Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 89

Biscuits Catylitic Converter Project - Page 4

| More than Scrap Value
  1. #61
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Believe it or not freezing the cat comb in a pail of water will release the precious metals powder on thawing.



    When water turns to ice it expands, ice inside the honey comb channels as it expands scrubs the powder loose.

    In the old days a farmer having a large boulder too large to physically move would drill a few holes filling them with water to freeze during the winter come spring the boulder would be broken down into manageable pieces.

    Because the ends of the honey comb are open the ice as it freezes take the path of least resistance.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to blackgold12 for This Post:



  3. #62
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    The ultrasonic tank is two days old, I may have been to quick in judging its performance, its more suited to removing the precious metals powders from foils.

    The ceramic material is to soft and it absorbs energy from the cavitation bubbles as they implode, just like a sound proof room works with acoustic paneling.

    Pail of dirty liquid is powder in suspension from foils when it settled out the liquid will be recycled into the sonic cell. I have a bottom drain on the tank.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by blackgold12; 07-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.

  4. #63
    Patriot76's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Buffalo Commons
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    9,341
    Thanked 6,438 Times in 1,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold12 View Post
    The ultrasonic tank is two days old, I may have been to quick in judging its performance, its more suited to removing the precious metals powders from foils.

    The ceramic material is to soft and it absorbs energy from the cavitation bubbles as they implode, just like a sound proof room works with acoustic paneling.

    Pail of dirty liquid is powder in suspension from foils when it settled out the liquid will be recycled into the sonic cell. I have a bottom drain on the tank.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Welcome back. Now we have four friends on the same thread.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

  5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Patriot76:


  6. #64
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold12 View Post
    Thank you alloy2 for this valuable post.

    Platinum 979 PPM = 28.61 troy ounces at 01/01/16 price $38,132.00
    Platinum 979 PPM = 28.61 troy ounces at today’s price $23,801.69
    Palladium 2736 PPM = 79.97 Troy ounce at 01/01/16 price $64,688.00
    Palladium 2736 PPM = 79.97 Troy ounce at today's price $123,140.00
    Rhodium 374 PPM = 10.93 troy ounces at01/01/16 price $14,045.00
    Rhodium 374 PPM = 10.93 troy ounces at today's price $34,429.50

    01/01/16 paid out $116,865.00
    2019 value $181,276.19

    That same shipment today would have increased in value by $64,411.19

    You have the Volkswagen emissions scandal in part to thank for that then the fact that China is increasing emissions standards on vehicles produced for domestic use. Not sure on export standards.
    Hate to admit when I'm wrong but math is my shortcoming, the guy shipped 8000 pounds but the assay numbers are from an assay ton which is 2000 lbs, His 2019 payout would have been four times the amount I've given.

    Payout based on his assay for 2019 would have been $725,104.76
    Each pound of cat comb had a value of $90.63.

    Definition of assay ton

    : a unit of weight of ore taken for assay equal to 29166²/₃ milligrams, the number of milligrams of precious metal in this amount of ore being equal to the number of troy ounces per 2000-pound ton

  7. #65
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    This is the mud in the bucket from the sonic cell, I'm guessing on the low side and say there's at least one troy ounce there.

    The dish is from a front load washing machine, the glass is a Borosilicate glass is a type of glass with silica and boron trioxide as the main glass-forming constituents. Borosilicate glasses are known for having very low coefficients of thermal expansion (≈3 × 106 K1 at 20 °C), making them resistant to thermal shock, more so than any other common glass.

    I bet you guys could get $40.00 each selling them as evaporating dish's on eBay, they hold five liters of liquid. Not all have a flat face like the one I'm using.

    Makes the perfect evaporating dish with that wide mouth, cuts down on the time needed to evaporate liquids.


    [IMG][/IMG]

  8. #66
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Crystallizing ammonia chloride, the action is a bit slow but kinda neat


  9. #67
    Ohio Scrapper's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 289 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot76 View Post
    Welcome back. Now we have four friends on the same thread.
    You'll have to admit, he doesn't give up!

  10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Ohio Scrapper:


  11. #68
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    The precious metals wash coat is on the surface of the monolith, poor air filter maintenance is the major cause of platinum roadside pollution. It's well documented, Cody's Lab even did an experiment from dust swept up from a highway that proves it.

    As I've demonstrated with ultrasonic's and a few other experiments like freezing the cat the wash coat is easily removed, there could be a valid argument that I'm not recovering all the values present.

    But after shipping out a drum of milled cat with 580 pounds of milled cat comb from which I had an independent assay done with American Analytical showing my comb had a value of $35.00 us per pound and should have received back from the refinery in the neighborhood of $20,00.00 but instead got a measly $6,000.00.

    I had $6,000.00 into purchasing those cats plus an additional $500.00 for shipping and another $50.00 for brokerage fees, Legacy bankrupted my operation and I swore then and there to never put myself into a situation where I'm the lowest man in the food chain.

    Legacy consigned my shipment to Metalix who did the actual refining.

    Now ya all know how I felt getting bit by a shark, then after the wound healed decided if I could just recover the precious metals wash coat there would be no further need to be that low man in the food chain. My refinery options would be limitless, plus there would be no brokerage or $500.00 high shipping fee to ship a few hundred grams over hundreds of pounds of material.

    From the various experiments I'vm done all work, some are quicker at doing the work of removing the wash coat than others but the end results are the same.

    Now I'm going to add this toy, it's an engine cleaning gun that siphons a solvent then blows this with compressed air to remove dirt and grime from an engine block.

    My theory is that once a bit of precious metals wash coat has become liberated in just plain old water it will become the abrasive, the engine cleaning gun under pressure becomes a sand blaster but instead of using an aggressive media we're using wash coat

    Fortunately larceny does not reside in my soul, but just imagine a guy selling cats by the numbers on the canister had he first used high pressure water to remove the majority of the wash coat before selling the canister.

    I see a good legal argument here, buyer is buying a numbered canister with out an assay to prove values inside the canister. I wonder how the jury would rule on this, bet a good lawyer would win the case.

    Anyhow I've off to the jobber to purchase an engine cleaning gun for more experiments.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  12. #69
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Scrapper View Post
    You'll have to admit, he doesn't give up!
    I don't expect to be here long, just sharing some of my hard work so that others may profit from it.

  13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by blackgold12:


  14. #70
    jimicrk's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,398
    Thanks
    2,630
    Thanked 4,192 Times in 1,594 Posts
    It's like a family reunion in here except the Snowman is missing. He was on vacation but he's not anymore.

    Thanks blackgold for the info.

  15. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by jimicrk:


  16. #71
    Ohio Scrapper's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 289 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold12 View Post
    I don't expect to be here long, just sharing some of my hard work so that others may profit from it.
    No offense meant my friend, I've always enjoyed your posts no matter which name you go by.

  17. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Ohio Scrapper:


  18. #72
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Scrapper View Post
    No offense meant my friend, I've always enjoyed your posts no matter which name you go by.
    No offense taken.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to blackgold12 for This Post:


  20. #73
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    1,118
    Thanked 4,365 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold12 View Post
    The precious metals wash coat is on the surface of the monolith, poor air filter maintenance is the major cause of platinum roadside pollution. It's well documented, Cody's Lab even did an experiment from dust swept up from a highway that proves it.

    As I've demonstrated with ultrasonic's and a few other experiments like freezing the cat the wash coat is easily removed, there could be a valid argument that I'm not recovering all the values present.

    But after shipping out a drum of milled cat with 580 pounds of milled cat comb from which I had an independent assay done with American Analytical showing my comb had a value of $35.00 us per pound and should have received back from the refinery in the neighborhood of $20,00.00 but instead got a measly $6,000.00.

    I had $6,000.00 into purchasing those cats plus an additional $500.00 for shipping and another $50.00 for brokerage fees, Legacy bankrupted my operation and I swore then and there to never put myself into a situation where I'm the lowest man in the food chain.

    Legacy consigned my shipment to Metalix who did the actual refining.

    Now ya all know how I felt getting bit by a shark, then after the wound healed decided if I could just recover the precious metals wash coat there would be no further need to be that low man in the food chain. My refinery options would be limitless, plus there would be no brokerage or $500.00 high shipping fee to ship a few hundred grams over hundreds of pounds of material.

    From the various experiments I'vm done all work, some are quicker at doing the work of removing the wash coat than others but the end results are the same.

    Now I'm going to add this toy, it's an engine cleaning gun that siphons a solvent then blows this with compressed air to remove dirt and grime from an engine block.

    My theory is that once a bit of precious metals wash coat has become liberated in just plain old water it will become the abrasive, the engine cleaning gun under pressure becomes a sand blaster but instead of using an aggressive media we're using wash coat

    Fortunately larceny does not reside in my soul, but just imagine a guy selling cats by the numbers on the canister had he first used high pressure water to remove the majority of the wash coat before selling the canister.

    I see a good legal argument here, buyer is buying a numbered canister with out an assay to prove values inside the canister. I wonder how the jury would rule on this, bet a good lawyer would win the case.

    Anyhow I've off to the jobber to purchase an engine cleaning gun for more experiments.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    If $6,000 bankrupted biz you had no business messing with it anyway

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:


  22. #74
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    If $6,000 bankrupted biz you had no business messing with it anyway

    Most people are to ashamed to admit they've been had and keep their mouth shut to avoid embarrassment or being ridiculed by neighbors friends and family, it's a well documented fact woman who'e been raped never file a report.

