I am shopping for a cutting torch set up and wonder if anyone has any recommendations as to what to buy. The equipment seems to be quite expensive and I don't want to spend more than necessary. Here is my situation:
- I have a Ford F350 with a utility body and want to put the torch and tanks inside a cabinet which has a door opening height of 36" and 42" height inside.
- I need to buy a cutting torch to scrap some farm equipment and a forklift.
- I would also like to have the flexibility to do different kinds of small jobs for myself such as welding and heating as the need arises but cutting is the primary concern today.
Here are my questions:
- How much should I plan to spend to get a decent setup?
- Is buying used equipment a bad idea or do the torches hold up well?
- Since I have nothing at this point, should I buy a starter kit?
- Is buying a well known name brand such as Victor important?
- Which fuel, acetylene or propane?
- If propane is the way to go, should I buy an acetylene starter kit and then swap out the regulator?
- What size cutting tips should I have in my tool box?
- Torches seem to come in light, medium and heavy duty. Do I need to buy the heavy duty equipment?
- I am concerned about starting fires in dry farm fields. Any thoughts?
- Any other recommendations?
Thanks so much for your help!