Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

All In one computers?? - Page 2

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
  1. #21
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    905
    Thanks
    653
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 558 Posts
    There is one thing i've noticed. Both Mac and Microsoft keep updating their 10x series operating systems. The new revisions are coming out every six months or so ? Anyway ... every new revision renders a previous class of computers obsolete.

    Take a Mac for instance. It's built to last 20 years but they make it obsolete after ten or twelve years. It's so they can sell more new computers that way. I'm running into that some with PC's now too ... though not as obvious. You end up having to chase, & manually install, obscure drivers to keep all of the hardware on the machine operating.


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:



  3. #22
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 666 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    There is one thing i've noticed. Both Mac and Microsoft keep updating their 10x series operating systems. The new revisions are coming out every six months or so ? Anyway ... every new revision renders a previous class of computers obsolete.

    Take a Mac for instance. It's built to last 20 years but they make it obsolete after ten or twelve years. It's so they can sell more new computers that way. I'm running into that some with PC's now too ... though not as obvious. You end up having to chase, & manually install, obscure drivers to keep all of the hardware on the machine operating.

    I know plenty of 10-12 year old computers are still functional and still have value (as I have sold a ton of them on eBay), but 10-12 years of use out of a computers would be a win in my book. At my company they let you pick between a mac or pc laptop for your work computer. Macs they give you a new one every 5 years, Windows laptops they give you a new one every 3 years.


    The sweet spot seems around 5-6 years of use in my experience for macs, at that point the hinges are pretty loose, the battery can start going, etc.

  4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by kss:


  5. #23
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    905
    Thanks
    653
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kss View Post
    I know plenty of 10-12 year old computers are still functional and still have value (as I have sold a ton of them on eBay), but 10-12 years of use out of a computers would be a win in my book. At my company they let you pick between a mac or pc laptop for your work computer. Macs they give you a new one every 5 years, Windows laptops they give you a new one every 3 years.


    The sweet spot seems around 5-6 years of use in my experience for macs, at that point the hinges are pretty loose, the battery can start going, etc.
    It's all hit or miss for me. The towers & the desktops seem to hold up pretty well. I finally took an 18 yo e-Machines out of service last year. It was still functional to the purpose of drive wiping in my shop but it was getting a bit old. I'm still using a Vista era desktop for streaming shows & movies from the internet. Works just fine.

    The all in one's seem pretty durable. For the pc's i look for win 7 & a core i5 or core i7 processor. For Mac's i look for 2012 or newer ...otherwise they get scrapped out.

    You hit it spot on with the laptops. Five for the Macs and three for the pc's is about what you would expect with average use. If i do refurb a laptop it usually gets a new battery, new power supply, SSD and a memory upgrade before it leaves the shop. Maybe one in every ten coming into the shop gets a new lease on life ? A quality build that was gently used will last a good while longer for somebody out there.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:


  7. #24
    Sirscrapalot's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A sandbar off the atlantic..OBX,NC
    Posts
    6,122
    Thanks
    11,870
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 3,852 Posts






    Whichever meets my needs is what I prefer.

    I also don't deal with online sales.

    The reasons are simple... I've done the online selling thing before I did the ewaste thing. I did it for a bit with ewaste. Decent money, pretty easy work but..there's always idiots. More idiots then I have to deal with locally if I choose to, which...I mostly don't. Buyers far away from me and my sandbar get my stuff, once I've opened it up, ripped it's guts out, admired my handy work, and moved on to the next carcass.

    Now mind you...I do have the ability to recognize things I shouldn't turn inside out and in those times, I have a select few folks locally and other undisclosed locations who I will annoy to see if they have interest or a buyer who isn't an idiot.

    My point? Yes...you can reach more people, and make more money. You also increase your chance of dealing with idiots. Not your average idiot, but online idiots. At lest in person you can punch a idiot in the nose or reduce them to tears with the power of a sarcastic barb as you storm off showing them they are number 1.

    I'm quite happy living on my sandbar doing this kind of work full time, and enjoying the hell out of the fact...I don't have to deal with a lot of idiots. Online or in person.

    I applaud those who can do the resale/online thing these days. To each their own. Make that money!
    Just because I don't like to do something doesn't mean others must dislike it to.

    That said...

    Good to see yall

    Sirscrapalot - They said masks and gloves were enough to go to the grocery store. They lied, everybody else had clothes on. - The Internet

  8. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:


  9. #25
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,674
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,225 Posts
    Howdy stranger

  10. #26
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    905
    Thanks
    653
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 558 Posts
    Hey there Sir S.

    Gawd ... i always loved the Mac & PC guys but they got it all bass ackwards in the original Mac commercials. PC is the kool kid that's easy to get along with. Mac is the temperamental little control freak that doesn't play well with others.

    A lot like Steve Jobs ... the founder of Apple.

  11. #27
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 666 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post






    Whichever meets my needs is what I prefer.

    I also don't deal with online sales.

    The reasons are simple... I've done the online selling thing before I did the ewaste thing. I did it for a bit with ewaste. Decent money, pretty easy work but..there's always idiots. More idiots then I have to deal with locally if I choose to, which...I mostly don't. Buyers far away from me and my sandbar get my stuff, once I've opened it up, ripped it's guts out, admired my handy work, and moved on to the next carcass.

    Now mind you...I do have the ability to recognize things I shouldn't turn inside out and in those times, I have a select few folks locally and other undisclosed locations who I will annoy to see if they have interest or a buyer who isn't an idiot.

    My point? Yes...you can reach more people, and make more money. You also increase your chance of dealing with idiots. Not your average idiot, but online idiots. At lest in person you can punch a idiot in the nose or reduce them to tears with the power of a sarcastic barb as you storm off showing them they are number 1.

    I'm quite happy living on my sandbar doing this kind of work full time, and enjoying the hell out of the fact...I don't have to deal with a lot of idiots. Online or in person.

    I applaud those who can do the resale/online thing these days. To each their own. Make that money!
    Just because I don't like to do something doesn't mean others must dislike it to.

    That said...

    Good to see yall

    Sirscrapalot - They said masks and gloves were enough to go to the grocery store. They lied, everybody else had clothes on. - The Internet
    My work gives me MacBook pro laptop, and boy it is nice. I really like it a lot. Would I ever spend my OWN money on one? Not a chance, way to expensive, but they are well built and pretty nice.

    For my personal life it's all PCs from the garbage running some flavor of Linux, usually Ubuntu.

    As far as selling things online, yes there it tons of idiots out there, and it is easy to get burned and it happens pretty frequently, just a cost of doing business is how I figure it.... I much prefer not having to deal with people locally and having the freedom to sell/list and ship when I want all on my terms and not ever have to meet a person or coordinate a time and meeting place, and haggling, etc. I'll never do an in person sale again if I can avoid it.


  12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. All in One Computers
      By HipoGear in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM
    2. Just Here For The Computers
      By ponicsllc in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-03-2016, 01:33 PM
    3. Computers?
      By ParttimeChuck in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 07-24-2014, 03:39 AM
    4. Another day, another 49 computers.
      By armygreywolf in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-06-2014, 11:44 PM
    5. My computers
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook