Results 1 to 11 of 11

Appliances and Tires

| Beginners Start Here - Metal Recycling Basics
  1. #1
    nagol68 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Appliances and Tires

    Hey all, first post here (other than into post)! I'm looking and how to properly get rid of appliances without completely tearing them down for hours at a time. I had a stove and fridge I just took. I cut cords/wires off, cut the compressor out, and a 6" brass tube then dumped the rest of it and $0.03/lb as shred. Is this right? I see people saying that they are "light iron" which is worth a lot more than that, but when I pulled up to the scale at my yard they told me to head to the shed pile and dump everything there. I'm planning to pick up a washer, fridge, and stove tonight and hoping to make more out of it.

    Also, I'm talking with a guy who is going to give me 50 golf cart rims. Mix of steel and alum.. What's the best way to go about this?



  2. #2
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 165 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nagol68 View Post
    Hey all, first post here (other than into post)! I'm looking and how to properly get rid of appliances without completely tearing them down for hours at a time. I had a stove and fridge I just took. I cut cords/wires off, cut the compressor out, and a 6" brass tube then dumped the rest of it and $0.03/lb as shred. Is this right? I see people saying that they are "light iron" which is worth a lot more than that, but when I pulled up to the scale at my yard they told me to head to the shed pile and dump everything there. I'm planning to pick up a washer, fridge, and stove tonight and hoping to make more out of it.

    Also, I'm talking with a guy who is going to give me 50 golf cart rims. Mix of steel and alum.. What's the best way to go about this?
    First thing you can do is to stop cutting out refrigeration compressors loaded with freon, big fines attached.

    Remove tires from rims separate steel rims from aluminum rims then transport load to scrapyard and bring home some cash.

  3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by blackgold12:


  4. #3
    nagol68 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I had my HVAC buddy tap it and remove it for me actually. Compressors here go for $0.35lb, so I figured I'd sell it that way.

    What's the best way to remove the tire? Sawzall? Don't want to spend 30 min on a tire to bring in $2 lol

  5. #4
    greytruck's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    1,477
    Thanks
    1,180
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nagol68 View Post
    Compressors here go for $0.35lb
    Ummmm .35/lb for sealed units??? im getting .08/lb

  6. #5
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 165 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nagol68 View Post
    I had my HVAC buddy tap it and remove it for me actually. Compressors here go for $0.35lb, so I figured I'd sell it that way.

    What's the best way to remove the tire? Sawzall? Don't want to spend 30 min on a tire to bring in $2 lol
    Your buddy's ticket number is public record, care to share.

    Zip blade cut the bead.

    Last edited by blackgold12; 09-10-2019 at 07:22 PM.

  7. #6
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    689
    Thanks
    2,119
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 438 Posts
    Depends on the kind of tire. Some come off quick with a slegde and pry bar, some with just the pry after deflating it. If it's more like a car tire a sawzall or grinder work equally well but be careful with a grinder on aluminum rims as it will kick up dust into your eyes if you're not careful. You only have to cut through the bead on the edge of the rim then the tire should come off easy. My best recommendation for appliances, rims and everything else is to take time to search the forum on these topics. Most answers are already there as are stories of learning curves on what gets you the best returns on your various pick-ups.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JJinLV for This Post:


  9. #7
    nagol68 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

    Member since
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greytruck View Post
    Ummmm .35/lb for sealed units??? im getting .08/lb
    Sorry, I don't know why i had a brain fart, but it's $0.10/lb. Alum. was $0.35/lb.

  10. #8
    eesakiwi's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor



    Member since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    2,465
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,134 Posts
    You can cut open the fridge compressors for 2 Lbs of Copper wire & scrap steel of 2 or 3 grades.
    Good on you for getting the Freon recycled properly.
    Fridges have lots of plastic & foam in them, its Shred steel, needs to be shredded & they still have to pay to get rid of the waste.
    Check all of the tubing with a magnet, often theres painted Copper attached to the compressor.
    Check its condensor, late model fridges sometimes have little Aluminium radiators in them.
    Get the plastic coated wires, its all $ once you have a sack full of it.
    Little fans in the frost free fridges, inc some Copper wire.

