Results 1 to 8 of 8

Bronze Nickel Floor Drains

| Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
  1. #1
    greytruck started this thread.
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 836 Posts

    Bronze Nickel Floor Drains

    Since a question was brought up about off colored brass in a reascent thread, I have a small mystery of my own here. Ive been sitting on a small pile of these off colored floor drains and clean out plates i get from the plumbers from time to time. when i scratch them, they are the same as the outside color. Its not a definite yellow or a copper looking color as red brass, witch i thought they would be. i almost was going to throw them in my zinc bucket. What do you guys think? Yellow, Red, Hard brass? Some sort of alloy? i have no idea.

    heres a picture of the drain covers i have JAY R. SMITH MFG. CO Floor Drain Grate':' Nickel Bronze, Nickel Bronze, Screw - 11U227'|'A05NBG - Grainger

    Last edited by greytruck; 06-22-2022 at 12:53 PM.


  2. #2
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    721
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 618 Posts
    I had a marine toilet come in the other day. Looked up the manufacturer & model number. The manufacturer's description listed it as being made of bronze which is pretty close to red brass.

    If your drain cover is listed as Jay R. Smith ... it's probably Nickel Bronze like it says in Material Construction with the link you provided. Good stuff. Made to last a very long time.

    Zinc is cheap ... it usually shows signs of pitting & corrosion after it's been in service for awhile.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:


  4. #3
    greytruck started this thread.
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    I had a marine toilet come in the other day. Looked up the manufacturer & model number. The manufacturer's description listed it as being made of bronze which is pretty close to red brass.

    If your drain cover is listed as Jay R. Smith ... it's probably Nickel Bronze like it says in Material Construction with the link you provided. Good stuff. Made to last a very long time.

    Zinc is cheap ... it usually shows signs of pitting & corrosion after it's been in service for awhile.
    Im not sure what category it would go as, so i guess i should just bring them in separate from my yellow and red brass one day. I see Bronze scrap on the internet but usually its just pictures of red brass, but never seen actual bronze scrap price before on price lists. ive seen hard brass on a web site for the one yard i use but they took that category off their web page.

  5. #4
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    721
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 618 Posts
    Quite honestly ... up until a few days ago ... i hadn't even seen red brass before. I had some old stuff come in from a cleanout and some of the bolts were made of red brass. A few days later ... that marine toilet came in and it was made of bronze.

    I checked around a little and some yards have a composition -or- composition red brass category. It seems to pay about ten cents a pound more than yellow brass. It's not a huge difference unless you have a large amount.

    It might be simpler to sell it all as "brass" without bothering to sort ?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:


  7. #5
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    3,192
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 778 Posts
    In a just world nickel bronze would be priced to yellow brass at least what stainless steel is regular steel, with a scrap value a bit over $4. But it's hard to arrange a sale for it with less than maybe 500lbs (even that's probably too little) unless your yard has a specific, steady supply of it due to nearby manufacturing or machining. Hopefully they'll at least give you red brass price for it.

  8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by JJinLV:


  9. #6
    CopperMiner's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Greater Montreal
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 131 Times in 74 Posts
    A bronze sculpture example from a nearby bronze museum and interpretation centre:
    https://museedubronze.com/wp-content...ique-photo.png
    Last edited by CopperMiner; 06-22-2022 at 10:20 PM.
    NEW TO SCRAPPING? READ THIS: Build up your horde of magnetic and non-magnetic metals in two piles until you have a better understanding of the business. Read old threads about non-magnetic metals and ewaste (and how to sort them), but don't forget that they generally have absolutely no tolerance for contamination (screw / iron / foreign material). Magnetic material has low value and is mostly always steel / shred / short iron.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to CopperMiner for This Post:


  11. #7
    greytruck started this thread.
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    Quite honestly ... up until a few days ago ... i hadn't even seen red brass before. I had some old stuff come in from a cleanout and some of the bolts were made of red brass. A few days later ... that marine toilet came in and it was made of bronze.

    I checked around a little and some yards have a composition -or- composition red brass category. It seems to pay about ten cents a pound more than yellow brass. It's not a huge difference unless you have a large amount.

    It might be simpler to sell it all as "brass" without bothering to sort ?
    When I first learned about red brass i asked the scale guy to show me what it was. then when i brought some in, another scale guy said it wasnt red brass but gave me red price for it casue the other guy was wrong and said he got fired cause he was giving higher prices for stuff like clean alum instead of dirty al. Then i just threw it all in a bucket and didnt bother. then a new yard opened last sept and they go threw the brass and pull out the red brass and actually showed me the real difference. Best examples of red brass he showed me were older shower assembly's and valves with the center removed. that yard mgr is the best scrap mgr ive ever worked with. Even the employees he has are like an all-star team lol.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to greytruck for This Post:


  13. #8
    greytruck started this thread.
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJinLV View Post
    In a just world nickel bronze would be priced to yellow brass at least what stainless steel is regular steel, with a scrap value a bit over $4. But it's hard to arrange a sale for it with less than maybe 500lbs (even that's probably too little) unless your yard has a specific, steady supply of it due to nearby manufacturing or machining. Hopefully they'll at least give you red brass price for it.
    I only have 20lbs mabey, so ill bring them in when i have a small load of shred and have room for some non ferrous to fill the truck. Ill tell them what it is and the nickel bronze and see what they have to say. Or ill bring one and ask the mgr and see what he has to say. i can always hold on to them and sell later.

  14. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by greytruck:



  15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Nickel Hi Temp Alloy Recycling - Nickel, Tungsten Metal Powder & Sludge Recycling
      By americanscrapmetal.com in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 12-13-2018, 02:37 AM
    2. Bronze pricing
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
    3. bronze question
      By ozzy214 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
    4. Red Brass VS. Bronze
      By george in forum Scrap Metal Identification
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM
    5. Brass vs Bronze
      By fatboy2131 in forum Non ferrous metal recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook