When you think you know it all

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    1956 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 348 Posts

When you think you know it all

Well as most of you guys and gals know I have been in the scrap business for quite a few years, and the thing about this business is there are always ways to increase your profits, I wanted to share this with you and hopefully you can take advantage of it also, so I have built my business around the thought process of getting and keeping customers that produce scrap on a regular basis,I have a bunch. Of auto dealer ships that we service on a weekly basis, a few we deal with the parts manager and a lot more that let the auto tech's keep the parts that they replace and sell them them self,I am telling you guys this because it pretty easy to go into the dealerships and buy the scrap right from the techs after asking the service manager if he minds if you can walk thru the work area, it does not mater to me who we deal with as long as we get the scrap.So we buy all the cats, and what ever we can from these guys.So we had built up a nice amount of rack and piņons and they were starting to take up to much room because I didn't know what to do with them and didn't want to just put the in with the shred. So I do a little research and find a core buyer, a real core buyer that goes by the numbers on the cores. We also put on the a/c compressors and take a ride to see what the story is, sure enough they handle each piece by hand and put the numbers into there computer data base, well with out going into the dollar amount of the load we avg $75.00 for the rack and pinion and 23.00 each for the a/c comp so find your self a core buyer and turn those five dollar rack and pinion buys into some real good profits, not to mention the a/c compressors we pay three bucks for and get a avg of 23.00 each. Much better that the price of number 1 steel.

2. The Following 14 Users say Thank You for This Post by 1956:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Any one else selling your cores to a core buyer?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    I have yet to locate an upstream core-buyer. I know my core buyer.. has a buyer upstream.. But with small volume I do.. Thus far my buyer is as big as I can get right now. But this is an awesome post. I just got a foot in the door with a local dealership.. starting small. Hoping if I service their disposal needs in a timely manner as I have said I would. More things are to come. Just scored 9 steel drums from them.. and am in with the right person to buy cars that are abandoned. Looking to nurture the relationship by servicing them well and it leading to more goodies.
    I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

5. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sledge let me tell you that for some reason this group of guys that work the dealerships change jobs and locations on a regular basis and your reputation will move with them so give them the service you said you would, I am sure it will pay off for you like it has for me keep up the good work, 1956!

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by 1956:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956 View Post
    Sledge let me tell you that for some reason this group of guys that work the dealerships change jobs and locations on a regular basis and your reputation will move with them so give them the service you said you would, I am sure it will pay off for you like it has for me keep up the good work, 1956!
    That is very true, I was in the collision business and it was all just one big revolving door. Part of the reason is the good techs, advisors, managers, etc. are tough to find. When a shop, especially a new shop, finds a good one they make them an offer they can't refuse, so there goes that person. It's worse when that person moves to be the manager, since he knows whos good he will usually take all the good people from his old shop to his new one. THen the old shop has to fill in those spots, but since they're in a rush they'll get people that aren't very good, then deal with them until they find a better replacement, which comes from some other shop and then he'll bring along his buddy and so goes the vicious circle.

Collision shops are the worst for that and they also have an added variable that is unique to them and that is insurance adjusters. I worked both sides and as an adjuster you get to know people and the adjusters become like bees spreading pollen. Shop managers know some of the best sources are the adjusters since they work with so many people and are the best place to get recommendations. Adjusters also learn quickly who's good at their jobs and whos not. If the tech/shop sucks they usually hear about it from the customer, even though the adjuster has nothing to do with the shop.

I worked at a dealership that in less than a year replaced almost all of its employees. I was literally only there for 6 months before I became the second most veteran employee there. Basically another dealership opened up their own brand new shop and recruited the manager, who literally took almost everyone with him.

Anyway, I didnt' mean to go off topic, just wanted to add a little insight to the revolving door of the auto collision/service business

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by src3collector:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    src3collector: Very valid and USEFUL information. Much Thanks for the post!!

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956 View Post
    Thank you sir. When I met the contact I told him I could fit 7 of the 9 drums into the truck.. told him I would be back next day.. and I was. I then ran into him at Lowe's while out getting materials for my Contracting business. He said he would let me know ASAP when the 2 cars on the bubble are ready to be sold off. In my initial conversation I told him "I don't mess around- if you tell me there is a vehicle to be pulled, I will be there.. cash in hand and remove it from the lot" He knew I was not messing around. And hopefully the drum removal showed a glimpse of what would be to come.

Thread Information