Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    WeAreGod started this thread.
    WeAreGod's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Flatscreen TV plastic/junk disposal/recycling?

    I've got a decent amount of Flatscreen TVs to break down and scrap.

    I've always felt really bad about breaking down the plastics and putting them in garbage bins for standard collection.

    Does anyone know of any way to recycle the TV plastics? Or any insight into what the components are?



    (located in North-Eastern PA)


  2. #2
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Unfortunately I have tried a bunch of avenues to look for plastic recyclers (even that would just take them for free!) and haven't been able to find anyone that would take them at scales less than a truckload (18-wheeler truck load). I tend to stay away from tvs for this reason, it is hard to get rid of the plastics and the LCDs, and it is actually illegal to throw LCDs in the trash. Most of the time if I get things with plasctic and metal on them I just try to leave the plastic attached to the metal and throw it into my shred pile for the scrapyard. Usually if it is at least 50% metal, my yard will take it all as light iron since they have that priced in.

  3. #3
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    549
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked 625 Times in 329 Posts
    A quick Google search turned this up.

    https://www.okwenclosures.com/en/tec...ics_guide.html

    I think you would have to sort through and figure out which is which. It seems pretty complicated but with enough time and effort .... you might become very good at knowing which kinds can be recycled and which kinds can't.

    JMHO YMMV:

    The global recycling industry is going through some pretty bad times right now. I wouldn't recommend getting into plastics recycling. You would probably lose your shirt.

    You know how they say reduce, reuse, recycle ?

    The better option here might be to reuse the flat screen TV's that you are taking in. It's the "better than scrap" option that they're always talking about. It's still a roll of the dice but you could make way better money selling refurbished units -or- tested parts. The trick would be to open up a market somewhere.

    Recycling is generally the lowest paying option.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to hills for This Post:


  5. #4
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    14,687
    Thanked 5,603 Times in 2,591 Posts
    No I have found no viable way to recycle my plastics since my county has restricted what is acceptable to be included in their recycle bins.

    I will mention that you may be able to resell the boards if they work. I was doing this for a while and stopped because of the problem of disposing of the plastics.

    By the way troubleshooting and repairing many of the flat screen tvs is simple and easy. Youtube is your friend for learning about repairing tvs. 73, Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

    Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

  6. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:


  7. #5
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    549
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked 625 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kss View Post
    Unfortunately I have tried a bunch of avenues to look for plastic recyclers (even that would just take them for free!) and haven't been able to find anyone that would take them at scales less than a truckload (18-wheeler truck load). I tend to stay away from tvs for this reason, it is hard to get rid of the plastics and the LCDs, and it is actually illegal to throw LCDs in the trash. Most of the time if I get things with plasctic and metal on them I just try to leave the plastic attached to the metal and throw it into my shred pile for the scrapyard. Usually if it is at least 50% metal, my yard will take it all as light iron since they have that priced in.
    Is the issue with the LCD's the tiny little fluorescent backlights ? Maybe they contain small amounts of mercury like the CFL's do ?

    Maybe they would be okay if the backlights were removed and properly recycled ?

  8. #6
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    Is the issue with the LCD's the tiny little fluorescent backlights ? Maybe they contain small amounts of mercury like the CFL's do ?

    Maybe they would be okay if the backlights were removed and properly recycled ?

    I am not sure exactly which parts they do not like or are toxic, but in PA at least monitors and all electronics are technically e-waste and not legally allowed to go into a landfill. Throwing a toaster or blender or other non-computer related electronics are usually taken no problem but I have seen the trash people leave LCD and CRT tvs and monitors behind and not take them. There are 2 dumps near me that will take WHOLE LCDs/CRTs, but from residents only (have to show ID that has address in the county) and you can only bring 3 per time, AND they wont take them if you have taken them apart/are not whole.

  9. #7
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 646 Posts
    Here is how i do flatscreen tvs. Cut the cord and leave the whole thing were it sits. then you dont have to deal with the screen or the plastic

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to greytruck for This Post:

    kss

  11. #8
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,633
    Thanks
    5,858
    Thanked 5,742 Times in 2,483 Posts
    Flatscreens can go in with the shred around here
    Better than the dump!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to hobo finds for This Post:


  13. #9
    kss's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    May 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo finds View Post
    Flatscreens can go in with the shred around here
    I bet I could sneak them in with my shred loads here.... but I dont think its worth it to risk any ill-will with my yard over it. I could always ask them though!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to kss for This Post:


  15. #10
    hills's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    549
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked 625 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kss View Post
    I am not sure exactly which parts they do not like or are toxic, but in PA at least monitors and all electronics are technically e-waste and not legally allowed to go into a landfill. Throwing a toaster or blender or other non-computer related electronics are usually taken no problem but I have seen the trash people leave LCD and CRT tvs and monitors behind and not take them. There are 2 dumps near me that will take WHOLE LCDs/CRTs, but from residents only (have to show ID that has address in the county) and you can only bring 3 per time, AND they wont take them if you have taken them apart/are not whole.
    They've had an electronics recycling thing going on here for quite awhile now. There's a separate building at the transfer station just for electronics recycling. I guess you could say that we've been out there on the "bleeding edge" of the recycling effort since the 70's. The lawmakers in the state congress are pretty environmentally minded.

    The system that's in place seems to be getting a bit ragged around the edges. It's not working like it did a few years ago. The stuff is still being collected at the electronics recycling building but it's not going anywhere. It's just sitting there piling up. The building is stuffed full and now it's spilling out into the parking lot. That seems to be the case with the other electronics recycling buildings that i've checked out as well.

    As nearly as i can tell the whole problem revolves around funding and who pays for what. The electronics recycling effort isn't self sustaining. It needs to be government subsidized to keep it working.

    To make a long complicated story short : The state legislature effectively cut the funding for the program and now it's slowly falling apart.

    It's all rather sad.


  16. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. plastic recycling in CA
      By kinipela in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM
    2. Plastic or glass recycling???
      By Cole in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM
    3. ABS plastic and CRT disposal in WI
      By pappawheelie in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
    4. Plastic Recycling - Something to keep an eye on
      By Craasher in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
    5. recycling plastic in ri/ma?
      By ruben23 in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook