Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Freon safety warning!!!!!

| Scrap Metal Safety and Hazards
  1. #1
    Destructo_d started this thread.
    Destructo_d's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 87 Times in 44 Posts

    Freon safety warning!!!!!

    This is not to discuss the right and wrong way to drain/recover freon... this is more a warning for everyones safety



    I was talking to the owner of the scrap yard today and he warned me to be very carefull if I ever handle anythingfreon... wear a full face shield, and not just goggles... long sleaves and gloves... he told me about a customer who was blinded because of it... he said it sprayed into his eye and instantly FROZE!!!!! his eye and was blinded...

    so no matter if you are draining freon right or wrong, whatever you do, please protect yourself against a preventable accident

  2. The Following 11 Users say Thank You for This Post by Destructo_d:



  3. #2
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Boyle's Law

  4. #3
    DAVECCT's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Oct 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 110 Times in 30 Posts
    also never put a flame to it to cut the lines or dismantle the compressor because when you burn freon in an open flame it creates phosgene gas which was used as a chemical weapon in world war 1 it will stop your heart from beating real quick.

  5. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by DAVECCT:


  6. #4
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Mar 2014
    Location
    barrie ontario candada
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    respirator is probably a good idea too no? i always wear one when i break those lines. fridge, ac etc i dont like the idea of breathing that **** either. anything your are unsure of better safe then sorry. a gas shock on a computer chair shot a chunk of plastic at my face when i didnt think before i put the sawsall to it, **** near broke my nose i was bleeding pretty good. another time i was dissembling a lawnmower engine with a hilti sfh-18A (best tool ever btw) again not thinking i wasnt holding the engine i pulled the trigger on the drill to undo a bolt (it puts out 65 ft/lbs) swung the mower around 3-4 times and smashed me in the ankle not related but my point is before you do anything that could be hazordous THINK IT THROUGH

  7. #5
    Mechanic688's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    11,247
    Thanked 10,695 Times in 4,721 Posts
    respirator is probably a good idea too no? i always wear one when i break those lines. fridge, ac etc i dont like the idea of breathing that **** either.
    I hope your not venting that crap into the air, reclaim it properly please.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:


  9. #6
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Mar 2014
    Location
    barrie ontario candada
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    I hope your not venting that crap into the air, reclaim it properly please.
    dude managed to blast himself in the eyeball with it. obviously accidents happen i would always rather be safe then bleeding/blinded/ otherwise in danger. i wear my respirator to avoid breathing ANY. 90% of the hvac i deal with has already leaked out over time functional units i sell but the odd time i have to deal with a system that is still charged with green goo and gas
    Last edited by steve129; 03-20-2014 at 09:07 AM.

  10. #7
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    2,698
    Thanks
    2,233
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve129 View Post
    dude managed to blast himself in the eyeball with it. obviously accidents happen i would always rather be safe then bleeding/blinded/ otherwise in danger. i wear my respirator to avoid breathing ANY. 90% of the hvac i deal with has already leaked out over time functional units i sell but the odd time i have to deal with a system that is still charged with green goo and gas
    Don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US it's illegal to release refrigerant. I believe that's partly what Mech was driving at.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoScrapper for This Post:


  12. #8
    VoodooDaddy's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts

    Freon safety warning!!!!!

    Yeah, I agree. If you are willing to spend the money on respirators and face masks, better use of said money would be to get the proper gear and license to reclaim. QUIT BREAKING FREON LINES!!!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to VoodooDaddy for This Post:


  14. #9
    doyousmellit's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 120 Times in 47 Posts

    Freon safety warning!!!!!

    whats freon

  15. #10
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    boise, ID
    Posts
    1,612
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 667 Posts
    Doy, it is DuPont's brand name of their refrigerants.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to freonjoe for This Post:


  17. #11
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Mar 2014
    Location
    barrie ontario candada
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    i dont deal with enough of it or have $350-600 for an hvac fluid recovery system.... i already had respirators, gloves, goggles etc and those things cost far less. how many ac rads and fridges would i have to reclaim before i broke even on that.... our climate eats ac lines and condensers anyway and by the time i get a car its usually allready been vented into the atmosphere over time. i snap the lines and not much comes out. $300 cars do not come with functional ac. when a scrap yard here buys a car and they crane it into a pile if the ac system is charged what happens? is it drained properly? no its thrown in a giant pile of smashed cars whatever systems get punctured leak there fluids im sure this happens with thousands of cars a year so please dont point your finger at me. make your judgements, hate me, whatever your guna do. it is what it is and i am not the only one, just one of many unemployed trying to scrape by
    Last edited by steve129; 03-20-2014 at 09:36 PM.

  18. #12
    TheKid's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lebanon, PA
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 53 Times in 25 Posts

    Freon safety warning!!!!!

    i want to become epa section 608 certified so i can do it safe but i think i'll have to be older.

  19. #13
    BDAScrapper's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 111 Times in 48 Posts
    When I first started scrapping I was at a local buis that sells/replaces a.c units, first time out I made my way to a unit for an office. I used a pair of bolt cutters and bit into the back, looking to rip out the copper next to the condenser etc. A massive blast (this thing was bigger than a fridge) of I'm guessing Freon, engulfed me in a deafening shriek of discharge, scared the $hit outta me, no gloves, no googles, no clue. Needless to say, I raced home, and googled if I was going to die or not, turns out it's not that positions, unless exposed to it for a long time. Eyes didn't freeze shut either. I did have a ringing headache for the rest of the night.
    Whoever was watching the CCTV the next day must've had a right laugh.....
    Rule learned? Check what your cutting into, it could be your last cut........

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BDAScrapper for This Post:


  21. #14
    BDAScrapper's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 111 Times in 48 Posts
    Poisonous*
    Needless to say, I still come across, undrained units, I leave them alone.

  22. #15
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks
    792
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve129 View Post
    i dont deal with enough of it or have $350-600 for an hvac fluid recovery system.... i already had respirators, gloves, goggles etc and those things cost far less. how many ac rads and fridges would i have to reclaim before i broke even on that.... our climate eats ac lines and condensers anyway and by the time i get a car its usually allready been vented into the atmosphere over time. i snap the lines and not much comes out. $300 cars do not come with functional ac. when a scrap yard here buys a car and they crane it into a pile if the ac system is charged what happens? is it drained properly? no its thrown in a giant pile of smashed cars whatever systems get punctured leak there fluids im sure this happens with thousands of cars a year so please dont point your finger at me. make your judgements, hate me, whatever your guna do. it is what it is and i am not the only one, just one of many unemployed trying to scrape by
    The AC units I have run across have had their recharge line cut with a side cutter which makes a opening small enough to allow the refrigerant to discharge slowly over a couple of days. It reduces the danger of a high pressure discharge to nearly zero. While I do not condone the release of refrigerant into the air, the fact remains that every molecule of refrigerant produced will eventually escape into the atmosphere.... and they keep making more, so it can't be that much of a problem in real life. The benefits MUST outweigh the costs.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to t00nces2 for This Post:


  24. #16
    BDAScrapper's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 111 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    The AC units I have run across have had their recharge line cut with a side cutter which makes a opening small enough to allow the refrigerant to discharge slowly over a couple of days. It reduces the danger of a high pressure discharge to nearly zero. While I do not condone the release of refrigerant into the air, the fact remains that every molecule of refrigerant produced will eventually escape into the atmosphere.... and they keep making more, so it can't be that much of a problem in real life. The benefits MUST outweigh the costs.
    No offense, but they same thing about 99% of all chemical discharge..... From crude oil, to nuclear, "the pros out weigh the cons" ....no they don't, and never will.....we only have one Earth, we need to look after her..

  25. #17
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks
    792
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAScrapper View Post
    No offense, but they same thing about 99% of all chemical discharge..... From crude oil, to nuclear, "the pros out weigh the cons" ....no they don't, and never will.....we only have one Earth, we need to look after her..
    Are you so committed to the point of view that you do not use air conditioning or a refrigerator?

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to t00nces2 for This Post:


  27. #18
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,359
    Thanks
    2,389
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Inside the compressors theres a bunch of valves and such.
    They can trap the oil with Freon inside it for more than a day.
    When the comprssor is shifted, the oil can move around, the valves can open enough for some oil to move about..
    And suddenly you can get a spurt of oil/gas out of a open tube.

    Even if you think theres no oil in there, tip it over and suddenly you have a oil leak.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:


  29. #19
    logansryche's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Galeville, NY
    Posts
    1,209
    Thanks
    1,041
    Thanked 560 Times in 365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    The AC units I have run across have had their recharge line cut with a side cutter which makes a opening small enough to allow the refrigerant to discharge slowly over a couple of days. It reduces the danger of a high pressure discharge to nearly zero. While I do not condone the release of refrigerant into the air, the fact remains that every molecule of refrigerant produced will eventually escape into the atmosphere.... and they keep making more, so it can't be that much of a problem in real life. The benefits MUST outweigh the costs.
    The cons always outweigh the pros when it comes to refrigerants.

  30. #20
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks
    792
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logansryche View Post
    The cons always outweigh the pros when it comes to refrigerants.
    So, are you so committed to the point of view that you do not use air conditioning or a refrigerator?


  31. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. A Few Tons of TVs With a lot of issues. (Warning - Kinda Long)
      By snodly in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
    2. Warning about Compressor Scrap
      By MDJSalvage in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
    3. Safety Reminder
      By c4f5 in forum Misc. Metal Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-30-2011, 05:58 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook