Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    THEDANIMAL started this thread.
    THEDANIMAL's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Oct 2014
    Location
    scranton, pa
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts

    difference between extruded aluminum and sheet aluminum

    hey guys can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction in how i could identify extruded aluminum and sheet aluminum? For example, crutches, bigger umbrellas, heater cores, window screens, etc? thanks.


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to THEDANIMAL for This Post:



  3. #2
    Otto's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    335
    Thanks
    494
    Thanked 322 Times in 166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THEDANIMAL View Post
    hey guys can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction in how i could identify extruded aluminum and sheet aluminum? For example, crutches, bigger umbrellas, heater cores, window screens, etc? thanks.
    Just look at the profile. If it was formed by being pushed through a die, it's extruded. If it was folded or creased to its shape, it's sheet.

  4. The Following 8 Users say Thank You for This Post by Otto:


  5. #3
    ParkerFlyer4's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    north west
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked 524 Times in 188 Posts
    Think of extruded as Play Do being pushed through a form, then sliced.

    Sometimes it is machined further after the extrusion. These marks should be visible.

    Everything you listed is sheet. Some heavy duty screens might have extruded. Older windows should be framed in extruded.

    If you can break it with a hammer, Its cast.
    Last edited by ParkerFlyer4; 12-02-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added info

  6. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by ParkerFlyer4:


  7. #4
    Mechanic688's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    11,247
    Thanked 10,712 Times in 4,723 Posts
    Check out the similar threads down below, there might be further answers there.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

  8. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:


  9. #5
    mthomasdev's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pittsfield, ma
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFlyer4 View Post
    Think of extruded as Play Do being pushed through a form, then sliced.

    Sometimes it is machined further after the extrusion. These marks should be visible.

    Everything you listed is sheet. Some heavy duty screens might have extruded. Older windows should be framed in extruded.

    If you can break it with a hammer, Its cast.
    Parker,

    I would disagree with you. Most of the crutches that I get are extrusions (if cleaned properly). Large umbrellas (yard type), the pole is usually extrusions (have to clean) and the upper parts can also be. Window screens can go either way. Glass windows are almost always extrusions.

    Danimal,

    You need to keep in mind that for extrusions to go as extrusions, they can have no screws, no putty, no weather stripping, etc.. On the window screens and glass windows, most times there is some cast aluminum holding the 4 pieces together and maybe 2 pieces of cast to remove the screen or glass. The cast parts need to be removed.

    The other thing that you need to remember is if the yard can find a reason to buy something at a lower price, they make more money when they upgrade it. Meaning you bring in something that should go as extrusions, but you didn't clean it properly, they will buy it as sheet or worse yet, maybe dirty aluminum. They then spend a few minutes doing what you should have done and then they sell it as extrusions. Your loss, their gain.
    Last edited by mthomasdev; 12-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.

  10. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by mthomasdev:


  11. #6
    ParkerFlyer4's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    north west
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked 524 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomasdev View Post
    Parker,

    I would disagree with you. Most of the crutches that I get are extrusions (if cleaned properly). Large umbrellas (yard type), the pole is usually extrusions (have to clean) and the upper parts can also be. Window screens can go either way. Glass windows are almost always extrusions.
    I Personally have always known crutches as sheet. Ill inspect them closer if I get some more.
    You might be right about some yard umbrellas. My yard would take em as sheet or mixed, I wont spend the time to clean the paint off of them.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ParkerFlyer4 for This Post:


  13. #7
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2013
    Location
    Fleetwood, NC
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 86 Times in 34 Posts

    difference between extruded aluminum and sheet aluminum

    Some aluminum tubing is welded, some is rolled sheet and crimped, and some is extruded. Crimped is obvious....example: old style tv and radio antennas. Welded tubing is usually a lot less obvious. Ever look at those old style aluminum patio chairs? There's no sign of welds, but all the ends of the tubes are capped and welded. Pretty safe bet that the tubing is too. Extruded aluminum tubing usually has tiny, hair thin lines, running the length of the tubing. You have to look extremely close to notice this.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to scrappinlife for This Post:


  15. #8
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,656
    Thanks
    5,909
    Thanked 5,781 Times in 2,499 Posts
    all sheet by me as well. Extruded can be window frames, some heavy alum patio chairs and such.

  16. #9
    EcoSafe's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    3,713
    Thanked 6,800 Times in 1,952 Posts
    Heat sinks are extruded no matter what your yard tries to tell you. they are 6061 I believe, the heavy ones are aqlu/cu
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

  17. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:


  18. #10
    ParkerFlyer4's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    north west
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked 524 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olddude View Post
    Heat sinks are extruded no matter what your yard tries to tell you. they are 6061 I believe, the heavy ones are aqlu/cu
    I have to tell the scale guy that they are extruded every time. But they still don't believe me, even after inspecting them. They are happy to pay me a few more cents per lbs. in the end though.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ParkerFlyer4 for This Post:


  20. #11
    mthomasdev's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pittsfield, ma
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFlyer4 View Post
    I Personally have always known crutches as sheet. Ill inspect them closer if I get some more.
    You might be right about some yard umbrellas. My yard would take em as sheet or mixed, I wont spend the time to clean the paint off of them.
    All the yards that I use that have an extrusion category, you don't need to clean paint for them to go as extrusions.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to mthomasdev for This Post:


  22. #12
    newattitude's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hinckley Ohio, home of the buzzards
    Posts
    2,163
    Thanks
    1,431
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 903 Posts
    I've never known crutches to be anything other than old sheet. If its cleaned it *may* go as what I know as ''clip.''

    Umbrellas are bought as old sheet and then we upgrade them to painted extrusion or #3 extrusion
    Scrapper, Scrap Yard Worker, Horse farm worker, Cooler Puller and just plain ''tired''

  23. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by newattitude:


  24. #13
    zaydeh's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
    many aluminum heat sinks are extruded, for sure not all. Buying at my scale I have seen more than a few heat sinks that are aluminum plate with fins in them like this:
    Progressive Stamped Heat Sink Project Highlights

    Product Description This Aluminum Heat Sink Fin Assembly was
    developed for a Projection Television application
    Capabilities Applied/Processes
    Development
    • Develop a Cost Effective Heat Sink for
    Maximum Heat Dissipation
    Stamping
    Custom Mechanical Assembly
    Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
    Minster
    • 150 Ton

    Brown Boggs
    • 200 Ton
    Tooling
    • Progressive Dies
    • 8 Stations for Base Plates
    • 10 Stations for Fins
    Overall Part Dimensions
    Base Plate:
    Material Thickness: .065"
    Length: 6.5"
    Width: 3.5"
    Height: 1.0"
    Unfolded Fin
    Length: 18"
    Folded Fin:
    Material Thickness: .020"
    Length: 5.75"
    Width: 3.25"
    Height: 1.50"
    Tightest Tolerances Base Plate: .005"
    Folded Fin: .00075"
    Material Used Aluminum
    Estimated Part Weight .35 lbs
    Features/Benefits Custom Staking Method of Incompatible Material Thicknesses
    • Eliminates Glue Seal & More Expensive Techniques
    In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
    In-Process Real-time SPC of Critical Dimensions
    CMM Measurement
    Strength Testing on Stakes
    Cleanliness Sediment Testing
    Dimensional Results Reporting
    Control Plan
    Process Flow Diagram
    Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
    Gage Repeatability
    Reproducibility Variable Data Report
    Raw Material Chemical Composition Results
    MSDS - Material Safety & Data Report/Substances
    and Materials
    Industry for Use Consumer Electronics
    Volume 600,000 Pieces
    Packaging Special Pack Thermal-Formed Packing Trays
    • Anti-Static
    Lead Time Tooling: 14 Weeks
    Production Parts: 6 Weeks
    Delivery Location Tenessee
    Mexico
    Standards Met Customer supplied print, 2D CAD Drawing
    Product Name Heat Sink Fin Assembly
    I have also seen a lot of small heat sinks that are injection molded or cast.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to zaydeh for This Post:


  26. #14
    newattitude's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hinckley Ohio, home of the buzzards
    Posts
    2,163
    Thanks
    1,431
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 903 Posts
    ^^My big yard I sell to buys those as old sheet but if I clean them they become extrusion and the fin part goes in old sheet.

  27. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by newattitude:


  28. #15
    mthomasdev's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pittsfield, ma
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newattitude View Post
    I've never known crutches to be anything other than old sheet. If its cleaned it *may* go as what I know as ''clip.''

    Umbrellas are bought as old sheet and then we upgrade them to painted extrusion or #3 extrusion
    I think this thread just shows everyone how different things are from one yard to the next and how important it is to now how each of your yards classify items and what they pay for them in order to maximize profits.

    I have 3 yards that get 99% of my material. One large multi location yard only has clean and dirty aluminum (and aluminum rims). My main yard closest to my house has many categories, but not Mixed Low Copper Clip, otherwise know as MLC or Clip. They do have a Solids category that may be the same a MLC. Another yard about 40 minutes away has numerous categories. I'm not up there enough to have a full understanding of how they grade every category. I have sold computer heat sinks there and most times gotten extrusions. I did get MLC once for them.

    As New has indicated, yards will purchase as one category and upgrade to another, as her umbrella explanation shows. My advice to everyone is to ask alot of questions at your yards. Learn the way they grade and what you need to do to upgrade these items yourself.
    Last edited by mthomasdev; 12-09-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling

  29. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by mthomasdev:


  30. #16
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    elkton,md
    Posts
    1,062
    Thanks
    8,526
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomasdev View Post
    I think this thread just shows everyone how different things are from one yard to the next and how important it is to now how each of your yards classify items and what they pay for them in order to maximize profits.

    I have 3 yards that get 99% of my material. One large multi location yard only has clean and dirty aluminum (and aluminum rims). My main yard closest to my house has many categories, but not Mixed Low Copper Clip, otherwise know as MLC or Clip. They do have a Solids category that may be the same a MLC. Another yard about 40 minutes away has numerous categories. I'm not up there enough to have a full understanding of how they grade every category. I have sold computer heat sinks there and most times gotten extrusions. I did get MLC once for them.

    As New has indicated, yards will purchase as one category and upgrade to another, as her umbrella explanation shows. My advice to everyone is to ask alot of questions at your yards. Learn the way they grade and what you need to do to upgrade these items yourself.
    Man iam lucky I guess. My yard only differentiate' s cans (higher price) everything else goes in same tub, same price.

    But having worked at that yard I know they separate it themselves.

  31. #17
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Extrusion is defined as the following.

    The process of generating a surface by translating a plane curve parallel to some line is called extrusion, and surfaces that are generated by extrusion are called cylindrical surfaces . A familiar example of the surface of a right circular cylinder which can be generated by translating a circle parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The following theorem provides basic information about graphing equations in two variables in 3-space.
    Theorem: An equation that contains only two of the variables x, y, and z, represent a cylindrical surface in an xyz coordinate system. The surface can be obtained by graphing the equation in the coordinate plane of two variables that appear in the equation and then translating that graph parallel to the axis of the missing variable.

    I hope this clears things up.
    I only get to answer someone like this about every 5 years, so I could not resist

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to EuclidPrime for This Post:


  33. #18
    msmoorad's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    678
    Thanked 740 Times in 352 Posts
    the yards by me take heatsinks as old hard sheet- i know im being ripped off bcos they're def extrusion.
    i dont know whats their reason for this.

    i wont be surprised of they sell them as extrusion after buying it from us.

  34. #19
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    330
    Thanks
    294
    Thanked 550 Times in 217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msmoorad View Post
    the yards by me take heatsinks as old hard sheet- i know im being ripped off bcos they're def extrusion.
    i dont know whats their reason for this.

    i wont be surprised of they sell them as extrusion after buying it from us.

    My yard refuses to accept that crutches are extruded. I guess because SOME are not extruded that means for them that NONE are extruded.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to 520 for This Post:


  36. #20
    Patriot76's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Buffalo Commons
    Posts
    2,771
    Thanks
    9,999
    Thanked 6,820 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 520 View Post
    My yard refuses to accept that crutches are extruded. I guess because SOME are not extruded that means for them that NONE are extruded.
    If you cannot see the seam inside the tube where it is mended together, it should be considered extrusion. Sometimes you cannot see the mill lines on the outside of aluminum which identifies extrusion without the aid of a magnifying glass. If you share this with the yard they should appreciate your knowledge and might be acceptable to other questionable metal. It really helps when you have a sample of each to demonstrate your keen eye. At least they will be less likely to play games with you.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

  37. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Patriot76:



  38. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Is aluminum tubing sheet or extruded
      By MetalMatt in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM
    2. Aluminum Cans < Sheet Aluminum?
      By CanIScrapIt in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 04-23-2013, 11:27 PM
    3. Aluminum - Sheet, Cast, Extruded, Wire, Cans & Irony
      By BiggerHammer in forum Scrap Metal Videos
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
    4. Extruded Aluminum??
      By shadow1372 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
    5. Extruded aluminum
      By wayne1956 in forum Non ferrous metal recycling
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 01-28-2011, 12:21 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook