Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

All In one computers??

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
  1. #1
    nutpie started this thread.
    nutpie's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2014
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked 403 Times in 226 Posts

    All In one computers??

    I am seeing a lot more all-in-one computers lately. If I was to scrap some for ewaste, could they be scrapped whole? I don't see any category for all-in-one's on any buyers threads. Would they/could they fall under laptop prices, tower prices? Unfortunately, the screen makes up most of the weight. Anyone have experience dealing with these beasts? TIA



  2. #2
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,672
    Thanks
    1,224
    Thanked 4,817 Times in 2,223 Posts
    In my experience you have to take them apart....good thing is most of them have bigger hard drive and if cpu is newer can be resold....not much board there though usually small socket about 3/4 size of regular deaktop board

  3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:


  4. #3
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 665 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nutpie View Post
    I am seeing a lot more all-in-one computers lately. If I was to scrap some for ewaste, could they be scrapped whole? I don't see any category for all-in-one's on any buyers threads. Would they/could they fall under laptop prices, tower prices? Unfortunately, the screen makes up most of the weight. Anyone have experience dealing with these beasts? TIA

    Check ebay for the model first and see if and for how much its selling for, I actually have done pretty well on a few AIO computers. If they are not worth eBaying or I dont feel like ebaying them at the time, I take them apart, strip everything out of them, then put the case back on and drop it off at staples. They will take up to 6 monitors (or AIOs) a day.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to kss for This Post:


  6. #4
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 557 Posts
    I've done more than a few all in ones over the last few years. It's kind of a mixed bag with them. I had one that i refurbished that easily sold for over 300.00$. There was another one that i recently gave away to a poor fulla that couldn't afford much cause he works for minimum wage. There was another one with a touchscreen that i swapped for three one year old Chromebooks and a 20.00$ bill.

    There doesn't seem to be a huge demand for the all in ones here in Maine so you have to wheel n deal where you can. It's easier to sell good laptops & tablets. That's what most people seem to want these days.

    You don't get much from scrapping them out. The motherboard will usually pass for a laptop board. It's usually DDR 3 laptop ram so there's a little value there. Doesn't seem to be much with the processors. A good many are directly soldered onto the motherboard. Most of the rest seem to be mobile processors. There's not as much "more than scrap" value there. The hard drives are usually 500gb to 1 tb so there's a little value there. You can drop off the rest of the AIW at the electronics recycling building at the transfer station without any problem.

    All around ... the main things i would look for are the i Macs that are 2012 or newer and anything with a core i7 processor. Those would be an easier sell on CL down in Southern Maine.

    It's kind of off topic .... but do you know of any good places to sell copper here in Maine ? The yards in this part of the state are beating up the scrappers this year. Best prices in this part of the state are in the Augusta area and they're only paying 1.95 /lb for # 2 copper and 2.15 / lb. for bare bright. They're paying 2.70/lb for #2 and 3.25/lb for bare bright down in Massachusetts.

  7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by hills:


  8. #5
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks
    2,772
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 644 Posts
    For all in one computers as scrap as is you can expect somewhere between 50-80% of the price of normal desktops, depending on the buyer. The glass, the smaller motherboard, the laptop sized RAM and more are things that devalue them in comparison, even the ones with whole or partial aluminum frames like iMacs. That said, if you sell a good quantity of towers as is, having the occasional all in one machine with them is likely not a problem. Wouldn't be for me nor for a few others I've dealt with. YMMV

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to JJinLV for This Post:


  10. #6
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,634
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked 2,287 Times in 929 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, are you talking about the old I-Mac's?


  11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by t00nces2:


  12. #7
    nutpie started this thread.
    nutpie's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2014
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked 403 Times in 226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    It's kind of off topic .... but do you know of any good places to sell copper here in Maine ? The yards in this part of the state are beating up the scrappers this year. Best prices in this part of the state are in the Augusta area and they're only paying 1.95 /lb for # 2 copper and 2.15 / lb. for bare bright. They're paying 2.70/lb for #2 and 3.25/lb for bare bright down in Massachusetts.
    Not sure on copper prices right now in Southern Maine. Try calling SCHN Portland/Auburn or E Perry's in Portland.

  13. #8
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 557 Posts
    Thanks NP. I'll try giving them a call sometime this week.

    You're always welcome to PM me or one of the other members if you run across an "All In One" that might have more than scrap value. You know ... try throwing it up "As Is" on Craigslist down in the Southern Maine area ? Might turn out to be a quick fifty or hundred made without too much time invested. (It's easier money than straight scrapping sometimes.)

  14. #9
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks
    2,772
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you talking about the old I-Mac's?

    Unfortunately no. That would be sweet

  15. #10
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    4,822
    Thanks
    15,252
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJinLV View Post
    Unfortunately no. That would be sweet
    NOT sweet to disassemble. Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

    Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:


  17. #11
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    4,822
    Thanks
    15,252
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJinLV View Post
    Unfortunately no. That would be sweet
    NOT sweet to disassemble. Mike

  18. #12
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks
    2,772
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    NOT sweet to disassemble. Mike
    Even without the CRT those are a chore to disassemble!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to JJinLV for This Post:


  20. #13
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,531
    Thanks
    2,909
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJinLV View Post
    Even without the CRT those are a chore to disassemble!
    I scrapped about 20+ of them. Some had bad capacitors. But they had great video editing software built into them, so I kept a couple.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:


  22. #14
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 557 Posts
    I picked up a couple of Mac G5's this week .... really wish i hadn't !

    Also ran across an all in one iMac clone. That was a first. It was funny because the manufacturer didn't even put a name or model number on it. I guess they were too embarrassed.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:


  24. #15
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 665 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    I picked up a couple of Mac G5's this week .... really wish i hadn't !

    Also ran across an all in one iMac clone. That was a first. It was funny because the manufacturer didn't even put a name or model number on it. I guess they were too embarrassed.

    Why do you regret picking up mac G5s?! They sell online for a good bit and have a slightly collectable market. Some people online even buy them just to rip the guts out and make a gaming pc out of cause the case it cool (assuming you are talking about the aluminum ones).

  25. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by kss:


  26. #16
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kss View Post
    Why do you regret picking up mac G5s?! They sell online for a good bit and have a slightly collectable market. Some people online even buy them just to rip the guts out and make a gaming pc out of cause the case it cool (assuming you are talking about the aluminum ones).
    There's not much of a re-sell market in this area K. When people do buy something ... they buy new ... and they tend to go to the micro devices like an iPhone or iPad mini. I've listed a number of items on CL over the years and never even has a bite.

    That pretty much narrows it down straight to scrap or the MTSV parts sold to a buyer here on the forum. It's pretty remote in this part of the country so shipping is a considerable cost as well. It really bites into the bottom line.

    The main thing with the G5's is that they are a difficult tear down for someone that doesn't do them very often. It seems that Apple intentionally makes it's products more difficult to work on. They do this as a means of protecting the aftermarket repair service that they offer. It's a contrary way of doing things but they've always been like that from the get go.

    Anyhow that's just my take on it. They're kinda persnickety that way. A sawzall, torch, and a grinder works just fine for making short work of all their foolishness.

    Lol ... i guess i don't have much use for a Mac.

  27. #17
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 665 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    There's not much of a re-sell market in this area K. When people do buy something ... they buy new ... and they tend to go to the micro devices like an iPhone or iPad mini. I've listed a number of items on CL over the years and never even has a bite.

    That pretty much narrows it down straight to scrap or the MTSV parts sold to a buyer here on the forum. It's pretty remote in this part of the country so shipping is a considerable cost as well. It really bites into the bottom line.

    The main thing with the G5's is that they are a difficult tear down for someone that doesn't do them very often. It seems that Apple intentionally makes it's products more difficult to work on. They do this as a means of protecting the aftermarket repair service that they offer. It's a contrary way of doing things but they've always been like that from the get go.

    Anyhow that's just my take on it. They're kinda persnickety that way. A sawzall, torch, and a grinder works just fine for making short work of all their foolishness.

    Lol ... i guess i don't have much use for a Mac.

    I used to only do local sales because I didnt want to deal with ebay or shipping.... now I have 100% flipped. Now I HATE doing local sales, and love doing online/ebay.

    Online sales you have a much broader market, and often get things sold for more and quicker/quickly.... Plus with online its all on MY schedule... no scheduling, no meet ups, not going somewhere to meet and them not being interested or just ghosting you and not showing up. Yes there can be some shipping issues and there are for sure other flaws. But I dont like dealing with people and dont like getting jerked around or being on anyone else's schedule. And selling online lets me list them all on 1 day, and ship them all exactly 7 days later on my own schedule. Which is much better than people being like... "oh yea I can meet up some time between 5 and 9pm..." then me moving my schedule around to accommodate and then them changing their mind last min.

    I know some have been scammed or swindled, but ill take the 1 in 100 times something goes wrong on ebay over the hassle of local sales, so, that being said, I'd have them bad boys up on the eBay lol
    Last edited by kss; 03-21-2021 at 05:22 PM.

  28. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by kss:


  29. #18
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 557 Posts
    I totally hear you. Ebay really expands your potential market base from local to national and beyond. Chances are ... if you've got something to sell ... somebody in the world is looking to buy it.

    An internet presence saved one of our local businesses during the pandemic. It specializes in Made in Maine food products. It sells both on line, and locally through an outlet that is very popular with the tourists. The pandemic lockdown last year forced them to close their retail outlet for the summer. It all worked okay though. On line sales skyrocketed.

    For me: It's about time management. I work 5-6 days on my regular job so that doesn't leave much time & energy for much else. Much as anything ... the scrapping is just for fun and relaxation in my free time. It will just be a few more years of the 9-5 grind and then i can retire. Kinda looking forward to that. My time will be my own.

  30. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by hills:


  31. #19
    Kalvlin's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Dec 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    563
    Thanked 309 Times in 169 Posts
    I just sold one of those Imacs that was a Tangerine model with matching color keyboard and mouse > It booted to OS 8.6
    Sold for 160 $ So it if runs I would not scrap it- I would try and sell it ! cha ching
    I also do very well on any of the classic Macs - there is a market out there of people that love those things.
    Remember... wherever you go... there you are

  32. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Kalvlin:


  33. #20
    wildliferacer's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvlin View Post
    I just sold one of those Imacs that was a Tangerine model with matching color keyboard and mouse > It booted to OS 8.6
    Sold for 160 $ So it if runs I would not scrap it- I would try and sell it ! cha ching
    I also do very well on any of the classic Macs - there is a market out there of people that love those things.
    Genius! That is why I love e-waste.

  34. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by wildliferacer:



  35. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. All in One Computers
      By HipoGear in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM
    2. Just Here For The Computers
      By ponicsllc in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-03-2016, 01:33 PM
    3. Computers?
      By ParttimeChuck in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 07-24-2014, 03:39 AM
    4. Another day, another 49 computers.
      By armygreywolf in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-06-2014, 11:44 PM
    5. My computers
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook