Results 1 to 12 of 12

I Would Like Some Info

| Off Topic Discussions
  1. #1
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,596
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 917 Posts

    I Would Like Some Info

    I am considering a move to the Ga, Tn, SC, NC, Al area in the next few years and I am looking for input by those in the area.



    I am curious about the taxation in the area. Is the area gun friendly and hunter friendly? Are land prices reasonable? Is there reasonably rural areas where a oime can be purchased for a reasonable price? Anyone in those areas have any insight that would cross of areas or areas I should be sure to look into. I have visited the Ga, NC, SC Tn area and think it is very nice there but have never looked into social culture there other than diners and grocery stores.... The people there seem very kind and laid back. We want to be where the night sky is dark and I can't hear the interstate roaring 24/7. I want to grow old in peace.


  2. #2
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    1,216
    Thanked 4,776 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Your lack of replies may mean we don't need any more transplants here in good ole' Tennessee

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:


  4. #3
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    725
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 590 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    I am considering a move to the Ga, Tn, SC, NC, Al area in the next few years and I am looking for input by those in the area.

    I am curious about the taxation in the area. Is the area gun friendly and hunter friendly? Are land prices reasonable? Is there reasonably rural areas where a oime can be purchased for a reasonable price? Anyone in those areas have any insight that would cross of areas or areas I should be sure to look into. I have visited the Ga, NC, SC Tn area and think it is very nice there but have never looked into social culture there other than diners and grocery stores.... The people there seem very kind and laid back. We want to be where the night sky is dark and I can't hear the interstate roaring 24/7. I want to grow old in peace.

    It sounds like you may be well suited for the midwest! Unless cold is a big no for you, in the midwest the taxes are low, cost of living is low, and the dollar bill goes very far. Also has some of the cheapers and most abundant land around. You could probably buy a ranch on 20 acres in the midwest for the same price as a small house on almost no land by the beach in florida. They also have some of the most state game lands and are very gun and hunter friendly from what I have heard.

    I think GA/TN/SC and NC areas are all getting an influx of people meaning prices are going higher, and its people you probably couldn't see yourself wanting to live around. Just my thoughts. Im hoping to get out on a ton of land at some point and midwest is where I have been considering.... got many many years til I am there though and lots can change in a short amount of time.

    You may have your reasons for limiting the search to the places you listed, just throwing it out there!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to kss for This Post:


  6. #4
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    1,216
    Thanked 4,776 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Yep with no state income tax and fairly cheap living they migrate here daily

  7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:


  8. #5
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,596
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kss View Post
    It sounds like you may be well suited for the midwest! Unless cold is a big no for you, in the midwest the taxes are low, cost of living is low, and the dollar bill goes very far. Also has some of the cheapers and most abundant land around. You could probably buy a ranch on 20 acres in the midwest for the same price as a small house on almost no land by the beach in florida. They also have some of the most state game lands and are very gun and hunter friendly from what I have heard.

    I think GA/TN/SC and NC areas are all getting an influx of people meaning prices are going higher, and its people you probably couldn't see yourself wanting to live around. Just my thoughts. Im hoping to get out on a ton of land at some point and midwest is where I have been considering.... got many many years til I am there though and lots can change in a short amount of time.

    You may have your reasons for limiting the search to the places you listed, just throwing it out there!
    Cold is not a deal breaker, but I worry about tornados. I would also like to be where there are some mountains or hills. I am tired of flat. I can't see 100 yards in any direction here and I want to be able to have some access to running water and lakes without gators in them.

  9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by t00nces2:


  10. #6
    jimicrk's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,657
    Thanks
    2,794
    Thanked 4,617 Times in 1,771 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    Your lack of replies may mean we don't need any more transplants here in good ole' Tennessee

    I hear Knoxville is very nice.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jimicrk for This Post:


  12. #7
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    1,216
    Thanked 4,776 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Lol....I was in Nashville for a while also

  13. #8
    Patriot76's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Buffalo Commons
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    10,225
    Thanked 7,072 Times in 2,200 Posts
    It sounds like you want to move where I live. Closest n/s interstate is 55 mi. away and e/w is 100 mi. away. There are five stop lights to the first one and none to the second one. There are three stop signs to the second one, but most ignore them because there is no traffic. The problem is it is not in any of the states you inquired about. No state income tax, inheritance tax, or a government to tell you what to do on a daily basis (it does make recommendations that most will follow.) One state averages one tornado a year and the other state cannot remember the last one. You will have to deal with blizzards, ice storms, extreme heat, and neighbors that go out of their way to help. That is a pain if you are not into socializing.

