Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    ChronoGN started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Catalytic Converter Prices Gone Down the Drain?

    So, I've been sending out my catalytic converters to Rockaway Recycling because they used to offer good prices.
    But around July, their prices just went down by alot. I was quoted $45 for a Volvo Catalytic converter around end of July so I decided to hold off (I was expecting close to $100) and I just got another quote today and they now offer $25 for the same one.
    I tried to get quotes from different ship your cat places but they are not responding.... Has the catalytic converter prices gone down the drain recently? Are places just not buying them right now?
    Also, if anyone knows any good ship your catalytic converter places, let me know.



  2. #2
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,405
    Thanks
    1,159
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 2,079 Posts
    you may try this guy he has bought a few from me and other forum members

    https://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scra...tml?highlight=
    Last edited by mikeinreco; 09-09-2019 at 05:04 PM.

  3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:


  4. #3
    Kalvlin's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Dec 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    283
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 281 Times in 153 Posts
    Check out APA on the buyers forums.I have dealt with him a few times. Fair and square.I have not checked the prices lately .... I am also curious if is the case of a soft market for cats right now.
    I have a few I am holding onto until I get a load I feel is worth shipping.
    Remember... wherever you go... there you are

  5. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Kalvlin:


  6. #4
    ChronoGN started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    you may try this guy he has bought a few from me and other forum members

    https://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scra...tml?highlight=
    I've actually tried APA back in May and Rockaway offered better prices so I went with Rockaway back then.
    I tried to get another quote from him back in July but no response so I'm not sure if he is buying right now.

  7. #5
    TJMETALRECYCLERS's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
    if you can send me a picture of what you have and the numbers off of it, I will get you a price tomorrow when I go back to work.
    I am the Senior Purchasing Agent for Tosha LLC in Summerville SC. We have been in business for 20 years and buy in Cats all the time.
    Perhaps we can do some business together.
    You can send the info to;
    803-571-0383
    Thanks
    Last edited by TJMETALRECYCLERS; 09-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.

  8. #6
    mthomasdev's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pittsfield, ma
    Posts
    1,200
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMETALRECYCLERS View Post
    if you can send me a picture of what you have and the numbers off of it, I will get you a price tomorrow when I go back to work.
    I am the Senior Purchasing Agent for Tosha LLC in Summerville SC. We have been in business for 20 years and buy in Cats all the time.
    Perhaps we can do some business together.
    You can send the info to;
    803-571-0383
    Thanks
    Good to know you're on here. I've seen some of your E-waste pricing on Peony.

  9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mthomasdev:


  10. #7
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    If Rockaway is giving better prices than me, I will quit buying all together.



    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoGN View Post
    I've actually tried APA back in May and Rockaway offered better prices so I went with Rockaway back then.
    I tried to get another quote from him back in July but no response so I'm not sure if he is buying right now.

  11. #8
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    Prices are near an near an all time high for most Palladium based converters....why is Rockaway dropping prices on you?
    $45 and now $25 on a Volvo? My very lowest price possible on any Volvo would be $62 right now.




    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoGN View Post
    So, I've been sending out my catalytic converters to Rockaway Recycling because they used to offer good prices.
    But around July, their prices just went down by alot. I was quoted $45 for a Volvo Catalytic converter around end of July so I decided to hold off (I was expecting close to $100) and I just got another quote today and they now offer $25 for the same one.
    I tried to get quotes from different ship your cat places but they are not responding.... Has the catalytic converter prices gone down the drain recently? Are places just not buying them right now?
    Also, if anyone knows any good ship your catalytic converter places, let me know.

  12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by APA:


  13. #9
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    I seriously doubt the OP has 1,000 lbs of cut material to send to Metallix which they want as a minimum. Then wait 30-45 days or longer for your money. Then receive a bank wire. You also have to be vetted by them which takes time.


    They do not buy individual converters and do not even know how to grade them.



    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold12 View Post
    These guys been in business 45 years.


  14. #10
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    Catalytic converters are high right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvlin View Post
    Check out APA on the buyers forums.I have dealt with him a few times. Fair and square.I have not checked the prices lately .... I am also curious if is the case of a soft market for cats right now.
    I have a few I am holding onto until I get a load I feel is worth shipping.

  15. #11
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    878-207-6242 is my new picture/text line. Anyone can send me pictures for a free quote. You can also post pictures here and I will price them as a reply.

  16. #12
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    Rockaway $8 on aftermarkets; I am paying $15. Rockaway $24-$36 on domestic pres; I am $52 and up. Rockaway Small breadloafs $87-$105; I am paying $180 if I can’t read it, more if it’s a good code. Small foils Rockaway is $13-$18; I am paying $30 and up. My medium foils are $60 and up. Rockaway $36-$52 on large foils; I am $100 and up.

  17. #13
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    I am still buying. The prices I gave you in May were estimates because you stated some of your converters had damage and you couldn’t read/didn’t know the codes on some of them. I said I would need to see them in person. That way I could see what portion of the converters were missing and to look for codes to give you the most accurate highest price.

    I never received a text from you in July, I would have texted you back.




    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoGN View Post
    I've actually tried APA back in May and Rockaway offered better prices so I went with Rockaway back then.
    I tried to get another quote from him back in July but no response so I'm not sure if he is buying right now.

  18. #14
    ChronoGN started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by APA View Post
    I am still buying. The prices I gave you in May were estimates because you stated some of your converters had damage and you couldn’t read/didn’t know the codes on some of them. I said I would need to see them in person. That way I could see what portion of the converters were missing and to look for codes to give you the most accurate highest price.

    I never received a text from you in July, I would have texted you back.
    Hey, I actually got rid of my last batch already but I will probably hit you up again in the future. Wasn't trying to talk crap about your prices. At the time, Rockaway was giving pretty high quotes for some reason. Their prices sucks now.
    Maybe I txted your old number. I got your new number now.

  19. #15
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    Prices as of today are the highest ever on catalytic converters.

    As I stated, if Rockaway beats my prices on a load of converters, I will walk away from the business.

  20. #16
    msmoorad's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    650
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 716 Times in 342 Posts
    i agree- prices on cats are very good right now bcos precious metal prices are rising since most ppl foresee an impending recession. also the likely fall of the US dollar & all other fiat currencies.
    theres talk of going back to the gold standard- if thats the case, then precious metals will skyrocket in price/value.

  21. #17
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    Palladium and Rhodium are high at this point. Platinum is not. A recession will make the 3 metals decline. US dollar devalues, metals usually go down. Other currencies go down usually causes the US dollar value to increase. There has been talk about going back to the Gold standard for years is just that: TALK.



    Quote Originally Posted by msmoorad View Post
    i agree- prices on cats are very good right now bcos precious metal prices are rising since most ppl foresee an impending recession. also the likely fall of the US dollar & all other fiat currencies.
    theres talk of going back to the gold standard- if thats the case, then precious metals will skyrocket in price/value.

  22. #18
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,405
    Thanks
    1,159
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 2,079 Posts

  23. #19
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    APA- I sent you a text earlier today (631) area code. Thanks

  24. #20
    APA's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked 376 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyn8v View Post
    APA- I sent you a text earlier today (631) area code. Thanks
    I apologize I have been very busy and I have limited cell service when I am currently.


  25. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Catalytic Converter
      By TexasDeere in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 10-26-2019, 12:49 AM
    2. This thead is a question - Catalytic Converter Value?
      By Cory2081 in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-02-2017, 07:34 PM
    3. Catalytic converter
      By BubbasGarage in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 72
      Last Post: 04-21-2015, 04:24 PM
    4. Need help with a GM Catalytic converter
      By AuburnEwaste in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-01-2014, 10:56 PM
    5. catalytic converter with pic
      By ChrisSG in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 02-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook