Results 1 to 19 of 19

Selling silver coins

| More than Scrap Value
  1. #1
    mike1 started this thread.
    mike1's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    north liberty indiana
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts

    Selling silver coins

    I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get more from a person rather than going to a coin shop cause I have 13 dollars in 90% silver Franklin's,a Kennedy,and some walking liberty half and some other coins not silver what about craigslist or any alternatives that are maybe safer?



  2. #2
    RLS0812's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Clearfield County PA
    Posts
    770
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 518 Times in 294 Posts
    Most coin shops, in my personal experience, will only pay scrap value for common silver coins.
    According to Ebay, Franklin half dollars in circulated condition sell for $3 - $4 each LINK

  3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by RLS0812:


  4. #3
    wildliferacer's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLS0812 View Post
    Most coin shops, in my personal experience, will only pay scrap value for common silver coins.
    According to Ebay, Franklin half dollars in circulated condition sell for $3 - $4 each LINK
    lol i agree

  5. #4
    JohnC4X4's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South East Ma
    Posts
    949
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 489 Posts
    Some research that might help
    This first one pays 10X (plus a little) face value for 1964 and earlier coins >> https://www.coinsonline.com/product-...-half-dollars/

    1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Value | CoinTrackers >> Also be sure to look to the right on that page as a LOT of helpful links

    U.S. Silver Half Dollar Melt Value Calculator

    Where to Sell Silver Coins for Cash (8 Options)

  6. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by JohnC4X4:


  7. #5
    BurlyGuys's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Waterford Michigan
    Posts
    1,589
    Thanks
    1,105
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 631 Posts
    Was told by my precious metals dealer that silver coins should be kept as they are worth about 10x face value. In case the SHTF, it's hard to pay for a loaf of bread if all you have are one ounce coins, but you can buy it with a silver dime.




    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC4X4 View Post
    Some research that might help
    This first one pays 10X (plus a little) face value for 1964 and earlier coins >> https://www.coinsonline.com/product-...-half-dollars/

    1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Value | CoinTrackers >> Also be sure to look to the right on that page as a LOT of helpful links

    U.S. Silver Half Dollar Melt Value Calculator

    Where to Sell Silver Coins for Cash (8 Options)
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

  8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BurlyGuys:


  9. #6
    auminer's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Allen, TX
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 678 Posts
    Bummer you're not close to me. I'd give you spot price cash for them.

    Unless you just REALLY REALLY NEED the 150 bucks or so RIGHT NOW, I'd say just keep them. Silver's undervalued right now, although, it stubbornly has STAYED undervalued ever since that silly spike to 50something in 2011.
    Out of clutter, find simplicity. --Albert Einstein

  10. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by auminer:


  11. #7
    mike1 started this thread.
    mike1's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    north liberty indiana
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auminer View Post
    Bummer you're not close to me. I'd give you spot price cash for them.

    Unless you just REALLY REALLY NEED the 150 bucks or so RIGHT NOW, I'd say just keep them. Silver's undervalued right now, although, it stubbornly has STAYED undervalued ever since that silly spike to 50something in 2011.
    Lol yeah that figures wow that would b better.

  12. #8
    RLS0812's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Clearfield County PA
    Posts
    770
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 518 Times in 294 Posts
    Silver use to be priced under $5 for many MANY years.
    Since deregulation in the mid 60's, the price has only spiked twice - once because of the Hunt Brothers scandal, and the other during the 2008 real estate / financial bubble popping.


    Edit: in the last 5 years, there has been no real volatility in silver. In my opinion, there is no point holding on to something that appreciates in value less than the inflation rate.
    Last edited by RLS0812; 06-09-2018 at 02:00 AM.

  13. #9
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked 124 Times in 70 Posts
    By the way, silver never officially hit $50 in late April, 2011- it got up to about $49.86ish late on a Sunday night, but never punched through $50. It did punch through the $50 level in January, 1980.

    RE: selling silver there are several things to consider. If a dealer (or person for that matter) senses that you don't know what you are doing, it is human nature that they might try to take advantage of you. They might call the coins "slicks" (heavily worn coins like the Walking Liberties might be). They might say they have been cleaned improperly and would be hard to sell, etc. One thing you might try to do is to go to a coin show in your area that has at least three dealers willing to pay cash for silver. That shouldn't be hard to do in most parts of the U.S. Then go to each dealer. Tell them you are shopping for the best deal and don't tell them the other person's prices. You should get a better deal this way. Also, a website with up-to-date silver pricing information is coininfo.com. You might want to also check to make sure that you don't have any rare or scarce dates such as all halves from 1921.

  14. #10
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked 124 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLS0812 View Post
    Silver use to be priced under $5 for many MANY years.
    Since deregulation in the mid 60's, the price has only spiked twice - once because of the Hunt Brothers scandal, and the other during the 2008 real estate / financial bubble popping.


    Edit: in the last 5 years, there has been no real volatility in silver. In my opinion, there is no point holding on to something that appreciates in value less than the inflation rate.
    Everyone seems to mention the Hunt Bros. when talking about the big silver spike in the late 70's and early 1980. But how does that account for gold going from $35 to $875 an ounce at the same time silver made it's big move? Also, the Hunt Brothers made a big mistake IMHO by borrowing to finance their silver purchases. Some would say this was collusion, but when the banks refused to lend anymore to them and when the exchanges said they would accept sellers only, but not buyers (an exception was made for certain parties buying to close out a short position) the metal was in a position where it should have been obvious that it was in for a big fall.

    I do frequently wonder if there are some wealthy parties trying to figure out how to corner the silver market without using margin, so they don't have to worry about loans being cut off or called in. And it wouldn't have to be silver. It could perhaps be something like nickel or an exotic rare earth element.

    The silver market is EXTREMELY difficult to gauge and a lot of that has to do with paper shorting of silver. The paper markets are said to be 100 times as big or larger than the market for physical silver. If you want a more in-depth analysis, look up what Ted (Theodore) Butler of Florida has to say about this. It has been used to manipulate the price of silver for many years.

    I remember back in late 2010 there was talk about those owning silver futures doing the unthinkable and demanding that the physical silver be made available for delivery rather than taking cash. I also remember some people saying they were offered cash premiums of 20-30% to take cash as a substitute for the physical silver. It was a very interesting time. Complicated subject for sure.

  15. #11
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked 124 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLS0812 View Post
    Most coin shops, in my personal experience, will only pay scrap value for common silver coins.
    According to Ebay, Franklin half dollars in circulated condition sell for $3 - $4 each LINK
    $3 to $4 for 90% silver halves is a total ripoff unless there is something seriously wrong with the coins (i.e., they are mutilated or super ugly for some reason). You should be able to get more than that for average condition silver halves.

  16. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by recyclersteve:


  17. #12
    RLS0812's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Clearfield County PA
    Posts
    770
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 518 Times in 294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by recyclersteve View Post
    $3 to $4 for 90% silver halves is a total ripoff unless there is something seriously wrong with the coins (i.e., they are mutilated or super ugly for some reason). You should be able to get more than that for average condition silver halves.
    In that case, I will sell all the silver coins I receive to you
    Common silver coins are not worth much on the resale end, but if you claim they are worth more, I'll gladly buy them from Ebay, and sell them to you !
    But how does that account for gold going from $35 to $875
    Deregulation . The price was fixed by the US government at $35 /oz until 1972.

  18. #13
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    739
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 690 Posts
    Honestly, you don't have that much. Price around at coin shops to see who buys junk for the highest price. You are not someone who is going to accumulate or flip silver and gold, so just get what you can and move on. There is something that you do the cash will make a meaningful contribution to.

  19. #14
    Ticonderoga's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 83 Times in 36 Posts
    I buy lots of coins - both US and World coins, silver and non-silver. That said -- another option is to check your local auction companies. I've seen some coins go for 2x - 4x book value, even for common dates & grades. Even after a normal 20% commission you can normally make more money that way than selling to a coin dealer. Make sure to check your dates and mint marks. If you have a semi-key or key date that is worth good money, even if in only good condition.

  20. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Ticonderoga:


  21. #15
    t00nces2's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    739
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    I buy lots of coins - both US and World coins, silver and non-silver. That said -- another option is to check your local auction companies. I've seen some coins go for 2x - 4x book value, even for common dates & grades. Even after a normal 20% commission you can normally make more money that way than selling to a coin dealer. Make sure to check your dates and mint marks. If you have a semi-key or key date that is worth good money, even if in only good condition.
    Good call. Check for any key date coins... https://www.pcgs.com/prices/

  22. #16
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,469
    Thanks
    5,544
    Thanked 5,480 Times in 2,369 Posts
    I would save them its less than $200 dollars, if you get into a bind then you can sell them, hopefully they will go up in value. Some people turn in a % of there scrap $ and buy silver with it, as it was "found" money. This may be a way for you to build up some money for the future.
    Better than the dump!

  23. #17
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,469
    Thanks
    5,544
    Thanked 5,480 Times in 2,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLS0812 View Post
    In that case, I will sell all the silver coins I receive to you
    Common silver coins are not worth much on the resale end, but if you claim they are worth more, I'll gladly buy them from Ebay, and sell them to you !

    Deregulation . The price was fixed by the US government at $35 /oz until 1972.
    Looks like half dollars are worth $6 Silver Coin Melt Values with Live Silver Prices - Coinflation

  24. #18
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Youngstown, OH
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 277 Times in 190 Posts
    People have been robbed and killed by crackheads answering craigslist ads for gold and silver.

    When I ditched a bunch of silver bullion when the prices were $35/oz I just hit a gold/silver buyer/seller. Sure I could have got more money from individuals but I could also have gotten mugged or given fake money.

    Misc circulated silver I just keep around because I like large silver coins, not worth the effort to sell.

  25. #19
    ScrapToTheFuture's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Sep 2018
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    For easy sale I go to shops. But if I'm not in a hurry a put a collector's price on items I know people are willing to pay for. So it usually depends on how fast you wanna sell.


  26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Scrapping foreign coins (not silver or gold!)
      By thebugguy in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 04-29-2018, 11:50 AM
    2. Goodwill store returns silver coins donated by mistake!
      By hobo finds in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook