Nice weather= cleaning out garages

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Wolfwerx started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Nice weather= cleaning out garages

The weather this past weekend was exceptionally nice, so I guess many people took advantage of the time to clean out their garage and porches and stuff. I fully expect to have double, maybe triple, my regular weight on my weekly run to the yard... might be 2 or 3 trips to the yard Saturday morning! The real icing on this cake is that I've been so busy with a remodeling job I'm doing, that I've barely gone out curb shopping. Probably spent only half the time I normally do.

In the past six months, I've probably taken in 2 grills. The past 4 days, I've snagged 4. Plus a handful of propane tanks, one of which was full (that's a twenty dollar bill, right there). Boatloads of yard furniture, most aluminum, but some cast iron and steel, too. There was one curb-load that was loaded with boxes of nails and screws, a fire extinguisher, a bunch of brass odds-and-ends, a bunch of holiday lights (they were a tangled mess, I'm assuming the homeowner is buying some new ones this year), there was so much that I couldn't take it all.

Last night I didn't hit my route until almost 11:30 (normally I like to get started by 7:30/8) expecting to find nothing but vacuum sweepers with the cords cut... well within 30 minutes I found a dryer, a box with 3 old laptops and a bunch of cords, a tv, a microwave, a sweeper (with the cord cut off ), and a box of what I thought were metal trophies. And a bunch of miscellaneous metal bits and pieces, mop handles, plant cages, etc. The trophies were heavy, so that's what made me think metal, but when I got them home in the light, I saw they were ceramic... so out to my curb they went. Also in that box were 2 really nice duffel bags, though. So, I filled up my van to the roof, which was weird because my Tuesday night route is really competitive... I can't believe so much stuff had been sitting so long it had frost on it.

Sorry for going on and on... just super excited with how this week is going. Of course we all know that some weeks are gold and some weeks are crap. I'm just glad I'm having a gold week!

2. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Wolfwerx:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    How is propane valuable to you? For use?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by landmine View Post
    How is propane valuable to you? For use?
    Yeah, I'll throw it on the grill. It was a regular 20 pound tank. Average price around here for a tank-swap is just a bit under $18, plus tax.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ya all the one's i ever see are the out dated version, so i leave them alone

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just a few years ago, I was always running across the 'old' style tank (sometimes full) as people were upgrading to the new style of tank. With the old style, you could open the valve and get an idea how much propane was left. For over two years, I never had to buy any propane for the grille or any propane heaters.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    As a last resort the tanks have brass valves in them.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Two more grills since the original post. Holy crow, 6 grills in the past week. Also, tons of lawn furniture, bikes, and (seems strange to me) shelving units.

I've only just been curb shopping since August/September... is this kind of thing normal for the fall season? Maybe people cleaning out their garages so they can park their cars inside during the winter?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Out with the summer stuff, in with the winter stuff. It's a good hint at what people are buying for Christmas!
    Usually during the first weekend after a few cold weekends, a bunch of stuff appears Sunday afternoon (or before football games start). NFL games keep my competition inside. Curb shop during the first games, then enjoy the rest. ( unless your team's playing )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 896 Posts
    Make sure to take out the grease traps b4 loading them if its a gas grill, what a mess that can be. Anyways, This is the time of year around here ware alot of street runners are not out because of the cold. nice score

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbarnz View Post
    NFL games keep my competition inside. )
    I will second that

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. went t5o the yard yesterday, didn't know weather to laugh or cry
      By EcoSafe in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
    2. Whelp, got my garages moved around and set up for winter today
      By newattitude in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-30-2012, 10:20 PM
    3. Storing copper in cold weather climates?
      By johnuppy in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
    4. Cooler Weather
      By KzScrapper in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Thread Information