There is a motor in there...but not worth the time...or the mess of removing it.
Be picky at your own risk
Try, though. I've taken microwaves to two different yards with no problems.
People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.
That is a good deal, wish our scrap yard would take them as is.
Near me, microwaves are taken without a problem. Inside each microwave is one giant transformer that can be sold for copper breakage or motor price. There is also a small amount of industrial grade wire. You may want to experiment with cutting these out and selling them. If you come across a large number of microwaves, it WILL be worth it!
Also to keep in mind: every microwave has a magnetron. Magnetrons are the microwave generating devices inside of microwave ovens, and they are made of a copper core and have several magnets. There is a small market for used magnetrons, but they are sold on Ebay and possibly at repair shops near your scrap yard.
There is no such thing as a radon plate. Radon is a noble gas. There is nothing like that in microwaves. I have no idea what your yard man was talking about.they may refuse it if the microwave still has the radon plate in it. I had 2 one day and he said that they couldn't take them unless they were removed.
Since then I've gotten five more microwaves. I've been taking the motors out of them. Just takes a few minutes, it's worth it for me.
I have done a post about Microwaves. Tells you almost (I'm always learning..) everything you need to know.
also dont forget to throw a small oven burrito in there first to see if it still works for resale!
The yard I go to will take them as long as the capacitor is taken out...
One of my yards is NADA about microwaves because of the magnetron. so I just break them down and turn them in at the other yard and so far they haven't said anything. I just dont' turn in the tube from the magnetron.
I remove the megatron and mix them in with my electric motors
They only thing dangerous in the magnetron are the two pink ceramic pieces. They contain berylium oxide which is a carcinogen and more toxic than lead. So long as you don't smash 'em and breath it in you should be fine. I take it all apart and cut those ends off to get at that chunk of copper in between 'em.
Eat. Sleep. Scrap.
mj....please read through these threads and learn how to do things safely before you hurt yourself.
Omg, I never smashed one I didn't know they had anything in them but I'm too afraid to now what with zakmattingly said about the berylium in them. Do you cut below the pink ends? So the copper I'm assuming is in the fat middle part of the magnetraon then. I think I'm happy not breaking them!
Last edited by zakmattingly; 07-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Thanks Mechanic! is that link a part of this site? How do you access it from here I dont see a way.
did you try clicking on the address ? that worked for me, attitude.
There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)