Results 1 to 15 of 15

Motherboards

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
  1. #1
    ScrapmanIndustries started this thread.
    ScrapmanIndustries's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Easton, Pa
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 79 Times in 36 Posts

    Motherboards

    Question about grading motherboards, I'm new to scrapping electronics the right way and have read as much as I could find about grading motherboards. I read that they're graded by the CPU chip socket thing but was wondering if color had anything to do with grading them as well. I took a few, (not more then 10 as im not a big e-waste guy) to this one yard on my way to work and they said that mother boards get graded as mid grade boards unless they're green on both sides. Does this sound right to you e-waste guys? The yard I took them to is mainly a steel yard that actually rivials the yard I work for 3 miles down the road so I don't really think they know much about the E-waste either. Its just convienent going there since I drive by them to get to work anyway. Also whats a good scrap price for CPU's? That yard said $5 a pound so I kept all the gold bearing stuff till i heard from an bigger electronic scrap yard.


  2. #2
    4barrel's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada, Iowa
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    I'd recommend holding onto all the CPUs you get and send them to one of our buyers here on the forum once you have enough to fill a flat rate box.

  3. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by 4barrel:


  4. #3
    mthomasdev's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pittsfield, ma
    Posts
    930
    Thanks
    227
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapmanIndustries View Post
    Question about grading motherboards, I'm new to scrapping electronics the right way and have read as much as I could find about grading motherboards. I read that they're graded by the CPU chip socket thing but was wondering if color had anything to do with grading them as well. I took a few, (not more then 10 as im not a big e-waste guy) to this one yard on my way to work and they said that mother boards get graded as mid grade boards unless they're green on both sides. Does this sound right to you e-waste guys? The yard I took them to is mainly a steel yard that actually rivials the yard I work for 3 miles down the road so I don't really think they know much about the E-waste either. Its just convienent going there since I drive by them to get to work anyway. Also whats a good scrap price for CPU's? That yard said $5 a pound so I kept all the gold bearing stuff till i heard from an bigger electronic scrap yard.
    Some buyers do have a lower price for colored motherboarrds. In regards to the cpu, I would give them all my pin less green fiber (with heatsink) for $5. All the rest, I would use a buyer on the forum. I would suggest that you check prices on here. Steel yards will generally not give you the best bang for the buck.

  5. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by mthomasdev:


  6. #4
    HipoGear's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    May 2015
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    1,668
    Thanked 733 Times in 326 Posts
    Did they tell you what they pay for mid-grade boards? Sounds like a losing proposition to me.
    Copper, brass, and Leather. 3 of my favorite things.

  7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by HipoGear:


  8. #5
    tski72's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 316 Times in 171 Posts
    Honestly, get yourself a 12 x 14 x 14 box and fill it with your boards and ship them to Ewasted, but I would have to agree with mthomasdev on the pinless cpu's that you receive, take those in for the 5 bucks a pound. Just keep your box somewhat sorted and under 70 pounds and you will do pretty well. Steel yards will not be able to compete with an e-waste buyer even when shipping is involved. Keep you memory in a separate bin and all the different cpu's sort out the best you can, the ones you see most nowadays are the cheap ones like p4 and newer, pinned and pinless. Any I-series cpu's send out for above scrap valve to one of the buyers here that deals with that. Last I remember, Ewasted deals in scrap only.

    Do some reading in the buyers section for the different e-waste buyers and their prices and who does what with shipping. It is a lot of information to absorb but it will be well worth it.

    If you still have any specific questions, ask your buyer of choice or just PM me and I'll help you the best I can.

    Happy scrapping
    Cleaning up the e-waste one company at a time

  9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by tski72:


  10. #6
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,153
    Thanks
    1,787
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 984 Posts
    Normally Motherboards are graded into... Large and small socket. That's the main divide.

    Really its...
    Server boards, two large sockets
    Server boards, two small sockets
    Mother boards, large socket
    Mother boards, small socket
    Mother boards, slot processor (no CPU socket at all)
    Mother boards, Laptop.

    You can divide large socket Motherboards into, RCA connection (pre USB), and with USB connections- flat sockets for keyboard etc.

