be worth your trouble.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Try selling on craigs list first. There are hot rodders out there that look for blocks to rebuild. You may beable to sell the tranny also, somebody may need one.
    CMHN Recycling

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd try to sell it as well. Unless you KNOW that there is something wrong with it that can't be fixed, it wouldn't hurt to try. Even a little more than scrap price would be better in my book.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    try to turn the crank by hand - it's the pulley on the bottom (if the engine is sitting upright) That'll tell you if the internals are moving or siezed up Turn clockwise and you may have to use two hands

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lol ya ya can start it up outside of the vehicle. It should a be a mechanical pump. Just run a hose into a jug for fuel. Then you got to look up on the net the wiring diagram for the distrubutor. Should be a onboard module on the cap. Wire it up and then crank the starter. Vroom. Done. Just make suree to have GOOD chains on ya cherry picker and have it slightly resting on the ground as it will be bucking worse than a rodeo bull. :>

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's a Chev 350. No matter HOW many are available, there is ALWAYS a market for them. Like everyone else has said...try selling. If you insist on scrapping it, try to sell the heads, valve covers, intake, oil pan, etc...heck even motor mounts if their there and decent (although after ten years outside I doubt it...) As for the C4, as long as theres fluid in it, and it seem decent, i'd sell it...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You can also flush the motor with trans fluid.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i scrapped a running big block motor i bought for $50. needed money bad and got $70 for it. my hot rod buddy who i was asking to check it out for me finally came out to check it after i had scrapped it. he saw the pixs and i had gotten the casting numbers down before dumping it,( i was just real curious about it) turned out to be an $800+ sought after pontiac engine. felt like crap after that!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 View Post
    i scrapped a running big block motor i bought for $50. needed money bad and got $70 for it. my hot rod buddy who i was asking to check it out for me finally came out to check it after i had scrapped it. he saw the pixs and i had gotten the casting numbers down before dumping it,( i was just real curious about it) turned out to be an $800+ sought after pontiac engine. felt like crap after that!
    True the old big blocks are worth much more then scrap these days. These classic gas hogs are becoming more rare by the day.

My baby has a bored out 350 in her and I will never trade it for anything! I can climb into the compartment and fix anything on it or in it without the need of the "Bear".
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    It's a Chev 350. No matter HOW many are available, there is ALWAYS a market for them.
    That was a 302, sounds like something out of a mustang with a matching c4 trans. That should date it in the 70-80's.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

Thread Information