| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Copper Head started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 516 Posts

Oil for the wqrk truck

Synthetic oil these days can be found for $22 to $24 per 5 qt
    not all that much more then conventional oil
    For me the winter time , Synthetic is hands down best with flow at zero degrees
    regardless what are some of you members using .

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    If you have a Big R store around close, they carry a Citgo brand synthetic blend 5w30 or 10w30 for 2.99 a qt.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 521 Posts
    I just use plain old standard oil. Change it every 5K kilometers....3K miles, as well as the filter. I figure changing the oil regularly and putting in a new filter keeps any dirt moving out of my engine. The longer oil change intervals on the synthetic stuff makes me a little nervous. I don't really trust vehicle filters nowadays--they seem to be getting smaller and smaller, even on my GM 454 the filter is a dinky little thing, so I'd rather periodically dump the old oil. And regularly changing filters with synthetic oil means you are eventually changing the oil out anyway--you take out some each time you change the filter.

I've never had a lot of problems with really thick oil in the cold weather, although I must admit we don't see much colder than about -5F in my neck of the woods. When I start a cold engine I take care NOT to floor the accelerator pedal and to watch the oil gauge. If it doesn't come up right away I'll stop the engine and restart it until the oil starts to pick up and register on the gauge.

I'm sure there are as many opinions on this subject as there are members on the forum!

Jon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sawmilleng for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I don't really trust vehicle filters nowadays--they seem to be getting smaller and smaller, even on my GM 454 the filter is a dinky little thing, so I'd rather periodically dump the old oil.
    I had an 82 - 6.2 diesel Chevy and it and the 454 were a lot alike in that you could use the bigger diesel filter on the gas motor. When I hauled campers (RV's) for a living I would go to TSC farm store and in the filter/oil section I would get a diesel filter for a tractor, use their book of #'s for the changeover. The filter was 7-8" long and would take almost 2 qt of oil which would add a little more oil reserve to the motor.

6. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    If you have a Big R store around close, they carry a Citgo brand synthetic blend 5w30 or 10w30 for 2.99 a qt.
    I wonder how much synthetic is actually blended in there for 2.99 lol we sell a fully synthetic oil called Dexos (all the new GM vehicles must use this or the warranty is void) and its 5.99 or 6.99 to the customer. Cant remember. But you gotta figure the quality cant be that great for 5-6.99 a bottle.

Our bulk oil at the shop is also synthetic blend, cheap like that too.
    If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

GC Metal Recycling & Recovery
    Barrie, Ontario.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 941 Posts
    conventional oil but i splurge and usually get the gold oil filter reduced space around the filter not letting oil bypass it as easily
    There ain't nothing wrong with an honest days work. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.- Old Man

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I had an 82 - 6.2 diesel Chevy and it and the 454 were a lot alike in that you could use the bigger diesel filter on the gas motor. When I hauled campers (RV's) for a living I would go to TSC farm store and in the filter/oil section I would get a diesel filter for a tractor, use their book of #'s for the changeover. The filter was 7-8" long and would take almost 2 qt of oil which would add a little more oil reserve to the motor.
    I sure like to find a extra big filter for my 318 as there is plenty of room for length ,fact is it would make it better to grab on and off.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Head View Post
    I sure like to find a extra big filter for my 318 as there is plenty of room for length ,fact is it would make it better to grab on and off.
    Should check if the filter from the 5.9 gas or diesel would fit. The filter for my 5.9 diesel is massive.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    With the filter I'll look into it , if I find a # that works I'll pass it on .

I like Syn's for the winter , and in warmer weather I may use syn or conventional but in winter can't beat the feel of a cold motor start with a Syn
    I never paid much mind as to rules once you use Syn only use it .
    --------------
    I once had a old beat up dodge van 318 . I used mobile one , all I ever did was change the filter each 6 months and top off with mobile one I had the truck 3 years , then gave it to my brother in law who kept up with the same method,
    he had the truck another 6 years
    when he got rid of the truck it was not cause of the motor
    Back in the day AMsoil use to tout never change your oil just your filter so I tried it with the mobile
    -------------
    If you really like your truck of course you will just change it every 5k just cause it makes you feel better.
    I have had autos that I liked so much i meticulous changed oil often. Then I had a run of beaters that all I did was put in the SYN
    change filter and top off . In the extreme of pushing to the limits a SYN is better.
    If spending less and changing more are what conventional oil delvers for you .Thats a hard act to follow also.
    Still wall-mart sells Valvoline or Quaker state SYN for $22 even I see changing that ever 4k to 5 k not wasting money.
    No way will I change a $7 per QT SYN at 4K or 5K but at $4.50 per QT compared to $3.60 with wall-mart price's
    thats changing things with me. even mobile one is around $24 and change at wall-mart .

Wile franchise auto stores have comparable sale price to normal WMart price , when sales are off they sell conventional oil for more then a Syn at wall-mart.
    Last edited by Copper Head; 11-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Oil tanks
      By Jonniebrass in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-21-2018, 11:59 PM
    2. Anyone here use Synthetic Oil in their truck?
      By JunkmanDan in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM
    3. oil tank
      By corycouch in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
    4. USed Oil
      By gustavus in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
    5. Running veg oil in a diesel truck