So much scrap...and I can't have it!! AHHHH!!

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Gnraxlrose88 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

So much scrap...and I can't have it!! AHHHH!!

Well, with it getting to the point of the year where it gets cold out, my baby on the way, and a broken truck, I've been out of the scrap game. Sad part is, my garage is half full of goodies, the back of my truck is full of escrap goodies, and I picked up a free camper I plan to convert to a trailer. Sadly, I also had to pick up another job...my crappy part time job is yielding me no hours, and with a baby coming I need a guarantee of income that can't be relied on scrapping.

So, the place I've worked for for a year (full service gas station, auto shop, towing company) recently sold the towing portion of the buissness. The new buyers were looking for part time night and weekend guys to work on comission, so I jumped on the wagon and have spent the last 2-3 weeks training after school and around my work hours.

It seems like every day, EVERY DAY I work I get put on a call that leads me past scrap. Tvs, monitors, bikes, even a washer the other day. And not like one or two here or there, pretty large amounts...and I CAN'T HAVE IT!!!

Well I could, but it would look very unprofessional strapping a washer down on the back of a flatbed towtruck with a well-known company name and phone number splattered all over it.

Frustrating.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would suggest you write the addresses down and come back on your own time out if you are on the way back from a call and the boss dissent mind you could stop and offer to come back

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Good luck GNR, and congrats on the baby. I hope you get your truck fixed and everything comes together for ya there

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    I used to make deliveries for a courier service and used to pick up scrap in my s-10 along the way. Was pretty funny making deliveries with a truck load of scrap, sometimes I would have to stop by my shop to unload the scrap. Don't give up, work on the scrap when ever you get a few minutes. Hope everthing works out for you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Drive a Reg truck like I do. I don't hesitate to stop. $+$=$$

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    When I drove wreckers, I did better buying cores and core batteries from the various shops I'd drop at. Better profit than a washer or TV and smaller items to boot! After a while I'd work the glad handing on getting the ferrous scrap and would stop by the same shops on my days off to load the ferrous scrap.

I thought it was a pretty good system, you get paid to make these contacts and done properly you're not wasting company time.

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Ahhhh, what a disappointment
      By 01GTB in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 12-10-2012, 12:19 AM

Thread Information