oops found a white guy in the wood pile

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts

oops found a white guy in the wood pile

there is a very good reasion carpenters and Santa Claus check every thing twice.

I compact my cop wire in to 5 gal buckets till I get close to 50 lbs per bucket. yes I know that is maybe a little on the eccentric side but hey thats just me. Any way today I was just getting ready to cap a bucket when a cloud moved and deep within the compacted strands, what catches my eye but a single glint of silvery white. yup you guessed it there was alum wire mixed in with my compacted copper. guess what I did all day ?

just a reminder , dont get in too big of a hurry, some yards are really pickey and looking for a reasion to turn that $150 bucket into a $50 bucket of Alu/copper.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EcoSafe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    lol I am on the 5 gallon bucket idea too, I got burned once at a yard where they put all my copper in a cart on wheels, cart had 50lbs written on it, but I weighed my copper before I came and their cart is loaded, it is actually 60lbs, rotten buggers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I do that too. I have 1 bucket, an old tater bucket on wheels, that i put all my "freshly pulled" wire in. At the end of the day, i go through it all. All the alum wire goes in a bucket out back that i forget about. The copper wire gets checked and rechecked for any ends, then into a huge plastic trash bin on wheels. Once thats full, i sell it. I average around $250-385 for a full trash bin.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    At first I thought he was talking about white people/black people...I was like wow...I have to read this post..

Title is kind funny if you think about it alittle bit..but anyway...moving back to the topic.

Some yards are picky..some of my buyers try to be picky but I tell them where to put it. If they downgrade it....I walk out the door...so they tell me have it at a %ratio an we are all good. But then again I am taking in around around 3 tons on a avg week.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by olddude View Post
    there is a very good reasion carpenters and Santa Claus check every thing twice.

I compact my cop wire in to 5 gal buckets till I get close to 50 lbs per bucket. yes I know that is maybe a little on the eccentric side but hey thats just me. Any way today I was just getting ready to cap a bucket when a cloud moved and deep within the compacted strands, what catches my eye but a single glint of silvery white. yup you guessed it there was alum wire mixed in with my compacted copper. guess what I did all day ?

just a reminder , dont get in too big of a hurry, some yards are really pickey and looking for a reasion to turn that $150 bucket into a $50 bucket of Alu/copper.
    From the replies it looks like you are not alone. I also do the same thing, I put #1 copper wire in one bucket, #2 wire in another bucket and tubing in another. One thing about the "aluminum" wire, make sure it is not coated copper wire. I have stripped several pieces of wire that came out white, but cutting it a little you could clearly see the copper underneath. Plus with the weight it was clearly not all aluminum. My main yard takes this coated copper wire with no problem as #2 copper.

EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    good thing I didnt find a copper wire in my aluminium bucket, Id proly be banned by now 1.....2.....3.....4

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    make them weigh the cart.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaMetals View Post
    lol I am on the 5 gallon bucket idea too, I got burned once at a yard where they put all my copper in a cart on wheels, cart had 50lbs written on it, but I weighed my copper before I came and their cart is loaded, it is actually 60lbs, rotten buggers.
    If their cart is 60# and they think 50# aren't they OVER paying you by 10#? I wouldn't complain.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    I always thought that the silvery wire in my burnt off copper wire was just Nickel coated Copper. Its non magnetic.

Then a few days ago I noticed there was a lot of it, so I started picking it out & double checked it.

To find it was Stainless steel wire........

Oh nooooooooo... Picked it all out, filed some, maybe brass?
    Under a inside light its hard to figure out, some looked to have a goldish colour.

I figure that it came from a electric stove I scrapped, now I have to double check 2 different ways, that its copper, dam.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    At first I thought he was talking about white people/black people...I was like wow...I have to read this post..
    Lmao, I did too.. Had to read the post to find out for sure.
    Garbage keyboards > spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɐqǝ

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by olddude View Post

So true. If I see a hint of ALU in that mixed box I am paying a lot less. It takes me hours to have my guys sort the entire box looking for anything else. While it is true that mistakes happen, my smelter customers think I walk on water, or at least they expect me to.
    Jim Dwyer
    President/Founder High Voltage Processing
    www.highvoltagepro.com
    484-226-9323

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If their cart is 60# and they think 50# aren't they OVER paying you by 10#? I wouldn't complain.
    No I think he means the cart is 60 pounds not 50 and they shorted him 10 pounds of copper wire.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by High Voltage Processing View Post
    So true. If I see a hint of ALU in that mixed box I am paying a lot less. It takes me hours to have my guys sort the entire box looking for anything else. While it is true that mistakes happen, my smelter customers think I walk on water, or at least they expect me to.
    I have a question on wires. Do you want the plugs cut off? I am talking about wall plugs, cord ends, electrical connectors, etc.

Will tape and zip ties get me a lower price? I have been tearing down harnesses from cars. Getting the plugs off and as much tape as I can, but if tape/ties doesn't matter I won't bother so I can move the load quicker.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    I have a question on wires. Do you want the plugs cut off? I am talking about wall plugs, cord ends, electrical connectors, etc.

Will tape and zip ties get me a lower price? I have been tearing down harnesses from cars. Getting the plugs off and as much tape as I can, but if tape/ties doesn't matter I won't bother so I can move the load quicker.
    If you are selling to me then I would prefer the plugs off. I pay about a nickle more for that. As for tape, my machines will just eat right through it. Each place will have their own policy depending on what type of machine they have and how much they want to work for the wire. For example, cutting the ends off allows me to save some labor.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Save the cut ends though.

There's metal in thar!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Voltage Processing View Post
    No I think he means the cart is 60 pounds not 50 and they shorted him 10 pounds of copper wire.
    But if they're taring it by 50# and their cart is 60# thats 10 extra pounds.

Example: If I put 40# worth of scrap in the cart and they weigh it at 100# and then subtract 50#(cause thats what the cart say) then I'm getting paid for 50#.

Maybe he meant the cart is 40? I don't know. Not a big deal.

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. oops. Another rookie mistake.
      By mikedmissouri in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-21-2012, 11:21 PM
    2. my pile
      By heeroyue2002 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
    3. oops
      By EcoSafe in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6