    Ali wheel rims? Sledgehammer...
    Last edited by eesakiwi; 09-13-2019 at 02:31 PM.

  11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:


  12. #9
    hobo finds's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tucson, az
    Posts
    4,613
    Thanks
    5,824
    Thanked 5,707 Times in 2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post
    You can cut open the fridge compressors for 2 Lbs of Copper wire & scrap steel of 2 or 3 grades.
    Good on you for getting the Freon recycled properly.
    Fridges have lots of plastic & foam in them, its Shred steel, needs to be shredded & they still have to pay to get rid of the waste.
    Check all of the tubing with a magnet, often theres painted Copper attached to the compressor.
    Check its condensor, late model fridges sometimes have little Aluminium radiators in them.
    Get the plastic coated wires, its all $ once you have a sack full of it.
    Little fans in the frost free fridges, inc some Copper wire.

    Ali wheel rims? Sledgehammer...
    Yep crazy that yards could sell fluff, auto shredder residue. Now it is another cost keeping the price of shred down. In Arizona another factor is our minimum wage increase next year it will be $12 a hour up from $11
    Better than the dump!

  13. #10
    ScrapmanIndustries's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Easton, Pa
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 268 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nagol68 View Post
    Hey all, first post here (other than into post)! I'm looking and how to properly get rid of appliances without completely tearing them down for hours at a time. I had a stove and fridge I just took. I cut cords/wires off, cut the compressor out, and a 6" brass tube then dumped the rest of it and $0.03/lb as shred. Is this right? I see people saying that they are "light iron" which is worth a lot more than that, but when I pulled up to the scale at my yard they told me to head to the shed pile and dump everything there. I'm planning to pick up a washer, fridge, and stove tonight and hoping to make more out of it.

    Also, I'm talking with a guy who is going to give me 50 golf cart rims. Mix of steel and alum.. What's the best way to go about this?
    at some yards shred and light iron are interchangeable. steel is down alot right now apparently. You don't have to spend hours tearing apart appliances. Takes me 30 seconds to completely tear apart most white goods. with the exception of some washers that have really unserviceable designs. the best way to separate a tire from rim is with a rim crusher. or log splitter for golf cart sizes. if you don't have that a plasma cutter. cut around the rim completely. then cut each side into 3 sections if you can't break the bead. if you don't have that i'm not sure. never cut a golf cart tire. car tires take forever no matter what you do. unless your not in america then they seem to not use as much steel belting. I could be wrong on that though. but if you wanna see how i tear apart appliances i made a few youtube videos. some are on here. some you gotta look at my channel on youtube to see. same name just add in "scrap processing" at the end of it. keep in mind though that i'm a scrapper first and just learning how to film things. I will get better though after i'm back from playing army. others on here also have a few better ways of tearing stuff apart if your trying to not completely destroy everything you touch.

  14. #11
    MattInTheHat's Avatar
    SMF Badges of Honor


    Member since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    rock hill, sc
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    1,131
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 697 Posts
    Dont forget that there is a buyer for some appliance parts on here.

    Harbor freight has a manual tire changer that works better than just bars for a non pro.


  15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

    1. Used tires
      By Regrind in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 06-01-2015, 03:50 AM
    2. Tires
      By forwardlookguy in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 42
      Last Post: 03-26-2014, 01:08 AM
    3. This thead is a question - tires?
      By hunterandscrapper in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 03-23-2014, 01:54 PM
    4. tires tires tires
      By blue9249 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 01-28-2014, 11:51 PM
    5. tires
      By scrapping4ever in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

 
Browse the Most Recent Threads
On SMF In THIS CATEGORY.





OR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The Scrap Metal Forum

    The Scrap Metal Forum is the #1 scrap metal recycling community in the world. Here we talk about the scrap metal business, making money, where we connect with other scrappers, scrap yards and more.

SMF on Facebook and Twitter

Twitter Facebook