    It is recommended that if you move here you buy the local sheriff a cup of coffee to get a concealed carry permit. Few carry but everyone has them in their vehicle for varmints. Gossip revolves around the bite at local lakes and where the elk herd is moving. Of course as a newcomer they will focus on what time you turn out your lights at night and when they come on in the morning. If you go on vacation for more than two days everyone in the county will know and there will be a high school party at your house. We leave our keys in the vehicles in case a neighbor needs it, that way they do not have to wake you up. If a teenager takes it for a joy ride a neighbor will tell you who, what, when, and where.

    Long story short, you do not have to socialize, but everyone knows your business. BTW $150,000 will buy you 50 acres and a farm house. This is not a place to retire unless you have developed certain survival skills. Every community has it's benefits and drawbacks. For me I am in the right place, at the right time.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

  14. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Patriot76:


  15. #9
    matador's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

    Member since
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Big Wonderful Wyoming
    Posts
    2,282
    Thanks
    1,804
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,433 Posts
    I mean, it sounds like OP described NW Wyoming perfectly with his desires. There’s a reason our housing market is booming out here. There are still some hidden gems at least for cheap housing
    More than Scrap Value Shipment Tips: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...tml#post242349

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:


  17. #10
    jimicrk's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,657
    Thanks
    2,794
    Thanked 4,617 Times in 1,771 Posts
    I do love middle Tennesse especially Nashville. I don't like the tornadoes. We've never been hit directly but there have been to many close calls.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to jimicrk for This Post:


  19. #11
    t00nces2 started this thread.
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,596
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot76 View Post
    It sounds like you want to move where I live. Closest n/s interstate is 55 mi. away and e/w is 100 mi. away. There are five stop lights to the first one and none to the second one. There are three stop signs to the second one, but most ignore them because there is no traffic. The problem is it is not in any of the states you inquired about. No state income tax, inheritance tax, or a government to tell you what to do on a daily basis (it does make recommendations that most will follow.) One state averages one tornado a year and the other state cannot remember the last one. You will have to deal with blizzards, ice storms, extreme heat, and neighbors that go out of their way to help. That is a pain if you are not into socializing.

    It is recommended that if you move here you buy the local sheriff a cup of coffee to get a concealed carry permit. Few carry but everyone has them in their vehicle for varmints. Gossip revolves around the bite at local lakes and where the elk herd is moving. Of course as a newcomer they will focus on what time you turn out your lights at night and when they come on in the morning. If you go on vacation for more than two days everyone in the county will know and there will be a high school party at your house. We leave our keys in the vehicles in case a neighbor needs it, that way they do not have to wake you up. If a teenager takes it for a joy ride a neighbor will tell you who, what, when, and where.

    Long story short, you do not have to socialize, but everyone knows your business. BTW $150,000 will buy you 50 acres and a farm house. This is not a place to retire unless you have developed certain survival skills. Every community has it's benefits and drawbacks. For me I am in the right place, at the right time.
    Thank you, Patriot.... That is good, but a little more rural than i was looking for.... Maybe a little closer to the no stoplight town.... A home, five acres and a barn/shop. A couple neighbors and a Lowes or Home Depot I can work at fifteen miles away.

  20. #12
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    4,814
    Thanks
    15,187
    Thanked 5,740 Times in 2,650 Posts
    My friend lived near me in NC and moved to the middle of TN for the curvy road, he rides motorcycles. I don't have the money to make the move other wise I'd be in TN, WY, SD, ND, or MT. NC isn't bad but its not getting better. 73, Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

    Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:



  22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Need info please
      By Lowrider1984 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-06-2016, 07:22 AM
    2. Need info.!
      By dshrader in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 02-25-2014, 04:31 PM
    3. This thead is a question - 6.4l info
      By NotSoBadDan in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 02-22-2014, 09:38 PM
    4. Any info on this would help
      By mattscrapmetalinc in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM
    5. Need Info...
      By imyourgirl in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 12-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook