corycouch started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts

comes around goes around, take care of the people who can help you

just yesterday i had a clogged fuel filter on one of my diesels on the way to get a car and the guy was on a timeline, i called one of my wrecker guys as soon as i figured out the problem, not to tow me but to go get my car, i asked him if he had the money and he said yes, about the time i got the truck running he called me and said he had it picked up and it was at his yard and it could stay there as long as i needed and i could just pay him for the car when i picked it up and NO CHARGE, im beginning to lose count of the favors we have swapped out. several weeks ago another wrecker service that also runs a body shop needed a 90s model dodge front cap and asked what i would need for it, well i said $20 apanel so for 2 fenders a hood and a bumber $80 cheap enough and way too cheap to sell to an individual and more than i could scrap it for, he said could i just trade some old scrap for it and i said sure, brought me a whole trailer load of body panels plus the panels he took off of his wrecked truck, and a stack of radiators and a small bucket of copper welding tips, he said if i owe you anything let me know and i really appreciate it and of cour he didnt owe me any extra i got way more than i could have ever expected. been dealing with a competitor a little lately and its knida like the keep your enemies closer type deal but he has given a couple of his calls because he didnt have time. the yard manager even tossed a couple things(pretty good stuff) in the back of my truck today and said just bring me some more cars

ive posted similar to these before and if i miss anything you guys do let me know but two things you should do

1 sodas and snacks for the yard guys, they will remember you and probably the single most important thing you can do
    2 treat people better than you want to be treated, none of the above would have happened if i didnt treat them right

thats about it really other than reinvest your money in tools because if you dont have tools you cant work

2. The Following 14 Users say Thank You for This Post by corycouch:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Those are the kinds of friends that are important to have and it is very important to take care of those people. I've had a few situations like that myself where I had a breakdown or some other vehicle problem where I could call the guy and say, "Here's the situation. Can you take care of this for me?" And without any other worries, they knew exactly what to do.

I had one situation where I was on my way to an important engagement and my truck slid off the road into a ditch and got badly damaged. So I called a friend and he told me that he would bring his trailer out and tow it home for me. I called another friend and he got me a rental car and picked me up. I took him back to the car rental place (so he could retrieve his car) and I was on my way. By the time I got home, friend #1 had my car sitting in the driveway. He pulled out my crushed fender and grille and he also he hammered down the huge bend in the hood so that my truck could be driven until I got it fixed.

But one thing that I need to change about my life is that these guys are the only two friends that I can depend on that way.. which really makes them my only "real" friends. Most of the other people around me know to call me when THEY get into trouble but when Ted needs something, it's usually, "Gee Ted.. I don't know what you're gonna do...I wish I knew what to tell ya." And to add injury to this- some of these people don't even invite me to their parties or other social activities.. yet they are quick to call when they have a problem.

I don't base my friendships on what people can do for me but if I am the only guy in my circle that carries a set of jumper cables and a flashlight, I need to re-evaluate who I put around me.

4. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by tedanderson:

corycouch started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    none of us expect it, its just what we do and dont think no charge means no charge, next time we eat you can bet ill snatch the ticket

6. The Following User Says Thank You to corycouch for This Post:

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Some people
      By joebob49 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM
    2. One of Them People
      By Kris Kringle in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
    3. It's People!
      By parrothead in forum Off Topic Discussions