My latest ''jobs''

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    newattitude started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts

My latest ''jobs''

Two weeks ago, hubby called me from work early Monday morning and told me he just found out his brother was moving to Florida. This is the BIL that lived with my FIL that passed away. BIL has been in heating and cooling for years and years and years. Anywho, he treated FIL's property like a dump, with infrequent scrap turn ins.

He told hubby they were leaving in a few days and I could have all the metal at the top of the property, there was probably a couple hundred pounds he said. Ok, cool!

I get there at 10 am and look things over. Uh, I'm gonna need a bigger truck! There was so much stuff tossed in the woods and overgrown I couldn't believe it. Good thing I took battery powered tools, it was too far from the house to hook up to electric.

I had no choice- I started pulling stuff out, tossing metal into my truck, aluminum off to the side and motors/other non ferrous into piles for later. That first day I turned in 3400 lbs of steel in 3 trips. I called the yard ahead of time, told them what I was doing and they agreed to hold my ticket weights. I'd pull in, off load and pull back out without nary a backwards glance lol. I had to trust them.

Pulled in at 4:15 with load number 3, off loaded and collected my money bent over like a broken tree in so much pain it wasn't funny,

Went back for another load to take in the first thing the next day, went home and collapsed. Didn't even take my dirty clothes off. Covered in blood and itching from numerous bramble scratches and ant bites.

Took that 4th load first thing Tuesday morning. Went back for another load and turn in. (1500 lbs those 2 trips). Went back for another load and was finally ticked enough I called hubby after he got home from work and told him to get his ass down here and help me with the last load of the day since this was his idea in the first place. He gets there, we load up another load and the next thing I hear is ''Omg, my arms are covered in blood.'' I'm shocked he isn't feeling pain from the daggers shooting out of my eyes at him. ''I don't even want to hear it'' is all I say. Next, I hear ''It's getting dark.'' Omg, there is still room in my truck and I am NOT leaving here without a full load!!! Finally got the last of the metal in my truck to turn in Weds. I think that load was 700 lbs of steel and the start of some of the motors from AC's and furnaces.

Turned that load in and went back for ll the aluminum, motors,wire,copper, MUCH misc.

Even with the wood sides on my truck, I still had to cut furnaces apart to line the sides so I could get as much loaded as I could so nothing would fall between the cracks.

I also cut a piece of wood to go across the back end of my truck and behind the window so I could load up to the top all the way back and haul more per trip. Huge,huge difference in haul weight that way!!

My poor truck, it never complained once and I beat the heck out of it. Took me a couple days to figure out why the bees kept hanging around though. When I cleaned out the back of my truck of all the tall weeds, branches and leaves that was stuck to the scrap I found apples from driving under the apple trees lol.

Went back this past Monday to get what they left behind before the renters moved in and got more furnaces, a push mower, a rototiller, a grill, bikes and just much more misc items. I had 5 straps holding everything in that load in place I didn't want to trust the sides and back piece on that one lol.

Phew!!

Oh yeah,and, couple hundred pounds my ass!!!!!
    Scrapper, Scrap Yard Worker, Horse farm worker, Cooler Puller and just plain ''tired''

2. The Following 15 Users say Thank You for This Post by newattitude:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Hallelullyah! Cool beans New! : D I'll bet you'd take 200 pound loads all week long! ; ) Congrats! That's plum groovy : )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Phew!!

Oh yeah,and, couple hundred pounds my ass
    But did you laugh all the way to the bank??
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lol,yes I did. Told hubby not to tell BIL exactly what was really there lol, I wasn't giving it back!

7. The Following 10 Users say Thank You for This Post by newattitude:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Congrats NA and I have all the respect in the world for your Work Ethic.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts
    Woohoo, that's gettin' it Sister!! If anyone wants to know how it's done, this is it. Gotta love it when you realize you need bigger side bodies. Isn't it amazing when you do the final pass to pick up any odds and ends that you can get another whole load. Congratulations, you're doing great.

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Pnutfarmer:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Nice loads. Thanks for sharing!
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Add my congrats and great work ethic, we need more people like you. Amazing how many people don't see the potential in free money for scrapping (with invested effort of course ) Great Job!

14. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Ironhunter:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks everyone, I'm still in shock over the amount of weight I moved in one day. I would sit and stare at the tickets and keep re-adding them to make sure it was really true!! Lol.

16. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by newattitude:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wow thats awesome!! Even if your brother in law found out the exact weight, with all the work, pain and suffering you went trough with that job, you deserve every penny!
    If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

GC Metal Recycling & Recovery
    Barrie, Ontario.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nice job, i know the feeling.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    Nice job. BIL doesn't need to know and you should keep ALL of the money. If BIL finds out how much metal there actually was, he's going to want a cut. If your hubby says anything throw him a twenty.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jimicrk for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    He told hubby they were leaving in a few days and I could have all the metal at the top of the property, there was probably a couple hundred pounds he said. Ok, cool!

Full article at Scrap Metal Forum: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/day-l...est-jobs.html#

No way you give anyone anything. If the BIL wasn't leaving that stuff would still be there. Your blood,sweat and tears= your cash!!!
    Nice job NA keep up the good work.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

23. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Score, motherload, or otherwise awesome thread. - Two big jobs
      By NHscrapman in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
    2. Two e-waste jobs this week!
      By erg in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM
    3. Steve Jobs just died.
      By parrothead in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
    4. At home assembley jobs that aren't scams?
      By sdw in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 07-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Thread Information