LCD jackpot

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap

Hybrid View

Rollyrogers33 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

LCD jackpot

I just got an awesome spot where a guy can give me 10 to 15 LCD or Plasma TVs a week. The minimum size of these TV's are 32" and as big as 60". I have read many old post in regards to scrapping these TV's. I can't find anything on how to discharge the TV and wanted to know where I could find an old forum on this, because I know it has to exist. I am not very electrical inclined and wouldn't know how to repair the TV. The guy who is giving me these TV's is a wholesaler and also repairs them if he has time. Almost all the post I have read say that salvaging parts is better than scrapping it. So, if anyone can push me in the right direction to an old forum or website on how to discharge and part identification of TV's. I would extremely appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    There are people that buy non working tv's like this for more than scrap....Throw em on CL and if they don't sell quick start taking em apart......Have fun some decent goodies there

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Well, Rob I don't know if the LCD's have large cap's that need to be discharged, but if they do, just take a long shafted screwdriver and touch the two solder points of the cap. Or you can discharge it over to another metal item on the board. I have suggested using a piece of wire (maybe 2' long) with a small alligator clamp on each end. Clamp one end to the screwdriver and the other to a metal chassis part, then brush the screwdriver over the suspect components. I don't think based on what I've seen that you have any "shock hazard" with the flat screens. This site has the parts for most flat screens and the repair/troubleshooting info. Hope this helps,
    Forum here; Badcaps Forums
    Parts here; Badcaps.net - Premade Kits
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Before scrapping them call a few television repair shops to see if they would be interested in buying them. You should get between $35 to $75 each depending on the size and if its a minor repair like a cracked screen. Some might even just want them for the spare parts even you dont know whats wrong with them.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    If theres a dark horizontal line thru the screen on a LCD TV, it could just be a broken flouro tube behind the screen, a second LCD TV will provide you with some more of the tubes.

I found there was not much in a LCD TV, 3 small boards, some easy to get to but not a lot of actual, gold. Small amount of copperwire.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Major Flop

Well, I picked up the LCD's yesterday. They gave me four 40" and one 55" LCD. When they carried the TV's out to my car I was dying inside as soon as I saw what they were giving me. All the plastic, circuit boards, and wire had been stripped off the TV's. The only thing left was the bulbs and steel frame. One of the workers kept on saying, I don't know how he is going to make any money off of these as they were bring them out. Then they told me to come back as soon as possible to get more. I am going to go back in hopes that I can get through his stripped TV's and maybe he will give me a TV with something on it. Otherwise, I do not know what to do now. Any suggestions?????

Thanks,

Rob

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    I'd be slow to take stripped tv's in the first place, did they also cut the cords?

sell the bulbs, run the steel frame across the scales ; )

at least they took the plastic
    Last edited by Bear; 07-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I'd be slow to take stripped tv's in the first place, did they also cut the cords?

sell the bulbs, run the steel frame across the scales ; )

at least they took the plastic

No cords, the place where you plug in the cord has been removed. When I went to talk to the guy about getting these TV's he had fully built TV's and plastic stripped TV's sitting around. There had to been 20 to 30 TV's sitting there with the circuit boards still attached. I am just hoping that he is just getting rid of his bare bone TV's first. But who knows. The place is not even a five minute drive from home, so its not that I am going out of my way for these.

Where can I sell the bulbs? Craigslist, TV Repairs, and etc.
    Last edited by Rollyrogers33; 07-04-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: answer second response

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lol if you getting them from a repair shop there is a reason why your getting the bones. either wiegh those sucks add up to some steel weight.
    Born to think, destine to succeed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunemaul for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunemaul View Post
    Lol if you getting them from a repair shop there is a reason why your getting the bones. either wiegh those sucks add up to some steel weight.
    I figured that Dunemaul was right that the TV's would add up to some real heavy steel weight. After a week I went back to the LCD guy to get more bones (stripped TV's) and he was completely surprised that I came back for more. He ended up giving me more TV's and not all were bones. 5 stripped LCD's and 2 complete LCD's (smashed in screens), 2 stripped LED's and 2 semi-complete LED's, 3 stripped Plasma's and 1 completed Plasma. I was completely out of room in my garage so I took them in this morning and sold them for shred at the yard.
    At first they weren't going to take them but I spoke to a higher up guy and he approved it. 15 flat screens totaling 421 lbs at 82.50/GT equals $15.51. Though I did get high grade boards and speakers off the completed TV's. I have been calling people on Craigslist that offer services for TV's if they would like to purchase boards. Also, there is a plastic recycling company in the next town over that I am trying to get to buy the covers to the TV's.
    I figure that I don't have a new scrap coming in right now and that I should make the best of what I can. I also stopped at a couple of storage locker facilities and got quotes for a locker.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    In a few more years after more tube tv's are replaced with flat screens and more start to burn out maybe yards will start buying screens separated for a certain price for the Indium.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ScrapYaHerd for This Post:

Thread Information