    I'm not the criminal, just another victim of having dealt with legacy who portrayed false credentials on their website.

    Its people .like you that make me want to go back and delete all the information that I've freely given, and yes it did cost me financially to get that knowledge no one spoon fed me.
    Last edited by blackgold12; 07-04-2019 at 10:29 AM.

  23. #75
    mikeinreco's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    1,118
    Thanked 4,365 Times in 1,983 Posts
    It didn't take long for you to begin to revert back to your old ways....after some of the sick **** you have posted here you have no business trying to cover up your true agenda with money losing schemes you come up with....your true colors will become evident soon

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:


  25. #76
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    It didn't take long for you to begin to revert back to your old ways....after some of the sick **** you have posted here you have no business trying to cover up your true agenda with money losing schemes you come up with....your true colors will become evident soon
    Ouch! Did you by chance loose money on one of my schemes .

    mikeinreco, Are you not celebrating the Great American holiday, happy July 4th to those celebrating this great event.

  26. #77
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    I needed to replenish my pot metal supply so we went on a road trip visiting five landfill sites, on the third found a box of the satellite receivers used to be called LNA's.

    Pot metal has a good percentage of zinc alloyed into it and I use it to cement values.

    The satellite things have some nice boards inside the gold ones are abvious but had a surprise on the silver ones, did and nitric acid test. The acid lifted the silver material then ate the copper.

    Nitric will dissolve silver and take palladium into solution, but not platinum which is more resistant. The black residue you see around the test area is platinum.





  27. The Following User Says Thank You to blackgold12 for This Post:


  28. #78
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    165.3 grams., no explanation necessary.


  29. The Following User Says Thank You to blackgold12 for This Post:


  30. #79
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Almost lost it, I had turned off the heat under the large beaker to come in for lunch - hate boil overs.

    Came back and turned the rheostat at two a very low simmer, when I heard a loud snap. I"ve heard this sound before and it means the beaker has cracked, fortunately this time it was only a crack and nothing leaked out and was able to transfer the leach into another beaker for safe keeping.

    Man oh man just look at that palladium rich leach.

    The solids I've left in the large five liter beaker this will be a bit of trash along with undissolved platinum and rhodium.

    Last edited by blackgold12; 07-06-2019 at 03:51 PM.

  31. #80
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
    Snowman and his four friends are now leaving the forum, we hope that you all have learned just how loosely the wash coat is adhered onto the comb and how easy it is to remove

    The 165.3 grams of precious metals wash coat was recovered by the means I"ve discussed on this thread and now the barren comb still looks just as it had when removed from the canister.

    1. Freezing the comb in water and requires no further chemicals to remove the wash coat.

    2. A three to ten percent hydrogen peroxide in water to cover the comb will loosen the wash coat, the down side some palladium will go into solution which will have to be slightly made acidic then cemented out with zinc or pot metal.

    3. Ultra sonic tank using 25 MHz transducers will loosen the wash coat.

    4. Water with soap that has been totally emulsified via ultrasonics used as a flotation agent when a tad of hydrogen peroxide is added foaming takes place, the precious metals attach to the foam. Pass a flame of heat from another source to collapse the foam that has been skimmed off or your going to need a lot of pails to contain the huge amount of foam. Lastly this flotation agent would probably best be suited to ball milled comb.

    5. Removing wash coat from foils, electrolytic cell connect a positive lead from an old pc power supply to the foil.

    Use a sheet of stainless as your cathode, as the nickel from the foil is being plated over to the cathode the wash coat is being undermined and has nothing left to hold onto

    6. If your using the engine wash siphon gun, use a small drum half full of water and recycle the water a drop of dish soap will break surface tension and help to settle out the values. This information is intended for personal use and we do not want to see your name on the docket.

    Of the twenty thousand refineries listed world wide they'll be happy to purchase that wash coat powder, when selling refer to your material as bench sweeps.

    Diesel cats are predominately palladium, and you'll find that auto cats favor palladium, look at the assay results below. I hope the prices you al are getting reflect the increase in the price of Palladium and Rhodium.


    Here are the assay numbers from the city run vehicles. Based on a 2000 pound ton, it appears that there's a tad over a gram of palladium per pound of comb.

    Palladium 2736 PPM
    Platinum 979 PPM
    Rhodium 374 PPM





    Last edited by blackgold12; 07-07-2019 at 08:30 AM.


  32. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Maximizing on your scrap catylitic converters
      By gustavus in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM
    2. My next project
      By Julie in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 08-27-2012, 05:56 PM
    3. My next project
      By thirsty in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-18-2012, 08:45 PM
    5. My New Project
      By imyourgirl in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 01-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook