diver43164990 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Question Place to post notices about dumpsters full of metal?

Sometimes I see dumpsters full of metal (especially now that I just moved above an air conditioning business in Queens) and I don't have my car with me--is there a place to post real-time notices about scrap sitting around waiting to be thrown out (in mixed bins)? I don't mind "giving away" the info because I can't take it myself, just kills me to see stuff going into landfill.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to diver43164990 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Send me a pm I work in Queens and have a pick up. If its close by I would swing by
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's reasons like this why everyone should work together as one network, wither its buying, selling, or giving a heads up. This site and it's members have become the forefront of the scrapping world taken from an average point of view(I mean, you'd never find anyone from big corporations on here). Some may call it silly but it's my new idea for the moment(they hit me like Einstein I swear).

-Matt

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logansryche View Post
    It's reasons like this why everyone should work together as one network, wither its buying, selling, or giving a heads up. This site and it's members have become the forefront of the scrapping world taken from an average point of view(I mean, you'd never find anyone from big corporations on here). Some may call it silly but it's my new idea for the moment(they hit me like Einstein I swear).

-Matt
    You may be surprised who is on here Lurking in the Shadows

7. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by logansryche View Post

-Matt
    I think you would be surprised who views this site. They may not be a member or logged in, but they are there. How else do you account for all those "guests" viewing? Some are lurkers that won't contribute but have no issue with taking info from others but I bet there are a few "big wigs" on here now and again.
    METAL IS MY MISTRESS...PLEASE DON'T TELL MY WIFE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdmiralAluminum for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    You may be surprised who is on here Lurking in the Shadows
    Sorry Mike, I hadn't scrolled down all the way yet.

Could even be the Dark Lord himself in those shadows. Or Brian Williams.

11. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by AdmiralAluminum:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Keep in mind that some rubbish companies price their containers based on the material expected to be in them. Many other rubbish companies don't price that way, but count on being able to sort the material.
    There is one company by me that has posted signs on all of their containers stating it is private property and anyone caught removing material will be prosecuted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mthomasdev for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I doubt it is going to a landfill now a days. I know every for a fact; every dumpsite in this area now separates profitable/ recyclable materials, the inly difference is they charge to haul it off then sell the metal. This is sort of what we do but in a smaller scale.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Russell for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts
    As someone that manages properties and dumpsters, I don't think it would be good policy to do this. Liability for the property owners is huge burden. Could even come back at anyone that is sending unsolicited or not wanted visitors to private property. I am no fan of the large waste companies, some of them being very corrupt. Most dumpsters actually belong to these waste companies, they do count on revenue to a small degree, from the recycling of this waste. That is not where they make their money, they make money mostly from their commercial customers and the exclusive contracts they get from municipal governments.

On our properties we recycle our own commercial waste, from many different types of businesses. We call the trash company to pickup only the dumpsters we have already processed. I do allow responsible dumpster diving, for us it's all about reducing the trash bill and responsible management. Our first priority is to provide a good place for customers to conduct their business. It is both good policy and good business for us to be responsible stewards of our properties, this includes recycling and diverting as much trash away from landfills/trash dumps.

Anyone that is not a business owner, employee of a tenant, a business customer, a approved contractor, vendor or has a reasonable need to be on our properties is other wise considered to be a "unsolicited visitor". I have basic rules for dumpster diving. 1. Want to get scrap or recyclables from our dumpsters follow our rules period. 2. Obey the posted speed limits 3. Only visit the designated dumpster areas 4. Do not solicit any business for scrap or anything else 5. Do not get into the dumpsters (period it's too dangerous) 6. No dumping of your own personal trash period. 7. Do not visit during the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday - Friday 8. No dumpster diving after 10 PM to 5 AM 9. Management or Security ask you to leave, DO NOT COME BACK! 9. If you want Favorable Guest Status, leave the dumpster area cleaner than you found them. 10. If you make a mess and don't clean it up, do not come back!
    Last edited by bigburtchino; 02-13-2015 at 11:56 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would think it makes sense to find ONE local scrapper and throw them these leads privately. Seems better than having 20-30+ people all stalking the same territory like those "first come first served" free craigslist ads folks are always fighting over...
    ~You have to start somewhere to get anywhere~

19. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by ScrappinRed:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    [QUOTE=AdmiralAluminum;235723...Could even be the Dark Lord himself in those shadows. Or Brian Williams.[/QUOTE]

Brian Williams has been here ever since he started the site, ...which was right after he invented the internet (before Gore did!), after he got out of the Viet Cong prison... Just saw it on an interview. Must be true...

Later,
    B.
    "I am created Shiva, the Destroyer; death, the shatterer of worlds. The dead night tiger made whole by the Master of Sinanju. Who is this dog meat that dares challenge me?" -Warren Murphy (my Dad!)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wbrian for This Post:

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. made a tool to grab metal out of bottom of big dumpsters
      By johnyor29 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM
    2. Full timers - How did you decide to go full time?
      By alekwb in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 12-27-2013, 09:00 AM
    3. Need Dumpsters Used or New
      By NWRecyclingSolutions in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Thread Information