Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer ??

| Tools and Equipment
    thortek started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Scrap biz in OHIO, but I live in south Florida!
    Thanks

Trailer ??

Ok, I don't want to get caught up in the Dumpster game...I need a trailer that I can toss some high sides on to toss steel in.....

At the rate we are breaking down, we take in 3 Gaylords every two weeks for scrap. I'm trying to figure out how big a trailer I'm going to need to match that volume....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Q
    “Most people miss opportunity because it wears overalls and looks like work .” ― Thomas A. Edison

www.thortekrecycling.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    It will depend on how much weight you're hauling. You would also want to consider possible future expansion.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts
    Well the Gaylord's I use fit on a 40x48 pallet, and are about 40" tall, so 76,800 cubic inches divided by 1,728 c.i. Per cubic foot = 44.44 cubic feet divided by 27 = 1.64 cubic yards assuming of course for efficient use of space. Multiply that by three Gaylord's and you have just under 5 cubic yards for a trailer payload. A 10' x 6' x 4' trailer I own hauls just under 10 cubic yards, so you can see you don't need a very big trailer to match that capacity.

If i were you I would buy the largest trailer I could afford with manufactured sides to maximize payloads just to have capability for expansion. I like steel holding in my steel.
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BurlyGuys:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I have given some though about trailers and looked longingly at the "dump" trailers. It would assist the unloading process and they seem to be capable of hauling heavy loads, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dump trailers are the best bang for the buck.
    Heres Mine:

7. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by ResourcefulRecycling:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The kind of trailer you get is also determined by the truck you drive. Take Resoureful's dump trailer for example. If you have a 1/2 ton truck that trailer prob aint gonna be very good for you because those dump trailers are so heavy.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    Personally would go for 18 foot tandem Axle car trailer, dumps Are nice but after owning a car trailer for a year you'll wonder how you got by without it
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Flat deck trailers r the way to go. U can always add sides if needed and easy for forklift to get gaylord boxes off. I have tri axle trailer (9 ton) with 6t winch, made good money with it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to copperhound for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    i think a convertable trailer be cool, pick the sides up and pull the car trailer out from under it, set it back on and bolt it down. You'd likely need the sides frame to have a rail across the rear though, and that could lead to height restrictions

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Consider what you're pulling with. As Miked mentioned. I bought a 16ft car hauler with a friend. My 4 cyl truck can't pull it loaded, my friend can tow with his eight cyl. Sometimes you find a deal you cannot pass up. Enclosed or siderails are taken into consideration depending on what your hauling. I will make temp 4 ft side on my hauler for cleanout jobs and remove a panel to get in and out if cars when we haul those. I think is the most versatile trailer I could come up with for 600$ and a clean title. Additionaly 1 axle or two will depend what you're hauling?

thortek started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Scrap biz in OHIO, but I live in south Florida!
    Thanks
    i already have a 16 foot car hauler, We're hauling Gaylords with it. I took the ramps off to get the forklift closer. I like the idea of a dump trailer. I wonder what kind of pricing I can get. Typically my yard doesn't magnet anything for me. So we unload by hand. A dump trailer would make quick work.

I have a 1991 Chevy 1500 with a 350....I pulled my galaxy over to the house with it, and I've put some heavy cars on that car hauler. I am trying to figure out a dumpster/trailer solution. So i'm either going to get an old pop up trailer base, and put stake sides on it, for easy "dumping" or try to find a dump trailer cheap.

Thanks guys! All great ideas!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thortek for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Big tex makes a dumper try their website.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    So i'm either going to get an old pop up trailer base, and put stake sides on it, for easy "dumping" or try to find a dump trailer cheap.
    There is no such thing. I would think a car trailer with a flat deck would be ideal for gaylords, then have a welding ship add steel straps to the sides that 2x4's slide down into. Then make the sides out of 2x4 and plywood that you can drop in and fasten together. Easy on and easy off.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    watch the towing capacity of the truck they will always get the load moving but its getting them stopped is the problem

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wescrapmetal for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wescrapmetal is right you can have all the towing power in the world but if the brakes are not strong enough then what's the point I have a 03 gmc 2500hd and I don't even need trailer brakes no matter how much weight I pull.
    “If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”

Abraham Lincoln
    http://junkcarbuyersraleighnc.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptscrapper View Post
    Wescrapmetal is right you can have all the towing power in the world but if the brakes are not strong enough then what's the point I have a 03 gmc 2500hd and I don't even need trailer brakes no matter how much weight I pull.
    Most states have a law on the books that when the trailer is over xxx amount of pounds then it has to have operating trailer brakes and chains. Some of our camper haulers tried to get smart and started putting lead links into their safety chains, that way if they lost control of the trailer the chains would break and not drag the truck into the ditch. The state DOT got wind of it and if they jumped on the chain and it broke it was an automatic $500. fine plus anything else they could find. And that was 500 back in the late 80's probably comparable to $1000 now.
    I'll be honest I used to set my trailer controller a little on the heavy side so that as I was easing the brakes down you could feel the trailer brakes start grabbing first before the truck. That did two things, #1 it kept the trailer in a straight line under hard stops so it was not pushing the truck and #2 my truck brakes lasted around 200,00 miles before needing replaced. Try that with your truck with the trailer pushing you, if it don't push you thru a stop sign on a wet street.

22. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    God is great, scrap is good, and people are crazy

Its better to be scrapping and thinking of God than sitting in church thinking of scrapping

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Most states have a law on the books that when the trailer is over xxx amount of pounds then it has to have operating trailer brakes and chains. Some of our camper haulers tried to get smart and started putting lead links into their safety chains, that way if they lost control of the trailer the chains would break and not drag the truck into the ditch. The state DOT got wind of it and if they jumped on the chain and it broke it was an automatic $500. fine plus anything else they could find. And that was 500 back in the late 80's probably comparable to $1000 now.
    I'll be honest I used to set my trailer controller a little on the heavy side so that as I was easing the brakes down you could feel the trailer brakes start grabbing first before the truck. That did two things, #1 it kept the trailer in a straight line under hard stops so it was not pushing the truck and #2 my truck brakes lasted around 200,00 miles before needing replaced. Try that with your truck with the trailer pushing you, if it don't push you thru a stop sign on a wet street.
    I agree trailer brakes are a must

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wescrapmetal for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wescrapmetal View Post
    I agree trailer brakes are a must
    The other nice thing about having trailer brakes is if you ever start losing control of your trailer (Like a jackknife) just reach down and grab a handful of the manual handle of the trailer controller and when the trailer brakes start grabbing it'll snap the trailer back straight.

27. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptscrapper View Post
    Try a panic stop with 5,000 pounds on a 2,000 pound trailer. Even if you manage to not lock up the brakes, that trailer will come around on you.

29. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Trailer Brand names. Looking for a Tandem Axle trailer for Scrapping.
      By Kochy in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 08-25-2014, 11:40 PM
    2. last week trailer stollen this week new trailer for free
      By mrvictor1 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
    3. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
    4. Trailer
      By wescrapmetal in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 5