Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breaking stuff down, is it worth it?

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    mrsamsonite started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Breaking stuff down, is it worth it?

Hello,

I recently bought a scale on amazon to help me find out if it is worth it to break stuff down. I recommend everyone to have a scale because it helps you to know how much you will be making and if it is worth it to break stuff down. Here is the link where I bought my scale 600lb limit scale for $80:

Amazon.com: 600 LB Pounds Platform Bench Shipping Weight Computing Counting Scales: Office Products

This scale helped me to find out if it is worth it or not to break stuff down. When you break stuff down you have to make sure that you are subtracting what you would get if you didnt break down from what you will get for breaking down. Then you will be able to know how much more profit you will be making (or loosing) by breaking down. For example:
    A T.V
    without breakdown: @.05/lb. (e-waste) 65lbs = $3.25
    with breakdown: (copper, alu, brown board, wire)= $7.25
    What you made from breaking down (7.25-3.25)= $4.00 ( took 15-20min)

I found that smaller tv's are worth it but, a lot of the bigger T.V's have aluminum wire instead of copper wire and you can actually loose money if you break it down. Here is what I found:
    no break down: @.05 (e-waste) 110lbs= $5.50
    with break down: (copper yoke, alu wire, e-waste,etc)= $3.30
    What you make from breaking down $3.30-$5.50= -$2.20

So with this bigger tv. I actually lost $2.20 because I broke it down opposed to just recycling as e-waste.

A general rule is if there is lots of weight from discard (trash) after breaking stuff down you might want to think about recycling the item as is (without break down) because you will get the extra weight. Keep in mind that you can actually loose money when breaking down opposed to recycling as is. So, I recommend buying a scale.

Another very important thing for scappers if you are just starting out is that you have to:
    1. Know ALL of the different classifications of all of the metals (contaminated, painted, thickness, everthing)
    2. Know what the prices are to every classification.

If you dont know these two things you will have a hard time determining whether it is worth it to break something down or not. You will not know what is "up for grab" when you are breaking down. This goes for picking up too, if you dont know what something is worth then you wont know if it is worth it to pick it up.

I apologize if there is already a post on this matter but, I felt it was important to share this, especially the usefulness of a scale and knowing the classifications and prices. This stuff is probably more for beginners in the forum. I am also a beginner (about 6 month full time) and always learning new stuff all the time. So I hope that this helps some of you out there

thanks

2. The Following 9 Users say Thank You for This Post by mrsamsonite:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    the fact you can sell whole tvs just means you win.
    Born to think, destine to succeed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts
    Yeah, I want that deal...
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    So you guys cant sell whole tvs? Here in California we can sell tvs @ $.05/lb. but, it can get a little complicated. TVs are highly regulated and each house hold (address) can only drop off four tvs. If you drop off more than 4 the state will call you and confirm that the tvs came from your address. So, what a lot of scrappers do is they collect the address where they picked up the tv and give it to the scrap yard and they log that address in. Only some scrap yards (the more ghetto ones) allow you to do this but, other yard require an ID and they use the address on that ID.

As far as disposing of TV's that are already broken down: the dump take two per day with/out any fee.

How do things work in your state?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsamsonite for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    In Maine, the dump charges $5 each for a TV or computer monitor. I tear them apart for electronic components and haul the glass to Goodwill under their recycling agreement with Dell/Reconnect.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    At goodwill do they take your name down or is there a limit on how many you can turn in?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I believe california funds the tv recycling program so that is why we can recycle them and also dump two off per day at the dump.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    I would be happy to get .02lbs for tv's in my area. 5.00 charge per tv at the dump and if it is a big tv the charge gos up to 10.00. same charges for the tubes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsamsonite View Post
    At goodwill do they take your name down or is there a limit on how many you can turn in?
    No and no.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    In My area of Mass. Everyone ( Towns and Private yards that will take them ) charges a Min. of $ 25.00 for a TV , with larger TV's a Lot More and don't even ask about the big old wood console units $$$$ . I have been reading up everything I can find here on TV's as there are 6 on the curb within a 1/2 mi. of the house , but the high disposal cost it is a turn off .
    Bandit

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    haha, funny how this turned into a TV commercial ; ) The last big old "wood" (not real wood, wish it had been, was the only reason I chose to go so far to get it, it was only a particle board imitation of wood) TV I got turned into a nice workbench out behind the barn. Once it's deteriorated enough to be totally useless, it'll get tossed in a brushpile somewhere to be burned with the brush

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    WOW , Your able to burn brush !
    Doesn't most of the Fall-A-Partical Board Furniture start to Deteriorate as soon as it is put outside , ( or leaves the showroom floor ) ?
    When we find it in a storage locker it just gets broken down and trashed , don't even bother trying to give it away .

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    This was a 91 model, looks like the rain washes them away a little slower, it was extremely thick too, over an inch in places, and heavy, very heavy. Even just the tube from that thing is more than I care to lift, keep putting off hauling it to Goodwill. It got away from me and I dropped it two or three times getting it out the door, down some steps, across a gravel driveway, and up into the trailer. Must have made the woman who gave it to me feel real good ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    In Maine, the dump charges $5 each for a TV or computer monitor. I tear them apart for electronic components and haul the glass to Goodwill under their recycling agreement with Dell/Reconnect.
    Thanks a lot mick for the advice. I went to Goodwill today and turned in some scrapped monitors with now problems. This is a great resource for me thanks a lot!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Goodwill by me still won't take them

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Im going today to drop off most of the rest of my inventory. this is awesome.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Goodwill here in Mass. appears to only take working TV's and Computer's & Monitors along with a few other charities and they all say they Only want newer one's and will test them before taking them in.
    The scrap yards and town's around here start at a $ 25 fee and go up ( Way Up ). Found one place that will take them from the public for a fee of $ 2.50 a pound .
    There are a few National Recycling companies in the area , but it looks like they only want to deal with large commercial accounts for Secure Disposal for $$$$
    Anyone ever deal with any of these companies ? They have Local Warehouses here in Mass.
    Electronic Recyclers International
    E-waste and Electronic Recycling Centers | Recycle Corporate, Consumer and Government Electronics
    Computer Recycling USA
    Computer Recycling USA
    Advanced Electronics Recycling Inc.
    Electronics Recycling
    Thanks
    Bandit

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have been Googling all afternoon , found a link on here to the Dell recycling web sites and the closest one to me , living west of Boston is in Southern New Hampshire , Goodwill of Northern New England , and they even give you directions on how to " Safely "box and label broken monitors .
    It looks like this will solve the Computer Monitor Disposal Problem , Now I just have to find one for TV CRT tubes .
    Computer Equipment Recycling with Reconnect
    Goodwill Industries of NNE
    Bandit
    Ps
    Hi Mick
    Does Northern NE Goodwill take CRT Tubes too ?
    Pps
    The Magic I got from You at Cole Farms , worked Like a Dream , LOL

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bandit for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For the tv's I just take all of the copper and everything out of the crt TV/monitor then put the back cover back on the so that it looks like a normal tv. I think goodwill will take the tubes also but, if you put the back cover back on they are easier to handle and stack.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hi, Bandit. I was wondering... That was a few years ago.

I've pretty much quit making Magic except for my own use. (For others, Magic Salt is used to treat snow and ice.)

Be sure to check with the Goodwill store nearest you. The one by me isn't listed but they take CRTs. Had a couple tv tubes that they took, too. Not sure if they were actually supposed to, though. BUT, the game changes if you tell them you're a business.

25. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Breaking down cell phones...Is it worth it? (PICS)
      By MOscrapper in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-24-2012, 06:15 PM
    2. Is this lot of computer stuff worth it
      By digbmx4130 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
    3. E- stuff
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-08-2011, 06:57 AM
    4. Stuff just happens