    You can divide small socket Motherboards into, pinned and pinless CPU.

    If you find real old Motherboards, the CPU might be soldered direct to the board. It'd also probably have lots of bright Yellow Tantalum block capacitors on it as well. These are high grade boards. Servers, Mainframes, Telecom, Military.

    Coloured Motherboards (rainbow boards) and pinless Motherboards have the least amount of Gold in them.
    Your buyer is probably just buying in @ two grades, selling it on by the palletload, in thruck size transactions and their buyer is properly grading them, there's extra costs involved because your buyer sells less often and wages to pay for grading & potential losses, extra shipping.

    Purple ceramic CPU is where the $$$ is. The large 'Triple Gold' CPU (Gold cap, base & pins) have as much as 0.4gms of Gold all tied up in there. And downwards...

    The pinless CPU has as little as 0.01 gms of Gold tied up in it. Any suggestions about these are as varable as the Gold amounts... ie.
    Sometimes if you are posting these by mail, taking the Copper cap off saves you postage costs.
    Sometimes the Copper cap has a splash of Gold painted under it to help its heatsink ability's....... = loss of $ to the refiner.
    Last edited by eesakiwi; 07-13-2017 at 04:48 AM.

  11. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:


  12. #7
    ScrapmanIndustries started this thread.
    ScrapmanIndustries's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Easton, Pa
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 79 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tski72 View Post
    Honestly, get yourself a 12 x 14 x 14 box and fill it with your boards and ship them to Ewasted, but I would have to agree with mthomasdev on the pinless cpu's that you receive, take those in for the 5 bucks a pound. Just keep your box somewhat sorted and under 70 pounds and you will do pretty well. Steel yards will not be able to compete with an e-waste buyer even when shipping is involved. Keep you memory in a separate bin and all the different cpu's sort out the best you can, the ones you see most nowadays are the cheap ones like p4 and newer, pinned and pinless. Any I-series cpu's send out for above scrap valve to one of the buyers here that deals with that. Last I remember, Ewasted deals in scrap only.

    Do some reading in the buyers section for the different e-waste buyers and their prices and who does what with shipping. It is a lot of information to absorb but it will be well worth it.

    If you still have any specific questions, ask your buyer of choice or just PM me and I'll help you the best I can.

    Happy scrapping
    i may start doing that with the boards if its really worth it.

  13. #8
    ScrapmanIndustries started this thread.
    ScrapmanIndustries's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Easton, Pa
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 79 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4barrel View Post
    I'd recommend holding onto all the CPUs you get and send them to one of our buyers here on the forum once you have enough to fill a flat rate box.
    I actually was planning on doing that if i could get enough. I only got like 7 so far though

  14. #9
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,153
    Thanks
    1,787
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 984 Posts
    Learn how to clean the motherboards down too. You have to remove excess steel, Aluminium heatsinks, Battery's.
    I remove the little jumper jacks and the Brass plug screws too.

    I also wash the boards in a warm, slightly soapy, with some Meths (denatured ethanol) added for 'bite', water. (For a while I diverted the hot waste water from my dishwasher, lol) and dry them. I do spray the boards as soon as I open the computer tonkill germs and keep the dust down.
    Once I accidently inhaled a bit of loose dust from the computer and it got stuck in my throat, it stayed there for months.....
    I started wondering just what was in that dust, every spec of dust, germs and tar filled some that that computer ever came in contact with in the rooms it was in..... Ugh, spray it as soon as you see it!
    Power supply's get a dunking in the water.
    Actually, the gunk on the boards just rolls up into balls and rinses off, its easy and the boards are as clean as new boards.

    Removing the battery's is very very important, its a shipping hazard and if they find one battery it can cost you the whole load, plus.
    Some Apple Motherboards, and others, have a solid Lithium battery and it looks very similar to a capacitor.

  15. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:


  16. #10
    ScrapmanIndustries started this thread.
    ScrapmanIndustries's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Easton, Pa
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 79 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post
    Learn how to clean the motherboards down too. You have to remove excess steel, Aluminium heatsinks, Battery's.
    I remove the little jumper jacks and the Brass plug screws too.

    I also wash the boards in a warm, slightly soapy, with some Meths (denatured ethanol) added for 'bite', water. (For a while I diverted the hot waste water from my dishwasher, lol) and dry them. I do spray the boards as soon as I open the computer tonkill germs and keep the dust down.
    Once I accidently inhaled a bit of loose dust from the computer and it got stuck in my throat, it stayed there for months.....
    I started wondering just what was in that dust, every spec of dust, germs and tar filled some that that computer ever came in contact with in the rooms it was in..... Ugh, spray it as soon as you see it!
    Power supply's get a dunking in the water.
    Actually, the gunk on the boards just rolls up into balls and rinses off, its easy and the boards are as clean as new boards.

    Removing the battery's is very very important, its a shipping hazard and if they find one battery it can cost you the whole load, plus.
    Some Apple Motherboards, and others, have a solid Lithium battery and it looks very similar to a capacitor.
    Thanks. I haven't washed anything that i got for scrap so i can see why you would if your doing computers all day long. I normally take the aluminum heat sinks and battery off. And when theres plastic around the cpu area i take that off as well. Do you have to take off the reciever ends that the wires plug into when the computers whole or no just leave em be?

  17. #11
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,153
    Thanks
    1,787
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 984 Posts
    If there's 'Tinsle' around the sockets I take it off, its just the thin metal sheet that's held on by the Chromed Brass standoffs (for the 2 plug screws to screw into)

    The actual metal folded around the sockets can stay on.

  18. #12
    parrothead's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Posts
    2,420
    Thanks
    668
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 948 Posts
    One wild card to add to this. Although the pinless processors may fetch the lowest price for scrap, when sold on e-bay they may fetch a higher price from speculators searching for working resalable chips. I have experienced this.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:


  20. #13
    Breakage's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 132 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post
    Learn how to clean the motherboards down too. You have to remove excess steel, Aluminium heatsinks, Battery's.
    I remove the little jumper jacks and the Brass plug screws too.

    I also wash the boards in a warm, slightly soapy, with some Meths (denatured ethanol) added for 'bite', water. (For a while I diverted the hot waste water from my dishwasher, lol) and dry them. I do spray the boards as soon as I open the computer tonkill germs and keep the dust down.
    Once I accidently inhaled a bit of loose dust from the computer and it got stuck in my throat, it stayed there for months.....
    I started wondering just what was in that dust, every spec of dust, germs and tar filled some that that computer ever came in contact with in the rooms it was in..... Ugh, spray it as soon as you see it!
    Power supply's get a dunking in the water.
    Actually, the gunk on the boards just rolls up into balls and rinses off, its easy and the boards are as clean as new boards.

    Removing the battery's is very very important, its a shipping hazard and if they find one battery it can cost you the whole load, plus.
    Some Apple Motherboards, and others, have a solid Lithium battery and it looks very similar to a capacitor.
    Tell me about it. I'm surprised I haven't picked up Hanta virus from all of the mouse turds.

  21. #14
    Breakage's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 132 Times in 79 Posts
    The only things I remove are the heatsink, fan, and any batteries. No complants or deductions thus far from forum buyers.

  22. #15
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    4,982
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Yards around here have 2 category's for scrap boards, brown and green with green paying a little more. Funny one yard mixes all boards together and puts it on the ticket as motherboards price from $.05 to $.15 depending on the day! Best to sell low grade boards to scrapyards and mid grade and higher to a buyer here if it makes sense with the shipping costs.



  23. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Motherboards 627 lbs
      By computergirl in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-29-2017, 10:02 AM
    2. This thead is a question - motherboards
      By Mvpvlad in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 12-25-2015, 08:20 PM
    3. Green Motherboards VS. Colored "Chinese" Motherboards
      By BohemianLush in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 12-04-2012, 03:24 AM
    4. TV Motherboards
      By MvPElectronicRecycling in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-19-2012, 01:14 AM
    5. How not to buy motherboards
      By HLH&R Metals Recycling in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: 07-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook