Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Non Ferrous Tickets....

| Scrap Metal Prices
  1. #1
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 872 Posts

    Non Ferrous Tickets....

    I took a haul in with (almost) nothing but non ferrous. It turned out to be a pretty good run. You can see what was being paid for just about anything....




  2. The Following 16 Users say Thank You for This Post by t00nces2:



  3. #2
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked 904 Times in 494 Posts
    Smart man. It pretty much tells the whole story doesn't it ? The bulk of the payout was in the higher paying items. You picked up a little bit extra with the lower value things.

    Imagine the work involved with hauling 4 tons of steel to the yard for a payout of less than what you got for the nonferrous.

    It's all hard work no matter what you're doing but is seems like it would be better to chase the non-ferrous right now.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:


  5. #3
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    1,367
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    Imagine the work involved with hauling 4 tons of steel to the yard for a payout of less than what you got for the nonferrous.
    Check your math..... 90/ton x 4 = $360 - $120 difference

  6. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by greytruck:


  7. #4
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked 904 Times in 494 Posts
    I guess it depends on where you are. It was running about 50.00$ / a ton uppd. last time i visited the yard.

    Didn't want to say anything but my results were similar to T's. Ran a load of non ferrous in my little civic to the yard for a payout of about 250.00 $

    120 miles driven round trip. Maybe 12.00$ in gas expense so there was a reasonably good net.

  8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by hills:


  9. #5
    auminer's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Allen, TX
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 826 Posts
    I don't go to the yard at all unless I am already going to be going to that area in the company truck. Mileage is a moot point for me.,
    Out of clutter, find simplicity. --Albert Einstein

  10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by auminer:


  11. #6
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,654
    Thanks
    5,901
    Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,496 Posts
    442 lb. $240.45 avg $.54 lb. Not bad at all good thing you had all that brass and alum cu raids.
    Better than the dump!

  12. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by hobo finds:


  13. #7
    auminer's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Allen, TX
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 826 Posts
    Was that copper aluminum from the pool heater?

    I've not seen a pool heater that wasn't #2 cu.

    Trying to fill in my knowledge base!

  14. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by auminer:


  15. #8
    auminer's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Allen, TX
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 826 Posts
    8 cents/pound for xmas lights gives me a sad. I've got a boatload of them

    I have some very old receipts with xmas lights at 35 a pound December 2012
    Last edited by auminer; 11-21-2019 at 05:56 PM.

  16. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by auminer:


  17. #9
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    1,367
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auminer View Post
    8 cents/pound for xmas lights gives me a sad. I've got a boatload of them

    I have some very old receipts with xmas lights at 35 a pound December 2012
    I was looking at a receipt from feb of 2014 last night. #2 ins copper wire was 1.48/lb back before the big collapse happened

  18. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by greytruck:


  19. #10
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    Smart man. It pretty much tells the whole story doesn't it ? The bulk of the payout was in the higher paying items. You picked up a little bit extra with the lower value things.

    Imagine the work involved with hauling 4 tons of steel to the yard for a payout of less than what you got for the nonferrous.

    It's all hard work no matter what you're doing but is seems like it would be better to chase the non-ferrous right now.
    Yes. I really don't go out of my way to pick up steel. If it lands on the trailer, eh. I will clean it up and harvest the higher paying materials and when the shred build up, I take it in.

    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    I guess it depends on where you are. It was running about 50.00$ / a ton uppd. last time i visited the yard.

    Didn't want to say anything but my results were similar to T's. Ran a load of non ferrous in my little civic to the yard for a payout of about 250.00 $

    120 miles driven round trip. Maybe 12.00$ in gas expense so there was a reasonably good net.
    There are probably a dozen yards within 20 miles of me. Even so, I will usually use the same yard about 5-6 miles from me.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobo finds View Post
    442 lb. $240.45 avg $.54 lb. Not bad at all good thing you had all that brass and alum cu raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by auminer View Post
    Was that copper aluminum from the pool heater?

    I've not seen a pool heater that wasn't #2 cu.

    Trying to fill in my knowledge base!
    Yes, that was an AC heat exchanger to help heat the pool. It had 2" PVC piping going into the unit. It was two Al/Cu radiators folded together.

    Quote Originally Posted by auminer View Post
    8 cents/pound for xmas lights gives me a sad. I've got a boatload of them

    I have some very old receipts with xmas lights at 35 a pound December 2012
    Turn and burn, baybeee. Should have turned them in years ago. Those Christmas lights will just make room for the new pile.

    Quote Originally Posted by greytruck View Post
    I was looking at a receipt from feb of 2014 last night. #2 ins copper wire was 1.48/lb back before the big collapse happened
    Yeah, but it turns into cash, and the ICW barrel will fill back up.

    I will tell you that the majority of the brass was purchased at yard sales at a discounted rate I knew I would do better selling than the purchase price.


  20. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by t00nces2:


  21. #11
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,521
    Thanks
    2,829
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,216 Posts
    [QUOTE=greytruck;298860]Check your math..... 90/ton x 4 = $360 - $120 difference[/QU

    Thats exactly what i have found out. That 1/3rd of your work gets you 2/3rds of your money.

    But that 2/3rds of your work, that gets you 1/3rd of your money, pays for all of the overheads.

    There's just no way to avoid it. But it pays.

  22. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:


  23. #12
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked 904 Times in 494 Posts
    Made another (mostly) non-ferrous run to the yard this morning. I like the small scale guys they've got there. Not hard to get along with at all. Sad, because i was the only customer there in the middle of a Saturday morning. Cast & sheet ali are down but all of the other prices have held steady since last there in September.

    Total payout 215.10. Total weight of everything was 394.5 lbs for an average 54.5 cents/lb.

    The best paying was 57.5 lbs of #2 copper for a total of 103.50

    The middle payer was 33 lbs of brass for a total of 37.95

    The least paying was 27.5 lbs of light iron for a total of 62 cents.

    Everything else like #2 insulated, ali, lead, lead batteries, cu/al radiators clean, were more or less in the middle paying category.

    It all adds up.

  24. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by hills:


  25. #13
    andyheim's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2015
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts
    4.5 for steel is great. What are ly motors? Low yield? Even so 5 cents a pound for that when you’re getting 4.5 for steel seems poor

  26. #14
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyheim View Post
    4.5 for steel is great. What are ly motors? Low yield? Even so 5 cents a pound for that when you’re getting 4.5 for steel seems poor
    I am not sure at this point. My guess would be low yield (copper) and were small motors that had not been separated copper from steel. I think I had some garbage disposals and fart fan motors.

  27. #15
    andyheim's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2015
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts
    Cast iron .05
    Ballasts .08
    Lead batteries .24
    Power chords .20
    Sheet and cast al .23
    Al cu rads .87
    Motors .11
    Cans .18
    Never understood why cans pay so much less out here

  28. #16
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,654
    Thanks
    5,901
    Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,496 Posts
    Dirty aluminum 65% recovery 160 lb. @ $.18 lb. With my extra $.10 pricing on this trip. $28.80

  29. #17
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 872 Posts
    Took a load in today. Cleaning off the trailer and getting rid of clutter. You will notice I got $80 for the brass candlesticks I got a couple weeks ago.




  30. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by t00nces2:


  31. #18
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,521
    Thanks
    2,829
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,216 Posts
    t00nces2. How come there's 2 amounts of 'Yellow Brass' on the weighmasters ticket?

    I would have thought they would be added together since its the same grade.

    It brings up a situation that matters here, to me, since we use Metric and a single Kg is 2.2 times the weight of a Lb ( pound )

    Its also shown in the OP's post of his ticket. But in Lb's its not going to matter as much.

    But, for every weigh up of a individual grade of metal, on average it weighs 50% more of a division than what the total is.
    So if i plunk down 100 Kgs of Copper its, on average 100.5 Kgs in actual weight. I loose 500 grams of Copper. = NZ$3.40 loss.
    If i divide that one sale into 10 amounts.. im going to get 9 sales of 9 Kgs & 1 of 10 Kgs. = 91 Kgs.
    So I loose 9Kgs @ NZ$6.80.
    = A loss of NZ$61
    Only because i sold low weight amounts.
    Ok, thats only going to be about $25 for you guys who sell by the Pound ( Lb )

    But, its $$.
    For me it means that i get more metal saved up & sell only the heaviest amount at one time.
    Like most of my scrap gets saved up in plastic 'Seed & feed sacks'.
    They will hold about 40Kgs (88 Lb's ) of Coal or seed or feed.

    And anywhere from 30 - 60 Kgs of Aluminium scrap. Or 55Kgs of Copper #2, varnish coated or Burnt Copper wire.
    So unless i need the $ for a specific need, i save up the metal untill the sacks full & sell it in one sale. Of one or two grades of metal.
    With Copper i might sell say as low as 40Kgs, since thats NZ$272 to me and i can do something proper with that.
    Its also about as much as i can pick up safely. LoL. Last time it was $360.
    52 Kgs in two sacks since i had to lift it.

    Doing this also gets rid of a situation that happened a while ago. I bought in a sack of random Aluminium. I thought "Ok, its all 'Domestic aluminium'. Weighs up @ 30 Kgs.
    But the guy on the scale tips it all out & seperates 'cast, from extrusion, from domestic, from sheet'.
    Got 28 Kgs, only lost 2 kgs, ( NZ$2 )but the extra time & dithering added up too.
    Last edited by eesakiwi; 01-10-2020 at 09:26 AM.

  32. #19
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post
    t00nces2. How come there's 2 amounts of 'Yellow Brass' on the weighmasters ticket?

    I would have thought they would be added together since its the same grade.

    It brings up a situation that matters here, to me, since we use Metric and a single Kg is 2.2 times the weight of a Lb ( pound )

    Its also shown in the OP's post of his ticket. But in Lb's its not going to matter as much.

    But, for every weigh up of a individual grade of metal, on average it weighs 50% more of a division than what the total is.
    So if i plunk down 100 Kgs of Copper its, on average 100.5 Kgs in actual weight. I loose 500 grams of Copper. = NZ$3.40 loss.
    If i divide that one sale into 10 amounts.. im going to get 9 sales of 9 Kgs & 1 of 10 Kgs. = 91 Kgs.
    So I loose 9Kgs @ NZ$6.80.
    = A loss of NZ$61
    Only because i sold low weight amounts.
    Ok, thats only going to be about $25 for you guys who sell by the Pound ( Lb )

    But, its $$.
    For me it means that i get more metal saved up & sell only the heaviest amount at one time.
    Like most of my scrap gets saved up in plastic 'Seed & feed sacks'.
    They will hold about 40Kgs (88 Lb's ) of Coal or seed or feed.

    And anywhere from 30 - 60 Kgs of Aluminium scrap. Or 55Kgs of Copper #2, varnish coated or Burnt Copper wire.
    So unless i need the $ for a specific need, i save up the metal untill the sacks full & sell it in one sale. Of one or two grades of metal.
    With Copper i might sell say as low as 40Kgs, since thats NZ$272 to me and i can do something proper with that.
    Its also about as much as i can pick up safely. LoL. Last time it was $360.
    52 Kgs in two sacks since i had to lift it.

    Doing this also gets rid of a situation that happened a while ago. I bought in a sack of random Aluminium. I thought "Ok, its all 'Domestic aluminium'. Weighs up @ 30 Kgs.
    But the guy on the scale tips it all out & seperates 'cast, from extrusion, from domestic, from sheet'.
    Got 28 Kgs, only lost 2 kgs, ( NZ$2 )but the extra time & dithering added up too.
    The reason there are two brass weights is there was a new guy there who started picking off the trailer before I could even get out of the truck. He grabbed one of the candle sticks and was checking it out. I told him it was brass and he was like, "wow, that is really cool!". He plunked it down on the scale and weighed it before I think it even registered there was a lot more brass to weigh. He placed the candle sticks off to the side like he was going to consider them for a while.

    The zinc I pulled out to see how it was going to price out. It was a lamp I picked up off the side of the road because I thought it might be brass... Oops, but I will keep an eye out for cheep zinc lamps in the future. If the $ is right, hi ho, hi ho, it's off to scrap I go! Lamps are throw aways here.

    I was a little surprised at the price of the mixed aluminum. I was driving down the road and came across some outdoor cast chairs. I pulled the cast iron legs off and unbolted the back to get rid of the steel nuts, but the steel bolts were still embedded in the cast alu. He actually gave me a better price on that crap than he did my clean aluminum radiator core... Who knows? Like I said, he was a new guy I hadn't seen there before.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to t00nces2 for This Post:


  34. #20
    andyheim's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2015
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts
    Prices today north jersey, highest copper has been in 10 months so I decided to sell:
    Bbw 2.51
    #1 2.26
    #2 2.06
    Sheet al .22
    Dirty al .05
    Stainless 0.28
    Brass 1.26
    Compressors .13
    Electric motors .14
    Al cu rads .98
    Power cords .25
    Spaghetti wire 1.50

    $123 was largest payout for one trip in a long time.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to andyheim for This Post:



  36. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Free BEYONCE and Jay-Z Concert Tickets
      By Proton in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
    2. Bartering turns $20 of ferrous into $130 worth of non-ferrous
      By Mick in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook